Vonage Help required

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Carl Waring, Feb 3, 2007.

  1. Carl Waring

    Carl Waring Guest

    I'm just coming to the end of my first month with Vonage and although
    service is excellent, I'm only getting half-duplex call connections. In
    other words, the called party can always hear me, but I can't hear them when
    I'm speaking. Not sure why.

    I've just-about everything on their suggestions list here:
    http://www.vonage.co.uk/help.php?article=1046&category=46&nav=4, except that
    there's no way to put my ATA 'outside' the firewall and there's no way I'm
    disabling that! (I'm using the Netgear WRG614.) The 'port forwarding'
    doesn't help either.

    http://www.testyourvoip.com/details.html?id=NFLZ98
    According to this test I'm getting some 'packet discards' which might or
    might not be the problem. What are they?

    I'm on NTL's 2mb broadband.

    Any help and/or commnents appreciated.

    --
    Carl Waring
    DigiGuide: http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495

    Carl Waring, Feb 3, 2007

  2. Carl Waring

    Carl Waring Guest

    Carl Waring wrote:
    > I'm just coming to the end of my first month with Vonage and although
    > service is excellent, I'm only getting half-duplex call connections.
    > In other words, the called party can always hear me, but I can't hear
    > them when I'm speaking. Not sure why.
    >
    > I've just-about everything on their suggestions list here:
    > http://www.vonage.co.uk/help.php?article=1046&category=46&nav=4,
    > except that there's no way to put my ATA 'outside' the firewall and
    > there's no way I'm disabling that! (I'm using the Netgear WRG614.)
    > The 'port forwarding' doesn't help either.
    >
    > http://www.testyourvoip.com/details.html?id=NFLZ98
    > According to this test I'm getting some 'packet discards' which might
    > or might not be the problem. What are they?
    >
    > I'm on NTL's 2mb broadband.
    >
    > Any help and/or commnents appreciated.

    Just spoken to Vonage themselves and they have no ideas as everything
    checks-out from their end; trace-routes, etc.

    Maybe I'm imagining it? ;-)

    Carl Waring, Feb 3, 2007

  3. Carl Waring

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 09:26:46 GMT, "Carl Waring"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm just coming to the end of my first month with Vonage and although
    >service is excellent, I'm only getting half-duplex call connections. In
    >other words, the called party can always hear me, but I can't hear them when
    >I'm speaking. Not sure why.
    >
    >I've just-about everything on their suggestions list here:
    >http://www.vonage.co.uk/help.php?article=1046&category=46&nav=4, except that
    >there's no way to put my ATA 'outside' the firewall and there's no way I'm
    >disabling that! (I'm using the Netgear WRG614.) The 'port forwarding'
    >doesn't help either.

    I use the same router as you and I get no problem with other services.
    I do have port forwarding set up.
    Mine is a Version 1,but no version printed on the router label because
    it is such an early model.
    If forwarding isn't helping you could try DMZ instead with the IP set
    to that of your Vonage box.
    I trust, btw, that you have the most up to date firmware for your
    router, it is certainly worth checking on that, updating is very easy.
    If yours doesn't have it then firmware updates also facilitate WPA
    encryption.

    With Vonage you are paying for premium service. If you are not able
    to realise that service then you might consider setting up your own
    box where you will have more control and cheaper prices.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Feb 3, 2007
  4. Carl Waring

    Jono Guest

    Carl Waring expressed precisely :
    > I'm just coming to the end of my first month with Vonage and although service
    > is excellent, I'm only getting half-duplex call connections. In other words,
    > the called party can always hear me, but I can't hear them when I'm speaking.
    > Not sure why.

    How can one way audio be considered excellent service?

    Anyway, one way audio is almost certainly an issue at your end.

    Try, as Brian suggests, putting your ATA in your router's DMZ.

    Jono, Feb 3, 2007
  5. Thus spaketh Jono:
    > Carl Waring expressed precisely :
    >> I'm just coming to the end of my first month with Vonage and
    >> although service is excellent, I'm only getting half-duplex call
    >> connections. In other words, the called party can always hear me,
    >> but I can't hear them when I'm speaking. Not sure why.

    > How can one way audio be considered excellent service?

    Because they think they are getting a load of extras being with Vonage,
    when in fact they are free even with the free VoIP providers, it's part
    of VoIP?

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 3, 2007
  6. Carl Waring

    J Clavox Guest

    On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 12:27:53 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"

    >Because they think they are getting a load of extras being with Vonage,
    >when in fact they are free even with the free VoIP providers, it's part
    >of VoIP?

    Does voip.co.uk,voipfone.co.uk,BT Homephone,Sipgate,Aldi,etc etc offer
    free calls 24 hours a day to support ! I don't think so do they also
    provide you with a free 4 port router I don't think so .There are many
    things that you get with the Vonage package that you do not get with
    any other voip provider lets face it you cannot even speak to
    Sipgate's tech support .
    Vonage is good but you do have to pay just a little for it and at less
    than 50p a day it doesn't exactly need a second mortgage being taken
    out to pay for it .

    J Clavox, Feb 3, 2007
  7. Carl Waring

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 19:15:52 +0000, J Clavox wrote:

    >On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 12:27:53 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    ><bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>Because they think they are getting a load of extras being with Vonage,
    >>when in fact they are free even with the free VoIP providers, it's part
    >>of VoIP?

    >Does voip.co.uk,voipfone.co.uk,BT Homephone,Sipgate,Aldi,etc etc offer
    >free calls 24 hours a day to support ! I don't think so do they also
    >provide you with a free 4 port router I don't think so .There are many
    >things that you get with the Vonage package that you do not get with
    >any other voip provider lets face it you cannot even speak to
    >Sipgate's tech support .
    >Vonage is good but you do have to pay just a little for it and at less
    >than 50p a day it doesn't exactly need a second mortgage being taken
    >out to pay for it .

    The relative merits of Vonage v other providers has been discussed
    many times before. I think that the points you raise sum up the type
    of service that some people, usually the less technically inclined ,
    may want. However, the OP was not getting the type of telephone
    service one should expect from a company like Vonage that is supposed
    to provide a premium product.
    If Vonage works well then it is good for those people who want that
    type of service. Then there are those, like myself, where it would be
    a waste of money and it would do no good for my self education in voip
    technology. Many people like to set up equipment themselves and get
    satisfaction from getting it working, customising it to their own
    requirements and being in control of how it runs.
    So, you see - if you want just a telephone service, that hopefully
    will work OK out of the box, go for Vonage and pay a price for it.
    If you want to learn about how it all works and be in full control of
    your telephone service you definitely don't go for Vonage. It is
    simply horses for courses. There is no right or wrong in this.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Feb 3, 2007
  8. Carl Waring

    Graham Guest

    > How can one way audio be considered excellent service?

    Mmm, It might be. Rather depends on who is on the other end of the line ;-).

    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Feb 4, 2007
  9. Carl Waring

    Carl Waring Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > Carl Waring expressed precisely :
    >> I'm just coming to the end of my first month with Vonage and
    >> although service is excellent, I'm only getting half-duplex call
    >> connections. In other words, the called party can always hear me,
    >> but I can't hear them when I'm speaking. Not sure why.

    > How can one way audio be considered excellent service?

    I'm fairly certain that I did qualify my statement.

    Anyway, and as an Vonage-hater I'm sure you'll love this, we've reached the
    conclusion that the ATA must be faulty.

    I'll try the suggestions from here first though. Thanks all. :)

    Carl Waring, Feb 4, 2007
  10. Carl Waring

    Jono Guest

    Carl Waring brought next idea :
    > Jono wrote:
    >> Carl Waring expressed precisely :
    >>> I'm just coming to the end of my first month with Vonage and
    >>> although service is excellent, I'm only getting half-duplex call
    >>> connections. In other words, the called party can always hear me,
    >>> but I can't hear them when I'm speaking. Not sure why.

    >> How can one way audio be considered excellent service?

    > I'm fairly certain that I did qualify my statement.
    >
    > Anyway, and as an Vonage-hater I'm sure you'll love this, we've reached the
    > conclusion that the ATA must be faulty.
    >
    > I'll try the suggestions from here first though. Thanks all. :)

    Who's a Vonage hater?

    I've never used them, so cannot comment - nor have I ever made any
    comments about Vonage.

    In fact, the bit of my post you snipped pointed you towards a problem
    at your end, not at your provider's end.

    Jono, Feb 4, 2007
  11. Thus spaketh Carl Waring:
    > Jono wrote:
    >> Carl Waring expressed precisely :
    >>> I'm just coming to the end of my first month with Vonage and
    >>> although service is excellent, I'm only getting half-duplex call
    >>> connections. In other words, the called party can always hear me,
    >>> but I can't hear them when I'm speaking. Not sure why.

    >> How can one way audio be considered excellent service?

    > I'm fairly certain that I did qualify my statement.
    >
    > Anyway, and as an Vonage-hater I'm sure you'll love this, we've
    > reached the conclusion that the ATA must be faulty.
    >
    > I'll try the suggestions from here first though. Thanks all. :)

    For people who make enough phones calls and who hope to have an easy
    life, Vonage serves them well.

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 4, 2007
  12. Carl Waring

    Carl Waring Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > Carl Waring brought next idea :
    >> Jono wrote:
    >>> Carl Waring expressed precisely :
    >>>
    >>> How can one way audio be considered excellent service?

    >> I'm fairly certain that I did qualify my statement.
    >>
    >> Anyway, and as an Vonage-hater I'm sure you'll love this, we've
    >> reached the conclusion that the ATA must be faulty.
    >>
    >> I'll try the suggestions from here first though. Thanks all. :)

    > Who's a Vonage hater?
    >
    > I've never used them, so cannot comment - nor have I ever made any
    > comments about Vonage.

    Sorry. I think I was confusing you with someone else.

    > In fact, the bit of my post you snipped pointed you towards a problem
    > at your end, not at your provider's end.

    Will go back and double-check stuff today.

    Carl Waring, Feb 5, 2007