    I was looking at Vonage but are there any others out there? Also I would
    also like to use FWD which is SIP based? Any guidance?

    Sid

    Sidknee, Feb 13, 2006

  2. Sidknee

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:58:52 GMT, "Sidknee"
    <> wrote:

    >I am looking at reducing my calls and at the same time trying to get a 2nd
    >line that would have inclusive calls. NTL is currently costing me
    >14.50/month.
    >
    >I was looking at Vonage but are there any others out there? Also I would
    >also like to use FWD which is SIP based? Any guidance?
    >
    >Sid

    Yes - Vonage is a rip off. I can't understand why anyone, with any
    technical competence, would want to use it.
    For a very good incoming call service (1571, 1471 etc.) and reliabilty
    I'd choose voipfone.co.uk Their voicemail responds with a different
    message depending on whether you are unavailable or currently on
    another call. They have call waiting and caller display too.

    However, if you want a good tariff and reliabilty I'd choose
    voip.co.uk - £2/month for free evening and weekend UK calls(up to 1
    hour) and 2p per 1 hour UK call at peak times (geographic). Their
    voicemail service, when it works, is, currently, only very basic,
    but, I am given to understand, a new one is being developed. They
    have caller display and call waiting works well too. Currently no 1471
    equivalent.
    If the new voicemail proves to be good then voip.co.uk will be
    unbeatable in my opinion.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Feb 13, 2006

  3. Sidknee

    Guest

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 20:52:14 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >Yes - Vonage is a rip off. I can't understand why anyone, with any
    >technical competence, would want to use it.

    Vonage are not a rip off at all in fact Vonage provide a very good
    service for a modest cost ,how the hell can they be a rip off when for
    an outlay of 33 PENCE at day inclusive of ALL geographical calls
    within the UK and the all of Ireland router included .
    >For a very good incoming call service (1571, 1471 etc.) and reliabilty
    >I'd choose voipfone.co.uk

    But you do not get inclusive calls which is where the likes of Vonage
    and Freetalk shine through and don't forget with any providers like
    Sipgate Voipfone etc you also have the added cost of buying an ATA
    Which don't come cheap to start with unless you want to leave a
    computer running 24/7 .
    Did you conveniently forget to mention the added cost of an ATA in
    your hurry call to Vonage rip off merchants which they ARNT Brian .

    , Feb 13, 2006
  4. Sidknee

    Sidknee Guest

    <> wrote Vonage provide a very good
    > service for a modest cost ,how the hell can they be a rip off when for
    > an outlay of 33 PENCE at day inclusive of ALL geographical calls
    > within the UK and the all of Ireland router included .

    I checked the website and note that the PAP2 comes freee! Can the PAP2
    be used for other SIP based services like FWD/Pulver communicator/Sipgate
    etc. If it is locked what is involved in unlocking or is it not wrth the
    hassle.

    Sid

    Sidknee, Feb 13, 2006
  5. <> wrote ...

    > >Yes - Vonage is a rip off. I can't understand why anyone, with any
    > >technical competence, would want to use it.

    > Vonage are not a rip off at all in fact Vonage provide a very good
    > service for a modest cost ,how the hell can they be a rip off when...

    > ....and don't forget with any providers like Sipgate Voipfone etc
    > you also have the added cost of buying an ATA Which don't come
    > cheap...

    Tell me - is this the voice of a vested interest? If so then perhaps you
    should state that fact!

    To get what I am using now (two independent SIP phone lines) would cost me
    £18.99 PER MONTH, to "save" the £90 or so for my Sipura ATA + bits +
    adapters. In other words after only six months I have more than paid for
    this "free" ATA. Plus of course I would have a useless bit of locked down
    hardware physically tying me into the Vonage service, preventing me from
    trying alternative services.

    Of course Vonage are not interested in the likes of me, there is no facility
    at all for customers to use their own equipment, it's the tied in service or
    nothing.

    Do you also recommend that people rent video and DVD players?

    Keith L

    Keith Lawrence, Feb 13, 2006
  6. Sidknee

    Guest

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:46:32 -0000, "Keith Lawrence"
    <> wrote:

    >Tell me - is this the voice of a vested interest? If so then perhaps you
    >should state that fact!

    Nope I have just closed my Vonage account but only because I was not
    using it enough to justify the cost never the less I always intend
    giving Vonage a good name has never once did they fail me likewise
    with Voipfone and Freetalk . Unlike Sipgate who let me down no less
    than three times in the first month and a few times in the following
    three or four months until I got rid .
    >Of course Vonage are not interested in the likes of me, there is no facility
    >at all for customers to use their own equipment, it's the tied in service or
    >nothing.

    Vonage supply the equipment at no cost when you leave you send it back
    or you can buy your own Linksys 3 port router from Staples this does
    also have two phone ports which are tied to Vonage but if you leave
    you are still left with a good working router has I am now .
    >Do you also recommend that people rent video and DVD players?

    No why should I , I only recommend three voip providers Vonage
    Freetalk and Voipfone voipfone are good no mistaking that but you do
    have to go buying a ATA anything from £ 60 to 80 or more plus you have
    to pay for all calls plus £ 2.00 a month for a geo number if you want
    one.
    For less than £7.00 a month you get all UK geo number calls free with
    Freetalk and you pay 19.99 for the ATA which is tied to Freetalk.
    The cheapest is of course " voipcheap" but again unless you leave a
    computer running 24/7 you need an ATA but I would not like to rely on
    them has a sole provider and I certainly would not go buying an ATA
    just to use with Voipcheap although they are good considering you can
    dial many places in the world for free .

    , Feb 14, 2006
  7. Sidknee

    Niko Patera Guest

    I only recommend three voip providers Vonage Freetalk and Voipfone
    voipfone are good .....

    I am surprised you did not mention Hermes Broadband; they offer same
    service BUT with a WiFi option and unlimited calls to 30 countries!!!
    These guys must be loosing serious money; I don't know what their catch
    is. I googled "Hermes Communications" and I come across their
    communication satellite technology! cool stuff!

    Niko Patera, Feb 14, 2006
  8. Sidknee

    Niko Patera Guest

    Take a look of Hermes Boradband; mobile internet phone and unlimited
    calls to 20+ countries.

    Niko Patera, Feb 14, 2006
  9. Sidknee

    Telephoneman Guest

    "Niko Patera" <>

    SNIP>
    > I am surprised you did not mention Hermes Broadband; they offer same
    > service BUT with a WiFi option and unlimited calls to 30 countries!!!
    > These guys must be loosing serious money; I don't know what their catch
    > is. I googled "Hermes Communications" and I come across their
    > communication satellite technology! cool stuff!

    Perhaps you didn't notice that this is a UK group.

    WOW! unlimited calls to fixed lines for only £25 a month! Wi-fi, gosh! and
    only £175 for a phone that Voiptalk will sell you for £117.49. Amazingly,
    some people prefer not to do business with Companies that we think are
    "loosing serious money" (sic) on the grounds that it's a pain when they go
    bust.

    Telephoneman, Feb 14, 2006
  10. Sidknee

    Sidknee Guest

    "Sidknee" <> wrote
    Can the PAP2
    > be used for other SIP based services like FWD/Pulver communicator/Sipgate
    > etc. If it is locked what is involved in unlocking or is it not wrth the
    > hassle.

    Can the PAP2 offered free by Vonage be unlocked for simulataneours use with
    FWD or other Sip operators?

    Sid

    Sidknee, Feb 14, 2006
  11. Sidknee

    Guest

    Can an ordinary Voip ATA be used with voip.co.uk? I've checked their
    website out and it's a little confusing (only for me, I'm sure).

    They make reference to two "Freedom" accounts - one that includes
    hardware and the other a "Optional Freedom pack MTA" - what does this
    refer to?

    Adam

    , Feb 14, 2006
  12. Sidknee

    adam c Guest

    wrote:
    > Can an ordinary Voip ATA be used with voip.co.uk? I've checked their
    > website out and it's a little confusing (only for me, I'm sure).
    >
    > They make reference to two "Freedom" accounts - one that includes
    > hardware and the other a "Optional Freedom pack MTA" - what does this
    > refer to?
    >
    > Adam

    Damn Google groups - it didn't include the original post. I was
    referring to the provider voip.co.uk at:
    http://www.voip.co.uk/res_products.html

    TIA
    Adam

    adam c, Feb 14, 2006
  13. Sidknee

    Brian A Guest

    On 14 Feb 2006 03:42:20 -0800, wrote:

    >Can an ordinary Voip ATA be used with voip.co.uk? I've checked their
    >website out and it's a little confusing (only for me, I'm sure).

    Yes. Use any ATA.

    >They make reference to two "Freedom" accounts - one that includes
    >hardware and the other a "Optional Freedom pack MTA" - what does this
    >refer to?

    1. The 'Basic' is a PAYG pay per minute account. You have to purchase
    £10 of credit.
    2. Optional UK pack: Use your own ATA.
    3. Optional Freedom pack MTA: Same as (2) but they provide the
    hardware.

    Hence, if you want to set up your own ATA you can or you can have one
    provided.

    I use (2) and I find that it costs me about the same as I used to
    spend using 1899 via BT.

    With reference to some of the foregoing posts... It has always been my
    view that spending money on capital items is fine providing a saving
    can be realised, as a result, within a reasonable time. Indeed, this
    is something I aim to do whenever possible. Ongoing costs are
    something I try to avoid.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Feb 14, 2006
  14. Sidknee

    Guest

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:52:02 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >With reference to some of the foregoing posts... It has always been my
    >view that spending money on capital items is fine providing a saving
    >can be realised, as a result, within a reasonable time.

    But supposing someone who is easily put off had spent eighty pounds
    on a Sipura 2000 and had signed up to Sipgate and got the service I
    got from them and said stuff voip I will stick with BT, they would be
    eighty quid down the drain .

    , Feb 14, 2006
  15. Sidknee

    Niko Patera Guest

    why is it a pain? I'll use this service for outgoing calls.

    Niko Patera, Feb 14, 2006
  16. Sidknee

    adam c Guest

    Brian A wrote:
    > On 14 Feb 2006 03:42:20 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >> Can an ordinary Voip ATA be used with voip.co.uk? I've checked their
    >> website out and it's a little confusing (only for me, I'm sure).

    > Yes. Use any ATA.
    >> They make reference to two "Freedom" accounts - one that includes
    >> hardware and the other a "Optional Freedom pack MTA" - what does this
    >> refer to?

    > 1. The 'Basic' is a PAYG pay per minute account. You have to purchase
    > £10 of credit.
    > 2. Optional UK pack: Use your own ATA.
    > 3. Optional Freedom pack MTA: Same as (2) but they provide the
    > hardware.
    >
    > Hence, if you want to set up your own ATA you can or you can have one
    > provided.
    >
    > I use (2) and I find that it costs me about the same as I used to
    > spend using 1899 via BT.

    And does anyone know (before Voip.co.uk reply to my email) whether their
    ATA is 'locked'?

    TIA
    Adam

    adam c, Feb 14, 2006
  17. Sidknee

    PL Guest

    adam c wrote:

    > And does anyone know (before Voip.co.uk reply to my email) whether their
    > ATA is 'locked'?

    I've got one of their MTA's. I can access the web page configuration /
    setup. Does that alone mean it's unlocked?

    PL, Feb 14, 2006
  18. Sidknee

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "PL" <> wrote in message
    > adam c wrote:
    >
    > > And does anyone know (before Voip.co.uk reply to my
    > > email) whether their ATA is 'locked'?
    > >

    > I've got one of their MTA's. I can access the web page
    > configuration / setup. Does that alone mean it's
    > unlocked?

    Only if it will let you put in details of another provider and use it..!
    Try it and see.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 14, 2006
  19. Sidknee

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Telephoneman wrote:
    > Amazingly,
    > some people prefer not to do business with Companies that we think are
    > "loosing serious money" (sic) on the grounds that it's a pain when they go
    > bust.

    And some people have no problem - see the number of people using the
    Finarea SA offerings.

    Paul Cupis, Feb 14, 2006
  20. Sidknee

    Nick Ward Guest

    Paul Cupis wrote:
    > Telephoneman wrote:
    > > Amazingly,
    > > some people prefer not to do business with Companies that we think are
    > > "loosing serious money" (sic) on the grounds that it's a pain when theygo
    > > bust.

    > And some people have no problem - see the number of people using the
    > Finarea SA offerings.

    Nor indeed the 5 million odd who signed up with the Cable TV companies.
    As the saying goes, "if you owe the bank £1,000, you're in trouble,
    but if you owe them £10,000,000 then they are".

    Nick Ward, Feb 14, 2006