    Verizon has now asked for an injunction that would stop Vonage from
    connecting its customers to landline telephones."

    Looks like that could be us screwed up then! :(

    ^^artnada^^, Mar 9, 2007

  2. ^^artnada^^

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "^^artnada^^" <> wrote in message
    news:ddeIh.1389$
    > "Internet phone company Vonage has lost a patent case
    > that could threaten phone services for its 2.2 million
    > customers. A US jury ordered Vonage to pay $58m ($30m) to rival
    > Verizon for infringing three patents, plus royalties of
    > 5.5% of future sales. Verizon has now asked for an injunction that would
    > stop
    > Vonage from connecting its customers to landline
    > telephones."
    >
    > Looks like that could be us screwed up then! :(

    Only if you were daft enough to sign up to Vonage in the first place.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 9, 2007

  3. ^^artnada^^

    ^^artnada^^ Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "^^artnada^^" <> wrote in message
    >> "Internet phone company Vonage has lost a patent case
    >> that could threaten phone services for its 2.2 million
    >> customers. A US jury ordered Vonage to pay $58m ($30m) to rival
    >> Verizon for infringing three patents, plus royalties of
    >> 5.5% of future sales. Verizon has now asked for an injunction that would
    >> stop
    >> Vonage from connecting its customers to landline
    >> telephones."
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6433525.stm
    >>
    >> Looks like that could be us screwed up then! :(

    > Only if you were daft enough to sign up to Vonage in the first place.
    >
    > Ivor

    Nothing daft about signing up to Vonage. As a telco they have served me
    well. Had I known about this possible outcome then maybe I would not have
    signed up to them.

    I await to see what may happen to them in the future.

    ^^artnada^^, Mar 9, 2007
  4. ^^artnada^^

    Guest

    On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 15:41:07 GMT, "^^artnada^^"
    <> wrote:

    >Nothing daft about signing up to Vonage.

    Agreed .

    > As a telco they have served me
    >well. Had I known about this possible outcome then maybe I would not have
    >signed up to them.

    Oh I would not say that all these companies are always doing their
    best to have a go at each other in some way ,storm in a teacup and it
    will all be sorted next week at this time .
    >I await to see what may happen to them in the future.

    Not a lot Vonage will still provide excellent service here in the UK.

    , Mar 9, 2007
  5. ^^artnada^^

    Ivor sucks Guest

    Ivor sucks, Mar 9, 2007
  6. ^^artnada^^

    RH Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> Looks like that could be us screwed up then! :(

    > Only if you were daft enough to sign up to Vonage in the first place.
    >
    > Ivor

    What does Vonage do that is so special, that Voipfone, VOIP and even SIPGATE
    does not do? If Vonage has been hit with this , then maybe other SIP VOIP
    providers are next.

    I am sure if any organisation believed they hold the patent for residential
    VOIP to PSTN termination, they would be nuts not to go and cash in on the
    patent and take every VOIP provider to task over it.

    In this case where a telco owns the patent, they have even more incentive to
    try and cash in

    RH, Mar 9, 2007
  7. ^^artnada^^

    Jono Guest

    ^^artnada^^ used his keyboard to write :
    > "Internet phone company Vonage has lost a patent case that could threaten
    > phone services for its 2.2 million customers.
    > A US jury ordered Vonage to pay $58m ($30m) to rival Verizon for infringing
    > three patents, plus royalties of 5.5% of future sales.
    > Verizon has now asked for an injunction that would stop Vonage from
    > connecting its customers to landline telephones."

    > Looks like that could be us screwed up then! :(

    "Vonage had "done very well with our patents and our technology for a
    number of years""

    "The $58m payout was about as high as Vonage's quarterly losses"

    How does losing $58m a quarter equate to "done very well"?

    Jono, Mar 9, 2007
  8. ^^artnada^^

    Herman Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > "^^artnada^^" <> wrote in message
    >> "Internet phone company Vonage has lost a patent case
    >> that could threaten phone services for its 2.2 million
    >> customers. A US jury ordered Vonage to pay $58m ($30m) to rival
    >> Verizon for infringing three patents, plus royalties of
    >> 5.5% of future sales. Verizon has now asked for an injunction that would
    >> stop
    >> Vonage from connecting its customers to landline
    >> telephones."
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6433525.stm
    >>
    >> Looks like that could be us screwed up then! :(

    > Only if you were daft enough to sign up to Vonage in the first place.
    >
    > Ivor

    I think we have had enough of these punch and judy arguments...

    Herman, Mar 9, 2007
  9. ^^artnada^^

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 18:43:06 -0000, "RH" <>
    wrote:

    >"Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >>> Looks like that could be us screwed up then! :(

    >> Only if you were daft enough to sign up to Vonage in the first place.
    >>
    >> Ivor

    >What does Vonage do that is so special, that Voipfone, VOIP and even SIPGATE
    >does not do? If Vonage has been hit with this , then maybe other SIP VOIP
    >providers are next.

    Exactly my thoughts. What are these patents that have been infringed?
    Vonage is only a SIP voip provider, as you say, and it using the same
    technology as other SIP providers.

    >I am sure if any organisation believed they hold the patent for residential
    >VOIP to PSTN termination, they would be nuts not to go and cash in on the
    >patent and take every VOIP provider to task over it.

    Yes but it would put up the cost for everyone, probably put some
    providers out of business, a would stifle the competition betwen
    landline and voip providers - that is probably what is really behind
    this.

    This is like Microsoft and its OTT DRM in Vista - we all know what is
    behind that - Microsoft want to control movie downloads - they quite
    correctly see this as the future - the furture isn't blueray and HDDVD
    it's downloads.

    What Verizon, with mobile interests etc, like Microsoft, are trying
    to do is to achive control and stifle competition.

    If anything like this is likely to affect the many hundreds of other
    voip providers, I'd like to see Governments outside of the U.S. show
    them 2 fingers like the Russians do with allofMP3.com

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Mar 9, 2007
  10. ^^artnada^^

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 18:50:34 GMT, Jono <>
    wrote:

    >^^artnada^^ used his keyboard to write :
    >> "Internet phone company Vonage has lost a patent case that could threaten
    >> phone services for its 2.2 million customers.
    >> A US jury ordered Vonage to pay $58m ($30m) to rival Verizon for infringing
    >> three patents, plus royalties of 5.5% of future sales.
    >> Verizon has now asked for an injunction that would stop Vonage from
    >> connecting its customers to landline telephones."
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6433525.stm
    >>
    >> Looks like that could be us screwed up then! :(

    >"Vonage had "done very well with our patents and our technology for a
    >number of years""
    >
    >"The $58m payout was about as high as Vonage's quarterly losses"
    >
    >How does losing $58m a quarter equate to "done very well"?

    Here's more from the Register:-
    http://tinyurl.com/2ue9zf
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Mar 9, 2007
  11. ^^artnada^^

    J Clavox Guest

    On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 18:15:56 +0000, Ivor sucks < Þ @ Þ > wrote:

    >On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 14:31:37 GMT, ^^artnada^^ wrote:
    >
    >>Looks like that could be us screwed up then! :(

    >Not necessarily. All it is is a cue to bring Ivor out of the woodwork
    >to spurt out his ill-informed anti-Vonage propaganda.

    On the other hand it could bring me out with my very much informed
    anti SIPGATE propaganda I suffered loss of telephone service for three
    whole days thanks to RUBBISHGATE .

    J Clavox, Mar 9, 2007
  12. ^^artnada^^

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "RH" <> wrote in message
    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > > > Looks like that could be us screwed up then! :(

    > > Only if you were daft enough to sign up to Vonage in
    > > the first place. Ivor

    > What does Vonage do that is so special, that Voipfone,
    > VOIP and even SIPGATE does not do? If Vonage has been hit
    > with this , then maybe other SIP VOIP providers are next.

    My dislike of Vonage is twofold - one, their monthly charge is IMHO
    excessive and two they have a nasty habit of locking their ATA's.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 10, 2007
  13. ^^artnada^^

    Ivor sucks Guest

    On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 01:56:29 -0000, Ivor Jones wrote:

    >My dislike of Vonage is twofold - one, their monthly charge is IMHO
    >excessive and two they have a nasty habit of locking their ATA's.

    My dislike of Ivor is onefold. He's just an anti-Vonage propaganda
    puppet.

    Ivor sucks, Mar 10, 2007
  14. ^^artnada^^

    Herman Guest

    "Ivor sucks" <"=?x-user-defined?Q? Þ @ Þ ?="> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 01:56:29 -0000, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    >>My dislike of Vonage is twofold - one, their monthly charge is IMHO
    >>excessive and two they have a nasty habit of locking their ATA's.

    > My dislike of Ivor is onefold. He's just an anti-Vonage propaganda
    > puppet.

    Puppet? brings me back to the punch and judy theme. sort it out guys.

    Herman, Mar 10, 2007
  15. ^^artnada^^

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Ivor sucks" <"=?x-user-defined?Q? Þ @ Þ ?="> wrote in
    message news:
    > On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 01:56:29 -0000, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    > > My dislike of Vonage is twofold - one, their monthly
    > > charge is IMHO excessive and two they have a nasty
    > > habit of locking their ATA's.

    > My dislike of Ivor is onefold. He's just an anti-Vonage
    > propaganda puppet.

    At least I don't hide behind a pseudonym.

    Does your father know you've been playing with his computer..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 10, 2007
  16. ^^artnada^^

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Herman" <> wrote in
    message news:qwtIh.56407$
    > "Ivor sucks" <"=?x-user-defined?Q? Þ @ Þ ?="> wrote in
    > message news:...
    > > On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 01:56:29 -0000, Ivor Jones wrote:
    > >
    > > > My dislike of Vonage is twofold - one, their monthly
    > > > charge is IMHO excessive and two they have a nasty
    > > > habit of locking their ATA's.

    > > My dislike of Ivor is onefold. He's just an anti-Vonage
    > > propaganda puppet.

    > Puppet? brings me back to the punch and judy theme. sort it out guys.

    I hope you're not including me in this. I am merely posting my opinion, as
    is my perfectly legal right. I don't recall making any offensive or
    otherwise unacceptable (according to the group charter) remark.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 10, 2007
  17. ^^artnada^^

    Rob Guest

    "J Clavox" <> wrote in message

    > >Not necessarily. All it is is a cue to bring Ivor out of the woodwork
    > >to spurt out his ill-informed anti-Vonage propaganda.

    > On the other hand it could bring me out with my very much informed
    > anti SIPGATE propaganda I suffered loss of telephone service for three
    > whole days thanks to RUBBISHGATE .

    Big deal. That'll teach you to rely on a single service.

    No doubt there are many people who have experienced the same or longer
    service failure from BT or other providers.

    What a saddo you are.

    Rob

    Rob, Mar 10, 2007
  18. ^^artnada^^

    Herman Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > "Herman" <> wrote in
    > message news:qwtIh.56407$
    >> "Ivor sucks" <"=?x-user-defined?Q? Þ @ Þ ?="> wrote in
    >> message news:...

    >> > My dislike of Ivor is onefold. He's just an anti-Vonage
    >> > propaganda puppet.

    >> Puppet? brings me back to the punch and judy theme. sort it out guys.

    > I hope you're not including me in this. I am merely posting my opinion, as
    > is my perfectly legal right. I don't recall making any offensive or
    > otherwise unacceptable (according to the group charter) remark.
    >
    > Ivor

    Yes I am including both of you in this.

    Punch and Judy is not illegal or (generally) offensive or unacceptable. You
    have missed or ignored my point. As an adult I wouldn't voluntarily sit
    through a Punch and Judy show and I would like to think many others here
    wouldn't which is why I used that analogy. And then a second performance?
    And a third??? ......

    Both of you make really useful contributions to the group. But I am just
    asking for less of the Punch and Judy (or pantomime or whatever other
    analogy comes to mind). It is a real turn-off.

    Herman, Mar 10, 2007
  19. ^^artnada^^

    J Clavox Guest

    On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 09:43:34 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"Herman" <> wrote in
    >message news:qwtIh.56407$
    >> "Ivor sucks" <"=?x-user-defined?Q? Þ @ Þ ?="> wrote in
    >> message news:...

    >> > My dislike of Ivor is onefold. He's just an anti-Vonage
    >> > propaganda puppet.

    >> Puppet? brings me back to the punch and judy theme. sort it out guys.

    >I hope you're not including me in this. I am merely posting my opinion, as
    >is my perfectly legal right. I don't recall making any offensive or
    >otherwise unacceptable (according to the group charter) remark.
    >
    >Ivor

    I just wish you would stop ramming the "group charter" down peoples
    throats every time you read something you do not like stuff the group
    charter .

    J Clavox, Mar 10, 2007
  20. ^^artnada^^

    J Clavox Guest

    On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 10:44:53 -0000, "Rob" <>
    wrote:

    >Big deal. That'll teach you to rely on a single service.

    NEVER had any problems with other services especially BT Teleworst yes
    and like with Shitgate they where got rid of QUICK .
    NOW FOAD .

    J Clavox, Mar 10, 2007