    Thanks,
    Ken
    , Dec 8, 2005

  2. Vox Humana Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > A little advice needed:
    >
    > For a new office I am helping to setup, we are installing a 384k T1
    > line, and are planning on using vonage over that T1 line for our phone
    > service. We plan to have at least 2 and maybe 3 phone lines through
    > vonage. We are looking into cordless multi-line phones. We figure
    > we'll need 1 base station and 4-8 handsets. Vonage offers a call-hunt
    > feature that will ring the second or third line if the first line is
    > busy. Will this multi-line service from vonage work with 1 mutli-line
    > base station?

    What hardware are you using?
    Vox Humana, Dec 8, 2005

  3. Guest

    Assuming you mean phone hardware, we haven't decided on anything yet
    but are looking into phones such as the Uniden TRU8866 and Panasonic
    KXTG6500B
    , Dec 8, 2005
  4. Vox Humana Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Assuming you mean phone hardware, we haven't decided on anything yet
    > but are looking into phones such as the Uniden TRU8866 and Panasonic
    > KXTG6500B

    No, I meant are you going to use a particular ATA or are you going to use a
    pc-based system like Asterisk.
    Vox Humana, Dec 8, 2005
  5. Guest

    It's going to be an adapter, whatever vonage is offering that's
    cheapest (or $0). A reconditioned Motorola VT1005RB, for example,
    which has jacks for two phone lines. I suppose if we have 3 vonage
    lines we'll need an ATA with at least 3 jacks.
    , Dec 8, 2005
  6. Vox Humana Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > A little advice needed:
    >
    > For a new office I am helping to setup, we are installing a 384k T1
    > line, and are planning on using vonage over that T1 line for our phone
    > service. We plan to have at least 2 and maybe 3 phone lines through
    > vonage. We are looking into cordless multi-line phones. We figure
    > we'll need 1 base station and 4-8 handsets. Vonage offers a call-hunt
    > feature that will ring the second or third line if the first line is
    > busy. Will this multi-line service from vonage work with 1 mutli-line
    > base station?

    Maybe you should look at another service. Teliax has a business package
    that allows four concurrent instances per each business DID. You could use
    Asterisk or cheap IP phones.
    https://www.teliax.com/newaccount/?r=1&cp=default
    Vox Humana, Dec 8, 2005
  7. Guest

    Okay, but why? What is wrong with what I propose?
    , Dec 8, 2005
  8. Vox Humana Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Okay, but why? What is wrong with what I propose?

    I think you would have better performance, better support, and lower costs
    with a provider like Teliax. The hard-wired IP phone will have more
    features for the price. Take a look at this one which costs about the same
    as the two line cordless models you are looking at:
    http://www.telephonyware.com/telephonyware/tw00241.html

    What is Vonage charging for four DIDs and their "hunt" scheme? From what I
    have read from Vonage customers, I wouldn't want to trust my business phone
    needs to them.
    Vox Humana, Dec 8, 2005
  9. >For a new office I am helping to setup, we are installing a 384k T1
    >line, and are planning on using vonage over that T1 line for our phone
    >service. We plan to have at least 2 and maybe 3 phone lines through
    >vonage. We are looking into cordless multi-line phones. We figure
    >we'll need 1 base station and 4-8 handsets. Vonage offers a call-hunt
    >feature that will ring the second or third line if the first line is
    >busy. Will this multi-line service from vonage work with 1 mutli-line
    >base station?

    Probably, since the signal from the Vonage TA looks like any other POTS
    phone line. Each phone conversation takes about 90k so you aren't
    going to have much room for anything else if you have three phone
    conversations going on.

    But I second the suggestion that you look at other VoIP services,
    Vonage is expensive and (in my experience at least) offers dreadful
    service. There are other VoIP providers which will connect to an
    Asterisk PBX or other equipment and charge less for more features.
    John R. Levine, Dec 8, 2005
  10. "Vox Humana" <> writes:
    > What is Vonage charging for four DIDs and their "hunt" scheme? From what I
    > have read from Vonage customers, I wouldn't want to trust my business phone
    > needs to them.

    On the asterisk list the wisdom was that one shouldn't trust an
    external voip supplier for the DID's when in a business setting. It
    is easy enough for a voip gateway to figure out how to roll-over a
    failed outgoing call to a backup provider. That direction is easy.
    On the incoming side there isn't a good solution. If customers are
    calling a DID that is held by an external provider and that provider
    is having a bad day, you'll lose the call.

    The recommendation was to get a PRI/T1 from the phone company and
    gateway into voip yourself (via asterisk, Cisco or similar gear).
    Unfortunately the phone company still prices PRI's like they are a
    monopoly. It will probably be a while before they are in the price
    range of home users.

    -wolfgang
    Direct SIP URL Dialing: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html
    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Dec 8, 2005
  11. Marc Popek Guest

    voip & Pstn telco phone auto siwtch.. why not join the two in a simple handset???Re: Vonage + multi-line cordless phone?

    There is a low cost, super low noise device called Combine-a-line, that is
    perfect for your application!

    Marco

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5841298655&rd=1&sspagenam
    e=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

    Marc Popek, Dec 14, 2005
  12. Ivor Jones Guest

    Re: voip & Pstn telco phone auto siwtch.. why not join the two in a simple handset???Re: Vonage + multi-line cordless phone?

    "Marc Popek" <> wrote in message
    > There is a low cost, super low noise device called
    > Combine-a-line, that is perfect for your application!
    >
    > Marco

    Haven't they pulled your account yet, spammer..?

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 14, 2005
  13. Marc Popek Guest

    Marc Popek, Dec 20, 2005