Vonage / Draytel

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Carl Waring, Sep 7, 2006.

  1. Carl Waring

    Carl Waring Guest

    Carl Waring, Sep 7, 2006

  2. In article <owVLg.15150$>,
    Carl Waring <> wrote:
    >I have been looking at Vonage (www.vonage.co.uk) but have just found another
    >company called Draytel (www.draytel.org) who do PAYG with no up-front fees.
    >Anyone here with them at the moment care to comment?
    >
    >I know there are a load of VoIP providers out there but if I'm going to use
    >one I'd prefer to use one that doesn't tie me to my PC!

    Why not buy an IP phone if you don't want to be tied to your PC?

    Eg.
    http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Grandstream Budgetone 101

    for a cheap & cheerfull entry level IP phone...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Sep 7, 2006

  3. Carl Waring

    Carl Waring Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > In article <owVLg.15150$>,
    > Carl Waring <> wrote:
    >> I have been looking at Vonage (www.vonage.co.uk) but have just found
    >> another
    >> company called Draytel (www.draytel.org) who do PAYG with no up-front
    >> fees.
    >> Anyone here with them at the moment care to comment?
    >>
    >> I know there are a load of VoIP providers out there but if I'm going to
    >> use
    >> one I'd prefer to use one that doesn't tie me to my PC!

    > Why not buy an IP phone if you don't want to be tied to your PC?
    >
    > Eg.
    > http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Grandstream Budgetone 101

    For that price I can join Vonage or Draytel and use my existing, DECT phone
    :-/

    --
    Carl Waring
    DigiGuide: http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495
    Carl Waring, Sep 7, 2006
  4. Carl Waring

    alexd Guest

    Carl Waring wrote:

    > Gordon Henderson wrote:

    >> Why not buy an IP phone if you don't want to be tied to your PC?
    >>
    >> Eg. http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Grandstream Budgetone 101

    > For that price I can join Vonage or Draytel and use my existing, DECT
    > phone
    > :-/

    If it satisfies your requirements [which it appears to], then go for it.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    17:58:44 up 12 days, 2:03, 1 user, load average: 0.09, 0.12, 0.09
    alexd, Sep 7, 2006
  5. In article <VQWLg.15199$>,
    Carl Waring <> wrote:
    >Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >> In article <owVLg.15150$>,
    >> Carl Waring <> wrote:
    >>> I have been looking at Vonage (www.vonage.co.uk) but have just found
    >>> another
    >>> company called Draytel (www.draytel.org) who do PAYG with no up-front
    >>> fees.
    >>> Anyone here with them at the moment care to comment?
    >>>
    >>> I know there are a load of VoIP providers out there but if I'm going to
    >>> use
    >>> one I'd prefer to use one that doesn't tie me to my PC!

    >> Why not buy an IP phone if you don't want to be tied to your PC?
    >>
    >> Eg.
    >> http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Grandstream Budgetone 101

    >For that price I can join Vonage or Draytel and use my existing, DECT phone
    >:-/

    I presume you mean by buying an ATA to connect your existing DECT phone
    into. But if you use your PC, you really ought to get a good headset
    and thats going to costs you half as much as an ATA or a cheap IP phone,
    so ...

    Or by suggestion Draytel, do you mean that you have a Vigor router with a
    phone socket on the back on it that you can plug your DECT phone into?

    Give us more details, tell us what you really want and what you already
    have, and maybe we can suggest something...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Sep 7, 2006
  6. Carl Waring

    Carl Waring Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > In article <VQWLg.15199$>,
    > Carl Waring <> wrote:
    >> Gordon Henderson wrote:

    >>> Why not buy an IP phone if you don't want to be tied to your PC?
    >>>
    >>> Eg.
    >>> http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Grandstream Budgetone 101

    >> For that price I can join Vonage or Draytel and use my existing, DECT
    >> phone
    >> :-/

    > I presume you mean by buying an ATA to connect your existing DECT phone
    > into. But if you use your PC, you really ought to get a good headset
    > and thats going to costs you half as much as an ATA or a cheap IP phone,
    > so ...
    >
    > Or by suggestion Draytel, do you mean that you have a Vigor router with a
    > phone socket on the back on it that you can plug your DECT phone into?
    >
    > Give us more details, tell us what you really want and what you already
    > have, and maybe we can suggest something...
    >
    > Gordon

    As I said, I DO NOT want to be tied to my PC. That's it!

    With both Vonage and Draytel I can use my current DECT cordless phone either
    by renting (with the former) or buying (with the latter) an ATA that will
    plug into my existing router; a Netgear WRG614.

    My other idea was to buy a new Router with a built-in VoIP adapter and sell
    my current one on Ebay. I then don't need one off either company.

    Any clearer?

    Carl Waring, Sep 7, 2006
  7. Thus spaketh Carl Waring:
    > Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >> In article <VQWLg.15199$>,
    >> Carl Waring <> wrote:

    >>> For that price I can join Vonage or Draytel and use my existing,
    >>> DECT phone
    >>> :-/

    >> I presume you mean by buying an ATA to connect your existing DECT
    >> phone into. But if you use your PC, you really ought to get a good
    >> headset and thats going to costs you half as much as an ATA or a
    >> cheap IP
    >> phone, so ...
    >>
    >> Or by suggestion Draytel, do you mean that you have a Vigor router
    >> with a phone socket on the back on it that you can plug your DECT
    >> phone into? Give us more details, tell us what you really want and
    >> what you
    >> already have, and maybe we can suggest something...
    >>
    >> Gordon

    > As I said, I DO NOT want to be tied to my PC. That's it!
    >
    > With both Vonage and Draytel I can use my current DECT cordless phone
    > either by renting (with the former) or buying (with the latter) an
    > ATA that will plug into my existing router; a Netgear WRG614.
    >
    > My other idea was to buy a new Router with a built-in VoIP adapter
    > and sell my current one on Ebay. I then don't need one off either
    > company.
    > Any clearer?

    I use a Linksys PAP2 connected to my router, to the PAP2 I have
    connected up my usual DECT cordless and corded phones, on this I use
    VoIPStunt and Sipgate.

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Sep 7, 2006
  8. Carl Waring

    BY Guest

    Carl Waring wrote on 07/09/2006 :

    > As I said, I DO NOT want to be tied to my PC. That's it!
    >
    > With both Vonage and Draytel I can use my current DECT cordless phone
    > either by renting (with the former) or buying (with the latter) an ATA that
    > will plug into my existing router; a Netgear WRG614.
    >
    > My other idea was to buy a new Router with a built-in VoIP adapter and sell
    > my current one on Ebay. I then don't need one off either company.
    >
    > Any clearer?

    I think an unlocked ATA is your best bet - have a look at a
    Sipura/Linksys SPA1001 for a start.
    BY, Sep 7, 2006
  9. Carl Waring

    Brian Guest

    [Do you have the right to use the redyonder domain? If not, why arrange
    to have mail directed there?]

    On 2006-09-07, Carl Waring <> wrote:

    > Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >> Give us more details, tell us what you really want and what you
    >> already have, and maybe we can suggest something...
    >>
    >> Gordon

    > As I said, I DO NOT want to be tied to my PC. That's it!

    An admirable sentiment. Many would concur.

    > With both Vonage and Draytel I can use my current DECT cordless phone
    > either by renting (with the former) or buying (with the latter) an ATA
    > that will plug into my existing router; a Netgear WRG614.

    I imagine you are aware the ATAs are locked to either Vonage or Draytel.
    If that doesn't matter to you the Draytel one looks good value. The
    service offering is not at all bad either and PAYG may suit your calling
    habits better than Vonage's monthly payments. Both websites have
    sufficient information for you to make a detailed comparison but you may
    want to keep in mind that Vonage's network is closed whereas Draytel's
    isn't.

    > My other idea was to buy a new Router with a built-in VoIP adapter and
    > sell my current one on Ebay. I then don't need one off either company.

    That is one way to go. Or you could purchase an ATA for about 40 GBP to
    use with your present router. Either way you would not be tied to a
    single provider.

    Brian.
    Brian, Sep 7, 2006
  10. Carl Waring

    Guest

    Carl Waring wrote:
    > I have been looking at Vonage (www.vonage.co.uk) but have just found another
    > company called Draytel (www.draytel.org) who do PAYG with no up-front fees.
    > Anyone here with them at the moment care to comment?
    >
    > I know there are a load of VoIP providers out there but if I'm going to use
    > one I'd prefer to use one that doesn't tie me to my PC!

    I have been using Draytel for quite a few months now, very happy had no
    outages with service etc. Free PSTN number from any area once you put
    £20 credit on.

    I use the FXS port on a Vigor Router connected to a spare trunk port on
    a PBX - works great, the VigorTalk ATA is very good value but does need
    the odd reboot, service would be more reliable with a decent VoIP
    enabled router, ATA such as SPA-3000 or decent IP Phone.

    regards
    Simon
    , Sep 8, 2006
  11. In article <yR%Lg.15471$>,
    Carl Waring <> wrote:

    >As I said, I DO NOT want to be tied to my PC. That's it!
    >
    >With both Vonage and Draytel I can use my current DECT cordless phone either
    >by renting (with the former) or buying (with the latter) an ATA that will
    >plug into my existing router; a Netgear WRG614.
    >
    >My other idea was to buy a new Router with a built-in VoIP adapter and sell
    >my current one on Ebay. I then don't need one off either company.
    >
    >Any clearer?

    Sure. So what I said earlier was valid, but it sounds like you're on a
    very tight budget though. You'd probably be better off sticking to your
    current router (it's fine), and buying an ATA than go through the hassle
    of buying a new router & selling your current one. Then you have the means
    to talk to any VoIP provider and not just Vonage (who'll sell/rent you a
    locked ATA) or Draytel (fine, but not the best prices as I understand it)

    However, ATAs are slightly more expensive than the cheap phones you can
    get now! (but shop around and you might find something - eg.

    http://www.orbtalk.co.uk/content/view/25/1/

    £50 up front and they give you a free ATA... (I've not used these people,
    but their rates look reasonable...)

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Sep 8, 2006
  12. Carl Waring

    Brian A Guest

    On 7 Sep 2006 16:04:46 -0700, wrote:

    >Carl Waring wrote:
    >> I have been looking at Vonage (www.vonage.co.uk) but have just found another
    >> company called Draytel (www.draytel.org) who do PAYG with no up-front fees.
    >> Anyone here with them at the moment care to comment?
    >>
    >> I know there are a load of VoIP providers out there but if I'm going to use
    >> one I'd prefer to use one that doesn't tie me to my PC!

    >I have been using Draytel for quite a few months now, very happy had no
    >outages with service etc. Free PSTN number from any area once you put
    >£20 credit on.
    >
    >I use the FXS port on a Vigor Router connected to a spare trunk port on
    >a PBX - works great, the VigorTalk ATA is very good value but does need
    >the odd reboot, service would be more reliable with a decent VoIP
    >enabled router, ATA such as SPA-3000 or decent IP Phone.
    >
    >regards
    >Simon

    With Draytel you are paying a minimun of £20/year to remain on the
    silver tariff. If you were to get an unlocked ATA and go with
    www.voip.co.uk
    then you'd pay the same, have free off-peak calls to UK geographicals
    and peak calls to UK geographicals at 2p/call.
    With an unlocked ATA you have a choice to move. With a locked ATA you
    pay to stay with one company, if you move from that company your ATA
    becomes a paperweight (unless you can unlock it of course).

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Sep 8, 2006
  13. Carl Waring

    Carl Waring Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > sufficient information for you to make a detailed comparison but you may
    > want to keep in mind that Vonage's network is closed whereas Draytel's
    > isn't.

    Huh? I know what the term means, but can you put it in context for me.
    Thanks.

    Carl Waring, Sep 8, 2006
  14. Carl Waring

    Brian Guest

    [I see your're still irresponsibly using a domain in your From: header
    you have no right to use.]

    On 2006-09-08, Carl Waring <> wrote:

    > "Brian" <> wrote in message
    >> sufficient information for you to make a detailed comparison but you may
    >> want to keep in mind that Vonage's network is closed whereas Draytel's
    >> isn't.

    > Huh? I know what the term means, but can you put it in context for me.
    > Thanks.

    You have the facility to make SIP calls to any other SIP network with
    Draytel. Also, you can be contacted from other networks. On Vonage you
    can only make SIP-to-SIP calls to other Vonage customers.

    Brian.
    Brian, Sep 8, 2006
  15. Carl Waring

    Jono Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > [I see your're still irresponsibly using a domain in your From: header
    > you have no right to use.]
    >
    > On 2006-09-08, Carl Waring <> wrote:

    Huh?

    Result of WHOIS query:

    No match for "redyonder.co.uk".

    This domain name has not been registered.

    WHOIS lookup made at 11:13:59 08-Sep-2006
    Jono, Sep 8, 2006
  16. Carl Waring

    Carl Waring Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > "Brian" <> wrote in message
    >> [I see your're still irresponsibly using a domain in your From: header
    >> you have no right to use.]
    >>
    >> On 2006-09-08, Carl Waring <> wrote:

    > Huh?
    >
    > Result of WHOIS query:

    > No match for "redyonder.co.uk".
    >
    > This domain name has not been registered.
    >
    > WHOIS lookup made at 11:13:59 08-Sep-2006

    It's called a SPAMTRAP :)

    Carl Waring, Sep 8, 2006
  17. Carl Waring

    Carl Waring Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > [I see your're still irresponsibly using a domain in your From: header
    > you have no right to use.]
    >
    > On 2006-09-08, Carl Waring <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Brian" <> wrote in message
    >>> sufficient information for you to make a detailed comparison but you may
    >>> want to keep in mind that Vonage's network is closed whereas Draytel's
    >>> isn't.

    >> Huh? I know what the term means, but can you put it in context for me.
    >> Thanks.

    > You have the facility to make SIP calls to any other SIP network with
    > Draytel. Also, you can be contacted from other networks. On Vonage you
    > can only make SIP-to-SIP calls to other Vonage customers.

    Thanks, Brian. Looks like Draytel might be the one to go with. I currently
    use one.tel for my calls and usually spend less than a fiver a month on
    calls, so to pay Vonage £7.99 pm seems a little extreme, even if it does
    include all 01 calls.

    Oh, and as mentioned elsewhere, the FROM: thing's a spamtrap :)

    Carl Waring, Sep 8, 2006
  18. Carl Waring

    Jono Guest

    "Carl Waring" <> wrote in message

    >>> [I see your're still irresponsibly using a domain in your From: header
    >>> you have no right to use.]
    >>>
    >>> On 2006-09-08, Carl Waring <> wrote:

    >> Huh?
    >>
    >> Result of WHOIS query:

    >> No match for "redyonder.co.uk".
    >>
    >> This domain name has not been registered.
    >>
    >> WHOIS lookup made at 11:13:59 08-Sep-2006

    > It's called a SPAMTRAP :)

    I know.

    I was querying Brian's objection to your use of it.

    I suppose, you shouldn't use a domain that may at some point be allocated as
    you could be storing up problems for the ultimate registrant.........
    Jono, Sep 8, 2006
  19. Carl Waring

    Carl Waring Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > "Carl Waring" <> wrote in message

    >>> Huh?
    >>>
    >>> Result of WHOIS query:

    >>> No match for "redyonder.co.uk".
    >>>
    >>> This domain name has not been registered.
    >>>
    >>> WHOIS lookup made at 11:13:59 08-Sep-2006

    >> It's called a SPAMTRAP :)

    > I know.
    > I was querying Brian's objection to your use of it.

    Whoops! Sorry :)

    > I suppose, you shouldn't use a domain that may at some point be allocated
    > as
    > you could be storing up problems for the ultimate registrant.........

    Possibly. However, I'm sure that "REMOVETHIS", etc. can be easily got around
    by now :)

    Carl Waring, Sep 8, 2006
  20. Carl Waring

    Al Guest

    On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 10:34:38 GMT, Jono wrote:

    >I suppose, you shouldn't use a domain that may at some point be allocated as
    >you could be storing up problems for the ultimate registrant.........

    Indeed, it can cause problems to the ultimate registrant when you
    illegally use a domain like say ...nothanksneverblueyonder.com

    lookup failed nothanksneverblueyonder.com
    Could not find an IP address for this domain name.

    Instead of storing up trouble for the ultimate registrant, why not use
    the allowable construct of:

    nothanksneverblueyonder.invalid
    ?
    Al, Sep 8, 2006