    locked-in..

    Thanks,

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Feb 16, 2009

  2. Gordon Henderson

    alexd Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:

    > Anyone know if you can use Vonage in the UK with something other than
    > the supplied ATA they give you?

    IIRC you need a 'softphone account' or 'business plus' to use it with
    anything other than their ATA.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    19:58:54 up 73 days, 22:10, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.07, 0.06
    alexd, Feb 16, 2009

  3. In article <>, alexd <> wrote:
    >Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone know if you can use Vonage in the UK with something other than
    >> the supplied ATA they give you?

    >IIRC you need a 'softphone account' or 'business plus' to use it with
    >anything other than their ATA.

    Thanks. I found some stuff on their US website, wasn't sure if it applied
    to their UK service.

    It's bonkers - why would they use SIP then lock you into their own kit.
    (although from a support point of view, I can see why)

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Feb 16, 2009
  4. Gordon Henderson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:gnco6e$i2u$,
    Gordon Henderson <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    : In article <>, alexd
    : <> wrote:
    : >
    :
    : Thanks. I found some stuff on their US website, wasn't sure if it
    : applied
    : to their UK service.
    :
    : It's bonkers - why would they use SIP then lock you into their own
    : kit. (although from a support point of view, I can see why)

    Just one of the reasons why Vonage doesn't have the best of reputations in
    this group.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Feb 17, 2009
  5. Gordon Henderson

    alexd Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:

    > Thanks. I found some stuff on their US website, wasn't sure if it applied
    > to their UK service.

    http://www.vonage.co.uk/free-features/index.php?feature=softphone

    It shows Xlite; not sure if it works with anything else, perhaps they've got
    their own hobbled version of Xlite? In any case, it's more expensive than
    Sipgate, so there's not really any point.

    > It's bonkers - why would they use SIP then lock you into their own kit.

    Because it's supposedly unlimited, so they don't want people setting up,
    say, Asterisk gateways and taking the piss by selling their minutes on at a
    profit. People already do this with great big rack-mounted Premicell-type
    things so I wouldn't be surprised if it was already going on.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    19:43:12 up 74 days, 21:55, 2 users, load average: 0.10, 0.07, 0.07
    alexd, Feb 17, 2009
  6. In article <>, alexd <> wrote:
    >Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks. I found some stuff on their US website, wasn't sure if it applied
    >> to their UK service.

    >http://www.vonage.co.uk/free-features/index.php?feature=softphone
    >
    >It shows Xlite; not sure if it works with anything else, perhaps they've got
    >their own hobbled version of Xlite? In any case, it's more expensive than
    >Sipgate, so there's not really any point.

    Cost isn't the issue, it's flexability.

    My client already has a Vonage service, liked VoIP, so bought one of
    my PBXs + VoIP trunk from me and now they want to use their shiny new
    handsets to take calls from their Vonage system, so short of connecting
    the Vonage ATA to an analogue input card in the PBX I don't know what
    to do...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Feb 18, 2009
  7. Gordon Henderson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:gngqk0$1cqe$,
    Gordon Henderson <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:

    [snip]

    : Cost isn't the issue, it's flexability.
    :
    : My client already has a Vonage service, liked VoIP, so bought one of
    : my PBXs + VoIP trunk from me and now they want to use their shiny new
    : handsets to take calls from their Vonage system, so short of
    : connecting the Vonage ATA to an analogue input card in the PBX I don't
    know what
    : to do...

    Is that such a problem..? Works for me.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Feb 18, 2009
  8. Gordon Henderson

    Steve Guest

    "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, alexd <>
    > wrote:
    >>Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone know if you can use Vonage in the UK with something other than
    >>> the supplied ATA they give you?

    >>IIRC you need a 'softphone account' or 'business plus' to use it with
    >>anything other than their ATA.

    > Thanks. I found some stuff on their US website, wasn't sure if it applied
    > to their UK service.
    >
    > It's bonkers - why would they use SIP then lock you into their own kit.
    > (although from a support point of view, I can see why)
    >
    > Gordon

    If it's standard SIP have you tried plugging the ATA into a HUB along
    with a linux box and using tcpdump/wireshark to sniff the registration
    data when you power the ATA on?

    As a clue it looks like the USA version uses the MAC address to
    identify adapters - no personal knowledge just browsed the sites and
    chose 'sign up with store bought ATA' - since that MAC does not
    travel over the internet to them normally my guess it is the username.
    (over there you can also have many units on one account, again
    added bu use of the MAC address - you cannot do that here as
    far as I can see)

    Steve
    Steve, Feb 18, 2009
  9. Gordon Henderson

    alexd Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:

    > so short of connecting the Vonage ATA to an analogue input card in the PBX
    > I don't know what to do...

    Yep, that's exactly what you do. Given the £6 activation + £6PCM it'll cost
    to do it natively in SIP on the PBX by paying for a softphone account, the
    extra analogue port will pay for itself eventually ;-)

    Alternatively, Vonage do make rather a song and dance about number
    portability so perhaps you could port their number out?

    Or permanently divert it to a SIP trunk of your choice?

    http://www.vonage.co.uk/free-features/index.php?feature=call_forwarding

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    23:12:50 up 76 days, 1:24, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.08, 0.08
    alexd, Feb 18, 2009
  10. Gordon Henderson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Jono <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    reason:
    : on 18/02/2009, Ivor Jones supposed :
    : >> so short of
    : >> connecting the Vonage ATA to an analogue input card in the PBX I
    : >> don't know what to do...
    : >
    : > Is that such a problem..? Works for me.
    :
    :
    : Not ideal on an Asterisk PBX.

    Oh..? Why not..?

    : You have a creaking old analogue PBX. Obviously more suitable in this
    : case, though ;-)

    Nothing wrong with my trusty London 16 :)

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Feb 19, 2009
  11. In article <>,
    Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    >In news:,
    >Jono <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    >reason:
    >: on 18/02/2009, Ivor Jones supposed :
    >: >> so short of
    >: >> connecting the Vonage ATA to an analogue input card in the PBX I
    >: >> don't know what to do...
    >: >
    >: > Is that such a problem..? Works for me.
    >:
    >: Not ideal on an Asterisk PBX.
    >
    >Oh..? Why not..?

    It's inefficient. Incoming digital stream -> Analogue in one adapter
    then analogue to digital again in another. Outgoing dialling is usually
    delayed too as there has to be a stream of DTMF to go from the asterisk
    box to the adapter before it clocks it out via VoIP.

    This sort of things does work - I have used it with GSM gateways in the
    past, but it does have a touch of audio degradation (not that 'phone
    quality' is good in the first place, however!) and it increases the
    spaghetti count. (plugs, cables, etc.)

    I actually have a customer who's fronted an old Siemens analogue PBX with
    a pair of Linksys adapters so now has VoIP transit, but their same old
    phones and internal PBX "stuff" and they save the cost of the BT line
    rentals (not my idea, I'd rather sell them a new PBX, but that's what
    they wanted to do!)

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Feb 19, 2009
  12. In article <>, alexd <> wrote:
    >Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >
    >> so short of connecting the Vonage ATA to an analogue input card in the PBX
    >> I don't know what to do...

    >Yep, that's exactly what you do. Given the £6 activation + £6PCM it'll cost
    >to do it natively in SIP on the PBX by paying for a softphone account, the
    >extra analogue port will pay for itself eventually ;-)
    >
    >Alternatively, Vonage do make rather a song and dance about number
    >portability so perhaps you could port their number out?

    Heh... If only it were that easy to port numbers!!!

    >Or permanently divert it to a SIP trunk of your choice?
    >
    >http://www.vonage.co.uk/free-features/index.php?feature=call_forwarding

    Intersting, but they'd have to pay for the outgoing call-leg..

    Anyway, thanks for the suggestions - I think their Vonage account will
    slowly die a death on it's own, so eventually it won't be an issue
    anymore...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Feb 19, 2009
  13. Gordon Henderson

    Graham. Guest

    > Jono <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    > reason:
    > : on 18/02/2009, Ivor Jones supposed :
    > : >> so short of
    > : >> connecting the Vonage ATA to an analogue input card in the PBX I
    > : >> don't know what to do...
    > : >
    > : > Is that such a problem..? Works for me.
    > :
    > :
    > : Not ideal on an Asterisk PBX.
    >
    > Oh..? Why not..?
    >
    > : You have a creaking old analogue PBX. Obviously more suitable in this
    > : case, though ;-)
    >
    > Nothing wrong with my trusty London 16 :)
    >
    > Ivor

    London systems always remind me of the seedy hotel receptions
    where I used to repair them.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Feb 19, 2009
  14. Gordon Henderson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:gnkmuh$640$,
    Graham. <> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
    : > Jono <> typed, for some strange,
    : > unexplained reason:
    : > : on 18/02/2009, Ivor Jones supposed :
    : > : >> so short of
    : > : >> connecting the Vonage ATA to an analogue input card in the PBX
    : > : >> I don't know what to do...
    : > : >
    : > : > Is that such a problem..? Works for me.
    : > :
    : > :
    : > : Not ideal on an Asterisk PBX.
    : >
    : > Oh..? Why not..?
    : >
    : > : You have a creaking old analogue PBX. Obviously more suitable in
    : > : this case, though ;-)
    : >
    : > Nothing wrong with my trusty London 16 :)
    : >
    : > Ivor
    : >
    : London systems always remind me of the seedy hotel receptions
    : where I used to repair them.

    Heh. I also have a London 32 with hotel firmware which runs my collection
    of old phones in the garage. The ability of converting from pulse to DTMF
    seamlessly is one of the reasons I like the London range. It always
    impresses visitors when I dial out over VoIP using a 706 ;-)

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Feb 20, 2009
  15. In article <>,
    Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    >In news:gnkmuh$640$,
    >Graham. <> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
    >: > Jono <> typed, for some strange,
    >: > unexplained reason:
    >: > : on 18/02/2009, Ivor Jones supposed :
    >: > : >> so short of
    >: > : >> connecting the Vonage ATA to an analogue input card in the PBX
    >: > : >> I don't know what to do...
    >: > : >
    >: > : > Is that such a problem..? Works for me.
    >: > :
    >: > :
    >: > : Not ideal on an Asterisk PBX.
    >: >
    >: > Oh..? Why not..?
    >: >
    >: > : You have a creaking old analogue PBX. Obviously more suitable in
    >: > : this case, though ;-)
    >: >
    >: > Nothing wrong with my trusty London 16 :)
    >: >
    >: > Ivor
    >: >
    >: London systems always remind me of the seedy hotel receptions
    >: where I used to repair them.
    >
    >Heh. I also have a London 32 with hotel firmware which runs my collection
    >of old phones in the garage. The ability of converting from pulse to DTMF
    >seamlessly is one of the reasons I like the London range. It always
    >impresses visitors when I dial out over VoIP using a 706 ;-)

    You get the wrong kind of visitors ;-)

    I have a 746 at home connected directly to an asterisk box (none of that
    nasty analogue PBX in between) which my wife throught was nice until
    she actually tried to dial out on it - rotary dialling 11 digit numbers
    isn't good.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Feb 20, 2009
  16. Gordon Henderson

    alexd Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:

    > In article <>, alexd <>
    > wrote:

    >> Or permanently divert it to a SIP trunk of your choice?
    >>
    >> http://www.vonage.co.uk/free-features/index.php?feature=call_forwarding

    > Intersting, but they'd have to pay for the outgoing call-leg..

    Why? Vonage is unlimited to geo numbers, so set up a SIP trunk with a geo
    number, et voila.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    00:49:07 up 78 days, 3:00, 3 users, load average: 0.02, 0.07, 0.08
    alexd, Feb 21, 2009