    for some answers but would like some up to date answers since tech. is
    improving daily...thanks
    LAURA

    LAURA, Nov 11, 2005

  2. LAURA

    Martin² Guest

    Vonage will charge you rental and sell you kit that is locked to their
    service.
    You may be better off with other providers who don't charge rental and allow
    you to pre pay or pay as you go. But you will have buy your own equipment,
    if you have router then all you need is Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA) and
    any old phone. Alternatively you could get a router with VoIP port(s) (built
    in ATA).

    >can i dump the local and long distance and still keep the dsl.

    Probably not, but unless you say where you are and who is your telco....,
    nobody can help you.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Nov 12, 2005

  3. LAURA

    Guest

    I would think you'd need to keep at least a bare local landline to
    keep the DSL but like Martin² said it would probabaly depend on your
    provider. To save costs I dumped my long distance, kept my local line
    for a failsafe (you have to consider 911 emergencies) and went with
    SunRocket voip( www.sunrocket.com) to use for long distance. I chose
    them because there was no equipment fee and no contract + free phones.

    There are many other voip providers, a couple of good places to find
    info are http://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip and to compare services
    and costs use http://voxilla.com/compare/compare.php?typeid=1
    &mode=type

    veni, vidi, velcro (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

    Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Final
    * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
    * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

    , Nov 12, 2005
  4. LAURA

    LAURA Guest

    I am in georgia and my dsl is with bell south....mcdonough
    ,georgia.....
    thanks for the answer

    LAURA, Nov 12, 2005
  5. LAURA

    Guest

    I just did a similar thing using a new VoIP service called Igonet. I
    canceled my local and long distance service on my primary telephone
    line. I actually canceled the DSL and went with cable due to some long
    term decent pricing they have in my area. I've outlined the whole path
    I took onmy web site if you want to learn more.

    www.ultra-voip-solutions.com

    , Nov 15, 2005
  6. LAURA

    Wes Groleau Guest

    LAURA wrote:
    > company along with my local and long distance ...can i dump the local
    > and long distance and still keep the dsl...or does any one have any

    Yes, but you'll probably have to fight for it.
    If you tell them you don't want their phone service,
    but you want DSL so you can use VoIP, then for them
    to say No would sound a lot like an illegal attempt
    to suppress competition.

    Verizon told me over and over that it was impossible,
    but finally one guy admitted that IF I wanted to use
    a VoIP provider, then I could keep my DSL at a higher price.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns
    it, and finds himself no wiser than before ... He is full of
    murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having
    come by their ignorance the hard way.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

    Wes Groleau, Nov 24, 2005
  7. LAURA

    wkearney99 Guest

    > Verizon told me over and over that it was impossible,
    > but finally one guy admitted that IF I wanted to use
    > a VoIP provider, then I could keep my DSL at a higher price.

    What you end up getting is a bare DSL line without shared voice services.
    Plenty of ISPs offer this. All of them, generally, end up charging more for
    this service than just piggy-backing along on an existing POTS line. I'm
    sure it has everything to do with how the ILEC offers them the lines.
    There's a ton of regulations associated with how the owner of the wire (the
    local telco) is required to offer the ability for another company to make
    use of it.

    wkearney99, Nov 24, 2005