    Then again they're not much good when you have to pay double for mobile
    calls so in conclusion stuff VOIP :)

    Stephen

    ¬Stephen Hammond, Nov 6, 2006

  2. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:01:18 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
    <> wrote:

    >Unlimited calls and proper call number display for the recipient (CLI?),
    >does anyone else offer this?
    >
    >700 mins a month isn't that much if you ask me :)
    >(23mins a day)
    >

    >Correct me if I'm wrong
    >
    >Then again they're not much good when you have to pay double for mobile
    >calls so in conclusion stuff VOIP :)
    >
    >Stephen

    First question is 'Do you really NEED unlimited calls?'
    So many people get into this unlimited thing without first assessing
    their actual needs.
    voip.co.uk costs £2/month for inclusive off peak calls and 2p/call for
    peak. If Vonage is charging £8/month that's £6 more and amounts to 300
    peak time calls - that's approximately 300/22~= 14 peak time calls a
    day (22 days because weekends are taken care of), thats in addition
    to all the off peak calls. Do you really need that many calls?
    Further, when you go away on your hols you are still paying Vonage
    £8/month - add that to the monthly cost and the deal is even worse.
    Caller display on voip.co.uk should be OK.
    You do get a geo number with voip.co.uk also.

    The only downside is that the voicemail could be better and they don't
    do a 1471 service afaik (then I don't know if Vonage do this).

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Nov 6, 2006

  3. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Polly Guest

    On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 10:55:11 GMT, Brian A postulated:

    >First question is 'Do you really NEED unlimited calls?'
    >So many people get into this unlimited thing without first assessing
    >their actual needs.
    >voip.co.uk costs £2/month for inclusive off peak calls and 2p/call for
    >peak. If Vonage is charging £8/month that's £6 more and amounts to 300
    >peak time calls - that's approximately 300/22~= 14 peak time calls a
    >day (22 days because weekends are taken care of), thats in addition
    >to all the off peak calls. Do you really need that many calls?

    Actually, yes. Although I don't need to have that number of telephone
    conversations per day, the problem is that increasingly the general
    public are using 1571 (or similar) voicemail systems. What I hate
    about these is that the recorded greeting is not personal so I have no
    idea as to whose home I am connected to. As I will not risk leaving a
    voicemail to a stranger, I always hang up. Consequently I can easily
    top 14 peak calls a day simply by grappling with the 1571 droids.

    >Further, when you go away on your hols you are still paying Vonage
    >£8/month - add that to the monthly cost and the deal is even worse.

    Add £8 to what monthly cost?

    >The only downside is that the voicemail could be better and they don't
    >do a 1471 service afaik (then I don't know if Vonage do this).

    Vonage do, but, irritatingly, it's a code other than 1471 - presumably
    the Yank version.

    Polly, Nov 6, 2006
  4. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Guest

    On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 12:21:06 +0000, Polly <> wrote:

    >Add £8 to what monthly cost?

    It isn't added to anything Polly Brian is another Vonage hater by the
    sounds of things and just has Ivor is obsessed with Sipgate Brian is
    nearly just the same regarding voip.co.uk .
    I have no real complaints regarding voip.co.uk but I would sooner just
    pay Vonage the eight quid and know that I can pick up the phone at
    anytime of the night or day and make a call for " free" sort of .

    , Nov 6, 2006

  5. >
    >>Add £8 to what monthly cost?

    > It isn't added to anything Polly Brian is another Vonage hater by the
    > sounds of things and just has Ivor is obsessed with Sipgate Brian is
    > nearly just the same regarding voip.co.uk .
    > I have no real complaints regarding voip.co.uk but I would sooner just
    > pay Vonage the eight quid and know that I can pick up the phone at
    > anytime of the night or day and make a call for " free" sort of .

    Looks good I'm going to go for voip.co.uk ;)
    no way do I make 10 calls during the day every day :)

    ¬Stephen Hammond, Nov 6, 2006
  6. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Ian Pawson Guest

    Brian A wrote:
    > On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:01:18 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Unlimited calls and proper call number display for the recipient (CLI?),
    >> does anyone else offer this?
    >>
    >> 700 mins a month isn't that much if you ask me :)
    >> (23mins a day)
    >>

    >> Correct me if I'm wrong
    >>
    >> Then again they're not much good when you have to pay double for mobile
    >> calls so in conclusion stuff VOIP :)
    >>
    >> Stephen
    >>

    > First question is 'Do you really NEED unlimited calls?'
    > So many people get into this unlimited thing without first assessing
    > their actual needs.
    > voip.co.uk costs £2/month for inclusive off peak calls and 2p/call for
    > peak. If Vonage is charging £8/month that's £6 more and amounts to 300
    > peak time calls - that's approximately 300/22~= 14 peak time calls a
    > day (22 days because weekends are taken care of), thats in addition
    > to all the off peak calls. Do you really need that many calls?
    > Further, when you go away on your hols you are still paying Vonage
    > £8/month - add that to the monthly cost and the deal is even worse.
    > Caller display on voip.co.uk should be OK.
    > You do get a geo number with voip.co.uk also.
    >
    > The only downside is that the voicemail could be better and they don't
    > do a 1471 service afaik (then I don't know if Vonage do this).
    >

    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    It's only £19.99 if you pay for 12 months in advance. This service
    suites my needs and has worked when I need it to. Also, the email help
    and support is swift and helpful.

    Ian Pawson, Nov 6, 2006
  7. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 12:41:31 GMT, wrote:

    >On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 12:21:06 +0000, Polly <> wrote:
    >

    >>Add £8 to what monthly cost?

    What I meant by this is if you go on holiday and are not making use of
    your £8/month then it is wasted. If you spend a month away from home,
    for example, then that wasted £8 is spread over the other 11months of
    use therby costing £8.72/month you are in residence.
    I think that Vonage is fine if you really are going to make full use
    of it. If not then there are cheaper options.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Nov 6, 2006
  8. ¬Stephen Hammond

    alexd Guest

    Brian A wrote:

    > Further, when you go away on your hols you are still paying Vonage
    > £8/month - add that to the monthly cost and the deal is even worse.

    Call yourself a geek? If you go on holiday, the first thing you pack should
    be your ATA ;-) Something else - Vonage adaptors are locked to Vonage, and
    you can't use any kit you like with Vonage unless you pay extra for
    a 'softphone' account.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:03:10 up 13 days, 3:48, 3 users, load average: 3.00, 3.02, 3.04

    alexd, Nov 6, 2006
  9. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 15:11:38 GMT, Ian Pawson <> wrote:

    >Brian A wrote:
    >> On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:01:18 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Unlimited calls and proper call number display for the recipient (CLI?),
    >>> does anyone else offer this?
    >>>
    >>> 700 mins a month isn't that much if you ask me :)
    >>> (23mins a day)
    >>>

    >>> Correct me if I'm wrong
    >>>
    >>> Then again they're not much good when you have to pay double for mobile
    >>> calls so in conclusion stuff VOIP :)
    >>>
    >>> Stephen
    >>>

    >> First question is 'Do you really NEED unlimited calls?'
    >> So many people get into this unlimited thing without first assessing
    >> their actual needs.
    >> voip.co.uk costs £2/month for inclusive off peak calls and 2p/call for
    >> peak. If Vonage is charging £8/month that's £6 more and amounts to 300
    >> peak time calls - that's approximately 300/22~= 14 peak time calls a
    >> day (22 days because weekends are taken care of), thats in addition
    >> to all the off peak calls. Do you really need that many calls?
    >> Further, when you go away on your hols you are still paying Vonage
    >> £8/month - add that to the monthly cost and the deal is even worse.
    >> Caller display on voip.co.uk should be OK.
    >> You do get a geo number with voip.co.uk also.
    >>
    >> The only downside is that the voicemail could be better and they don't
    >> do a 1471 service afaik (then I don't know if Vonage do this).
    >>

    >> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    >It's only £19.99 if you pay for 12 months in advance. This service
    >suites my needs and has worked when I need it to. Also, the email help
    >and support is swift and helpful.

    In addition, there is another VSP ( Vyke ) offering calls to Europe
    and the US at 2p/call. I only recently saw a posting here but, afaik,
    no one has actually stated that they use them. You have to be quite
    careful to get the right merchant URL otherwise the pricing is in US
    cents.
    http://tinyurl.com/ylu8os

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Nov 6, 2006
  10. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Guest

    On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 20:08:04 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >What I meant by this is if you go on holiday and are not making use of
    >your £8/month then it is wasted.

    Just like a persons eleven quid a month to BT is .

    >I think that Vonage is fine if you really are going to make full use
    >of it. If not then there are cheaper options.

    I don't make full use of it and neither do I make full use of my TV
    licence nowhere near , if I can "waste" over a hundred a year on a TV
    licence eight a month to Vonage isn't going to brake the bank and I
    get more use out of Vonage than I do out of the TV licence . It is a
    great pity we can't just buy so many hours worth of viewing time re
    the TV licence 40-50 hours a year would do me .

    , Nov 6, 2006
  11. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Guest

    On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 20:09:52 GMT, alexd <> wrote:

    >be your ATA ;-) Something else - Vonage adaptors are locked to Vonage, and
    >you can't use any kit you like with Vonage

    But you do not have to buy the damn things they will take them back
    if/when you finish with the service or they are yours to keep for free
    after 12 months .

    , Nov 6, 2006
  12. ¬Stephen Hammond

    alexd Guest

    ¬Stephen Hammond wrote:

    > Unlimited calls and proper call number display for the recipient (CLI?),
    > does anyone else offer this?

    Yes

    > 700 mins a month isn't that much if you ask me :)
    > (23mins a day)

    Do yourself a favour - open up an Excel sheet and work out the costs. Look
    at pre-pay providers [like Sipgate], post-pay [Gradwell], part-inclusive
    [voip.co.uk] and all-inclusive providers [Vonage]. Look at where your calls
    are going [01/02/07/08/09/00], how long they are and when you make them.

    For example:

    - If you're always making calls to/from 0049, maybe you would be better off
    signing up with a VoIP provider in Germany

    - Vonage looks promising because you're always making loads of peak time
    geographic calls, but digging a little deeper you realise that most of them
    are to the same place that could easily be converted to VoIP, and would be
    free on-net with another VoIP provider

    - Most of your calls are to mobiles, so buying a mobile would be more
    cost-effective

    If you buy the right kit, you can sign up with several providers and program
    it to take the cheapest route. There's a lot of competition out there in
    VoIP-land for your money, so you're bound to find something that satisfies.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:09:58 up 13 days, 3:55, 3 users, load average: 3.03, 3.03, 3.03

    alexd, Nov 6, 2006
  13. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Polly Guest

    On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 20:08:04 GMT, Brian A postulated:

    >What I meant by this is if you go on holiday and are not making use of
    >your £8/month then it is wasted. If you spend a month away from home,
    >for example, then that wasted £8 is spread over the other 11months of
    >use therby costing £8.72/month you are in residence.
    >I think that Vonage is fine if you really are going to make full use
    >of it. If not then there are cheaper options.

    "cheapest" isn't always "best". You seem to be confusing "the
    cheapest" with "the most appropriate service to suit the user". I have
    no doubt that if I had nothing better to do with my life than compare
    every VoIP offering with my every call that I make, I could save a
    little money off my phone cost. However, I lead a life outside of this
    newsgroup and what I want is a supplier who is reliable, easy to set
    up and offers me good service at a reasonable price.

    Vonage is by no means perfect, but I can pick up the phone at any time
    day or night and make whatever calls I want to 01... and 02... knowing
    there's no additional cost to the monthly subscription. I don't have
    to refer to my spreadsheet to see if I have reached the magic "14 peak
    calls a day" before dialling. I do not have to spend all day
    evaluating all the alternative plans on offer and I do not have to
    jump through mathematical loops to get the optimal result, nor do I
    have to spend hours grappling with user-unfriendly ATA setup
    procedures.

    It's horses for courses as my old teacher used to say.

    Polly, Nov 6, 2006
  14. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Scope Guest

    Polly wrote:
    > On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 20:08:04 GMT, Brian A postulated:
    > "cheapest" isn't always "best".

    Fair comment.. But some times it is. ;-) voip.co.uk and its £1.99
    (£19.99 if buying 12 months) package offers a great service (day or
    night when I pick up the phone), free phone calls and just as important;
    great support.

    But hey, we cant all buy the same service.. If Vonage works for you,
    great.. You'll be saving a fair deal compared to BT/NTL anyway.

    Scope, Nov 6, 2006
  15. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 23:18:58 +0000, Scope <> wrote:

    >Polly wrote:
    >> On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 20:08:04 GMT, Brian A postulated:
    >> "cheapest" isn't always "best".

    Don't think it was me ...it was a quote from Dex

    >Fair comment.. But some times it is. ;-) voip.co.uk and its £1.99
    >(£19.99 if buying 12 months) package offers a great service (day or
    >night when I pick up the phone), free phone calls and just as important;
    >great support.
    >
    >But hey, we cant all buy the same service.. If Vonage works for you,
    >great.. You'll be saving a fair deal compared to BT/NTL anyway.

    I think, as Dex has intimated, some people just feel happier paying an
    'all in' price even if it does work out more expensive.
    My next door neighbour was paying £200/year more than me for her water
    bill than me because she didn't have a meter. She wanted a fixed bill.
    She has seen the light now and made a change but I can see that, for
    some people, cost is not so much of a factor as is peace of mind.
    I get my peace of mind nowing that I have got a good service without,
    as I see it, wasting money. Others get their peace of mind by paying
    more.
    There are many people who don't have a clue how much they are paying
    for their phone calls - and they don't care. They just worry about
    other things. Meanwhile BT rub their hands with glee!

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Nov 7, 2006
  16. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Scope Guest

    Brian A wrote:
    > On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 23:18:58 +0000, Scope <> wrote:
    >
    >> Polly wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 20:08:04 GMT, Brian A postulated:
    >>> "cheapest" isn't always "best".

    > Don't think it was me ...it was a quote from Dex

    Sorry mate, I messed up.. It was in fact Polly who said it.

    Scope, Nov 7, 2006
  17. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Herman Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 23:18:58 +0000, Scope <> wrote:

    >>But hey, we cant all buy the same service.. If Vonage works for you,
    >>great.. You'll be saving a fair deal compared to BT/NTL anyway.

    > I think, as Dex has intimated, some people just feel happier paying an
    > 'all in' price even if it does work out more expensive.
    > My next door neighbour was paying £200/year more than me for her water
    > bill than me because she didn't have a meter. She wanted a fixed bill.
    > She has seen the light now and made a change but I can see that, for
    > some people, cost is not so much of a factor as is peace of mind.
    > I get my peace of mind nowing that I have got a good service without,
    > as I see it, wasting money. Others get their peace of mind by paying
    > more.
    > There are many people who don't have a clue how much they are paying
    > for their phone calls - and they don't care. They just worry about
    > other things. Meanwhile BT rub their hands with glee!

    How refreshing to see a bit of "live and let live" on this group. Long may
    it last!

    Herman, Nov 7, 2006
  18. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Guest

    On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 11:05:41 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >There are many people who don't have a clue how much they are paying
    >for their phone calls - and they don't care. They just worry about
    >other things. Meanwhile BT rub their hands with glee!

    BT is a definite a no no with me Brian and I had quite enough of
    scouring the internet to find the cheapest provider of VOIP calls
    and none that I had seen where acceptable to me. So I joined Vonage
    around 18 months ago left 12 months ago and signed up with Freetalk
    because they where slightly cheaper and offered the same basic service
    not Freetalk have gone I am back with Vonage once again.
    How Ivor can state Vonage charges are EXTORSIONATE, even if no calls
    are made they are still much cheaper than BT and just as reliable and
    hassle free unlike one certain provider that I had the misfortune to
    encounter .

    , Nov 7, 2006
  19. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > How Ivor can state Vonage charges are EXTORSIONATE,

    I didn't, I said they are extortionate.

    > even
    > if no calls are made they are still much cheaper than BT
    > and just as reliable and hassle free unlike one certain
    > provider that I had the misfortune to encounter .

    I have relatively little hassle. As I spend probably about three or four
    quid a year on chargeable calls why should I pay more..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 7, 2006
  20. ¬Stephen Hammond

    <> wrote:

    >Unlimited calls and proper call number display for the recipient (CLI?),
    >does anyone else offer this?
    >
    >700 mins a month isn't that much if you ask me :)
    >(23mins a day)
    >

    >Correct me if I'm wrong

    As others have suggested, voip.co.uk is probably the best bet. For
    £1.67 per month you get free calls off-peak and at weekends, so you
    pay 2p per weekday call. To reach Vonage's charges you would have to
    make an average of fifteen peak time calls every day. I don't believe
    that many residential uses do.

    In addition, with the notable exception of voicemail, voip.co.uk offer
    far better facilities than Vonage do.

    >Then again they're not much good when you have to pay double for mobile
    >calls so in conclusion stuff VOIP :)

    The mobile companies charge about 10p per minute to deliver their
    calls, so you're not going to find a cheaper rate anywhere, unless
    it's a mistake or a loss leader.

    , Nov 8, 2006