Vonage or Sipgate or Freetalk

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by SidKnee, Oct 8, 2005.

  1. SidKnee

    SidKnee Guest

    I am looking for a service to replace my NTL phoneline.

    However, I would like to ensure that theservice is SIP compatible and can
    beused with FWD simulataneously asIuse FWD actively.

    Can anyone offer advice?

    Sidkney
     
    SidKnee, Oct 8, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. SidKnee

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "SidKnee" <> wrote in
    message news:xIN1f.9519$
    > I am looking for a service to replace my NTL phoneline.
    >
    > However, I would like to ensure that theservice is SIP
    > compatible and can beused with FWD simulataneously asIuse
    > FWD actively.
    > Can anyone offer advice?
    >
    > Sidkney


    Can you explain what you mean by use with FWD simultaneously..? Sipgate
    etc. are independent services like FWD, I don't understand what you mean
    by use simultaneously. If you mean use both services at the same time then
    yes you can but you would need an ATA with two or more independent phone
    ports like the Sipura 2000.

    Ivor
     
    Ivor Jones, Oct 8, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. SidKnee

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 11:03:57 GMT, "SidKnee"
    <> wrote:

    >I am looking for a service to replace my NTL phoneline.
    >
    >However, I would like to ensure that theservice is SIP compatible and can
    >beused with FWD simulataneously asIuse FWD actively.
    >
    >Can anyone offer advice?
    >
    >Sidkney
    >

    If you want to use more than one outgoing provider then you will need
    to choose your ATA carefully.
    However, this all depends on whether you are able to set up the ATA.
    If you feel confident to do that then I wouldn't go for any of the
    providers you mentioned.
    Do your outgoing calls on voipbuster (free UK calls) and use voipfone
    as a main provider because it is polished and relatively reliable.
    Voipfone do sell ATAs. They may be ready set to operate on their
    system (check) but won't be locked(afaik).
    Call charges are 1p/min if you buy in £5 blocks. 056 incoming numbers
    are free but if you want a geographic it is £2/month. If you go for a
    free number my advice would be to choose an 056 and NOT an 0870 number
    as it is cheaper for your callers. On 18866 it is the same as a
    standard landline.
    The Sipura SAP-3000 ATA allows for ONE incoming/outgoing provider and
    4 outgoing providers. It will also link through to your landline
    phone (if you have one).
    In answer, though, to your specific question. I don't think that there
    will be much to choose between Vonage and Free talk - but Free talk is
    cheaper to run. As far as Sipgate is concerned - well my experience is
    negative. Good if you want a free geographic number - not so good if
    you want reliability.


    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
     
    Brian A, Oct 8, 2005
    #3
  4. SidKnee

    Mark Adamson Guest

    > The Sipura SAP-3000 ATA allows for ONE incoming/outgoing provider and
    > 4 outgoing providers. It will also link through to your landline
    > phone (if you have one).


    I agree with you on everything. Just to be pedantic, however, the Sipura
    3000 ATA supports more than 4 outgoing providers as you can actually put
    providers details straight in the dial plan itself. :)

    Mark
     
    Mark Adamson, Oct 8, 2005
    #4
  5. SidKnee

    GwG Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > Call charges are 1p/min if you buy in £5 blocks. 056 incoming numbers
    > are free but if you want a geographic it is £2/month. If you go for a
    > free number my advice would be to choose an 056 and NOT an 0870 number
    > as it is cheaper for your callers. On 18866 it is the same as a
    > standard landline.


    Be wary of 056 numbers, you will not be able to receive calls from a lot
    of NTL customers, because NTL have refused to enable a lot of exchanges
    to accept them, and nobody seems to be able to do anything about it.
     
    GwG, Oct 8, 2005
    #5
  6. SidKnee

    Guest

    On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 11:52:54 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:


    >In answer, though, to your specific question. I don't think that there
    >will be much to choose between Vonage and Free talk - but Free talk is
    >cheaper to run.

    You are right with what you say here Brian having had FT for a day or
    two now and also having Vonage the service is more or less the same
    between the two the main differences being with Vonage you can contact
    them 24/7 with FT it is Monday to Friday only and for some reason they
    close at 5.30 OUR TIME even though they are based in Nevada 8 hours
    behind us .The only other difference is that Vonage are on a 0800
    number FT on a 0871 .
    > As far as Sipgate is concerned - well my experience is
    >negative.

    Very negative has been my experience
    > Good if you want a free geographic number - not so good if
    >you want reliability.

    Most definitely .
     
    , Oct 8, 2005
    #6
  7. I you want no nonsense plug it in and use it go for Vonage or Freetalk. Yes
    you pay a monthly subscription but your local/national calls are all
    inclusive as are all the features including a geographic number.

    I am using Vonage at present, also have a freetalk box and both services are
    very good and will continue to improve over time.

    There is no emergency calls on Freetalk yet but it is coming.

    Vonage support is good and free should you need it.

    The freetalk box is very neat, if you cannot get this working quickly then
    I'd give up with VOIP as I cannot imagine anything been much easier.

    Vonage has some cleaver forwarding features. Firstly should you internet or
    voange service fail then your incoming calls will be automatically diverted
    to a number you predefine on the Voange web interface (possibly your
    mobile). Secondly you have simuring where you can effectively forward calls
    to a number of numbers that all ring together.. There are also hunt groups
    if you have more then 1 Vonage line.

    For approximately 30p per day I believe its value for money assuming you use
    the phone in the first place!

    Regards,

    Paul


    "SidKnee" <> wrote in message
    news:xIN1f.9519$...
    >I am looking for a service to replace my NTL phoneline.
    >
    > However, I would like to ensure that theservice is SIP compatible and can
    > beused with FWD simulataneously asIuse FWD actively.
    >
    > Can anyone offer advice?
    >
    > Sidkney
    >
     
    Paul Westwell, Oct 8, 2005
    #7
  8. SidKnee

    Sean Guest

    GwG wrote:
    > "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > news:p...
    >
    >>Call charges are 1p/min if you buy in £5 blocks. 056 incoming numbers
    >>are free but if you want a geographic it is £2/month. If you go for a
    >>free number my advice would be to choose an 056 and NOT an 0870 number
    >>as it is cheaper for your callers. On 18866 it is the same as a
    >>standard landline.

    >
    >
    > Be wary of 056 numbers, you will not be able to receive calls from a lot
    > of NTL customers, because NTL have refused to enable a lot of exchanges
    > to accept them, and nobody seems to be able to do anything about it.
    >
    >

    If a NTL user signs up to 1899 or 18866 they will be able to call them
    :) (Screw NTL, i'd tell them where to stick there service if they were
    providing me with a not fully functional service)
     
    Sean, Oct 8, 2005
    #8
  9. On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 12:13:18 GMT, "GwG"
    <> wrote:

    >Be wary of 056 numbers, you will not be able to receive calls from a lot
    >of NTL customers, because NTL have refused to enable a lot of exchanges
    >to accept them, and nobody seems to be able to do anything about it.


    based on my Usenet experiences I would see this as a massive advantage
    for 056 numbers.

    Phil
    --

    Usenet spam eaten by a Hamster http://www.tglsoft.de/
    No more cable clowns :))
    Please do not feed or re-quote the trolls.
     
    Phil Thompson, Oct 8, 2005
    #9
  10. SidKnee

    Guest

    On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 12:45:04 GMT, "Paul Westwell" <>
    wrote:


    >The freetalk box is very neat, if you cannot get this working quickly then
    >I'd give up with VOIP as I cannot imagine anything been much easier.

    After my experiences this week with FT I don't agree Paul it took no
    less than three replacement boxes from our local curry's store and two
    firmware upgrades before the monthly box kicked into life. The yearly
    box from Dixons just didn't want to know no matter what I did when I
    connected it to our TW Cable modem I was about to give up and decided
    to try it on our ADSL router and it fired up first time and is working
    just great .
    FT support person did tell me earlier in the week that they found many
    of the monthly boxes to be faulty .I don't think anyone will beat
    Vonage for good all round reliability and easy set up FT on the other
    hand is just fine once it is working .
     
    , Oct 8, 2005
    #10
  11. SidKnee

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 12:56:38 +0100, "Mark Adamson"
    <> wrote:

    >> The Sipura SAP-3000 ATA allows for ONE incoming/outgoing provider and
    >> 4 outgoing providers. It will also link through to your landline
    >> phone (if you have one).

    >
    >I agree with you on everything. Just to be pedantic, however, the Sipura
    >3000 ATA supports more than 4 outgoing providers as you can actually put
    >providers details straight in the dial plan itself. :)
    >
    >Mark
    >

    That is interesting and something I haven't tried.
    How do you put providers' into the dial plan?
    I have a 3000 but don't use the PSTN connection - though I do have
    plans to use iit as a door phone. It would make the SPA-2001, for
    example, much more attractive if it were possible to have the 2
    incoming providers and a larger number of outgoing providers.
    So, can you please give an example of the syntax as that is part of
    dial plan construction I don't know about.

    Further, so far I have assumed that the speed dial facility is limited
    to the main provider (e.g. 5#,6#,7# etc.). Does this technique extend
    to this too?
    (currently I include my speed dials in the main dial plan e.g.
    #1,#2,#3 etc)

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
     
    Brian A, Oct 8, 2005
    #11
  12. SidKnee

    GwG Guest

    "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 12:13:18 GMT, "GwG"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Be wary of 056 numbers, you will not be able to receive calls from a
    >>lot
    >>of NTL customers, because NTL have refused to enable a lot of
    >>exchanges
    >>to accept them, and nobody seems to be able to do anything about it.

    >
    > based on my Usenet experiences I would see this as a massive advantage
    > for 056 numbers.
    >


    Not if you were running a business, and NTL users were trying to ring to
    order your products ;-)
     
    GwG, Oct 8, 2005
    #12
  13. SidKnee

    Mark Adamson Guest

    >>
    >>I agree with you on everything. Just to be pedantic, however, the Sipura
    >>3000 ATA supports more than 4 outgoing providers as you can actually put
    >>providers details straight in the dial plan itself. :)
    >>
    >>Mark
    >>

    > That is interesting and something I haven't tried.
    > How do you put providers' into the dial plan?
    > I have a 3000 but don't use the PSTN connection - though I do have
    > plans to use iit as a door phone. It would make the SPA-2001, for
    > example, much more attractive if it were possible to have the 2
    > incoming providers and a larger number of outgoing providers.
    > So, can you please give an example of the syntax as that is part of
    > dial plan construction I don't know about.
    >
    > Further, so far I have assumed that the speed dial facility is limited
    > to the main provider (e.g. 5#,6#,7# etc.). Does this technique extend
    > to this too?
    > (currently I include my speed dials in the main dial plan e.g.
    > #1,#2,#3 etc)
    >


    Here's where I become a lazy bob and say read the dial plan thread on
    voxilla

    http://voxilla.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-619.html

    Seriously, it has 15 pages, but if you set an afternoon for reading it you
    will feel like a dial plan expert! and you will even see my own issues on it
    (which just seemed to disappear I think)

    I can't remember the syntax myself without looking through the thread.

    Enjoy...
    Mark
     
    Mark Adamson, Oct 8, 2005
    #13
  14. SidKnee

    Mark Adamson Guest

    > Seriously, it has 15 pages, but if you set an afternoon for reading it you
    > will feel like a dial plan expert! and you will even see my own issues on
    > it (which just seemed to disappear I think)
    >
    > I can't remember the syntax myself without looking through the thread.
    >
    > Enjoy...
    > Mark


    What I said still holds, but the first reply in the thread says to look to
    the sipura faq (on sipura site) for how to do the gateway stuff in the dial
    plan.
     
    Mark Adamson, Oct 8, 2005
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Maureen
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    896
  2. Replies:
    28
    Views:
    2,262
  3. BB

    Vonage or Freetalk

    BB, Apr 29, 2006, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    727
    Ivor Jones
    May 5, 2006
  4. dv
    Replies:
    21
    Views:
    1,266
  5. ^^artnada^^

    Freetalk transfering to Vonage!"!

    ^^artnada^^, Aug 30, 2006, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    1,033
Loading...

Share This Page