Vonage caller ID freeware

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Jared Subman, Aug 26, 2005.

  1. Jared Subman

    Jared Subman Guest

    I have what I thought would be two VERY simple questions but after an
    EXHAUSTIVE search, I'm still in the dark.
    Any help would be IMMENSELY appreciated.

    1) How can I go about getting an application such as Phonetray
    (http://phonetray.traysoft.com/freecalleridsoftware_features.htm) to
    work with Vonage WITHOUT having a dialup modem?
    In other words, is there ANY way to use my existing RT31P2 router to
    display/speak when I have an incoming call?

    2) I would like to run a program every time I receive an incoming
    call. I thought I would be able to do this using SIP to detect the
    caller ID and some sort of batch script but am very much lost as to
    how to do it but can't imagine it would be that difficult.

    I know this MUST be possible to do because the webpage has caller ID
    there. How are they doing it? Why is it that EVERYTHING I have found
    thus far tells me I must use a 56K modem??

    Thanks in advance.

    Jared Subman, Aug 26, 2005

  2. Jared Subman wrote:
    > I have what I thought would be two VERY simple questions but after an
    > EXHAUSTIVE search, I'm still in the dark.
    > Any help would be IMMENSELY appreciated.
    >
    > 1) How can I go about getting an application such as Phonetray
    > (http://phonetray.traysoft.com/freecalleridsoftware_features.htm) to
    > work with Vonage WITHOUT having a dialup modem?
    > In other words, is there ANY way to use my existing RT31P2 router to
    > display/speak when I have an incoming call?
    >
    > 2) I would like to run a program every time I receive an incoming
    > call. I thought I would be able to do this using SIP to detect the
    > caller ID and some sort of batch script but am very much lost as to
    > how to do it but can't imagine it would be that difficult.
    >
    > I know this MUST be possible to do because the webpage has caller ID
    > there. How are they doing it? Why is it that EVERYTHING I have found
    > thus far tells me I must use a 56K modem??

    >From what I understand, Phonetray reads the Caller ID information from

    the POTS telephone line, where it's sent while the telephone is
    ringing; the dialup modem is connected to the line, and can read and
    decode such information to pass it to the Phonetray application. As
    long as you have an ATA that converts VoIP calls (e.g., SIP INVITE
    messages) into rings + caller ID sent to a conventional analog
    telephone set, _and_ you connect the line from the ATA to the "line"
    connector of the modem and the "phone" connector to the telephone set,
    Phonetray should work as advertised. In fact, Phonetray won't even
    _know_ that the call originally arrived from the Internet and was
    converted by the ATA before being sent to the modem.

    Of course, un theory one could also get the Caller ID directly from the
    SIP messages arriving from the Internet: but that would require a way
    to make those SIP messages available to the software replacing
    Phonetray (and, of course, would also require the existence of such
    software!). But the RT31P2 captures the SIP messages and uses them
    inside its built-in ATA, without ever giving the PC a chance of seeing
    them on its ethernet interface. This means that also the caller ID
    information never arrives to the computer, and therefore can't be used
    by any piece of software running there.

    Enzo

    Enzo Michelangeli, Aug 26, 2005