Vonage and Time Warner Cable-voice fades, cut-out of signal

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by pattyjamas@gmail.com, Dec 7, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I am a new user of Vonage using the PAP2 Linksys adapter hooked to my
    Linksys Router which is hooked to the Cable Modem. Internet Wall
    Cable-->Cable Modem (Ambit from RR)----> *Linksys WRT54GS Router---->
    PAP2 Vonage adapter (and also a PC hooked to router).

    Noticed since I bought this and after calling tech support for RR and
    for Vonage, as well as increasing my RR badwidth (extra charge),
    lowering bandwidth usage on Vonage site, etc......

    ....that after perhaps 20 minutes on long distance calls, the other
    person will not hear me for about 10-20 seconds. This occured about 6
    times so far--had it for about 6 days. Had it disconnect call 3 times
    hte first fday but this never occured again.

    I am using a corded phone (not a wireless phone). I am sitting right
    next to my comptuer where all the equipment is. Not doing anything on
    my computer at all except perhaps a little surfing. My Upload speed is
    >489Kbps/60kBs and download is about 7644Kbps/933/kBs

    There is no one else using my RR resouces in my house. Router is tied
    down via MAC address for extra security.

    I ran the testyourvoip.com (and http://www.testmy.net and a few other
    sites) and got a MOS 4.4 but high latency (179ms to and from San Jose).

    Pings to www.yahoo.com were in the 20ms range.

    ***************Anyone else experiewnce problems, people not hearing
    them, etc..

    Thanks for sharing your experiences.

    I can return this in 3 more weeks and try Timee Warners service or just

    Thanks
    Patty
    , Dec 7, 2005

  2. Vox Humana Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I am a new user of Vonage using the PAP2 Linksys adapter hooked to my
    > Linksys Router which is hooked to the Cable Modem. Internet Wall
    > Cable-->Cable Modem (Ambit from RR)----> *Linksys WRT54GS Router---->
    > PAP2 Vonage adapter (and also a PC hooked to router).
    >
    > Noticed since I bought this and after calling tech support for RR and
    > for Vonage, as well as increasing my RR badwidth (extra charge),
    > lowering bandwidth usage on Vonage site, etc......
    >
    > ...that after perhaps 20 minutes on long distance calls, the other
    > person will not hear me for about 10-20 seconds. This occured about 6
    > times so far--had it for about 6 days. Had it disconnect call 3 times
    > hte first fday but this never occured again.
    >
    > I am using a corded phone (not a wireless phone). I am sitting right
    > next to my comptuer where all the equipment is. Not doing anything on
    > my computer at all except perhaps a little surfing. My Upload speed is
    > >489Kbps/60kBs and download is about 7644Kbps/933/kBs

    > There is no one else using my RR resouces in my house. Router is tied
    > down via MAC address for extra security.
    >
    > I ran the testyourvoip.com (and http://www.testmy.net and a few other
    > sites) and got a MOS 4.4 but high latency (179ms to and from San Jose).
    >

    > Pings to www.yahoo.com were in the 20ms range.
    >

    > ***************Anyone else experiewnce problems, people not hearing
    > them, etc..
    >
    > Thanks for sharing your experiences.
    >
    > I can return this in 3 more weeks and try Timee Warners service or just

    It is probably your VOIP provider. I would return the Vonage box and go
    with another provider who issues an unlocked device. I've been pretty happy
    with Teliax (www.teliax.com) and their price is competitive (or less
    expensive) than Vonage. They will sell you an unlocked adapter which you
    can configure for an additional provider if you want or you can use for
    another provider should you want to switch.

    Personally, I would forget about TW's VOIP service because it is far too
    expensive. You may as well stick with a PSTN phone company if you want to
    pay the kind of money TW charges.
    Vox Humana, Dec 7, 2005

  3. Guest

    Thanks,
    Patty
    , Dec 7, 2005
  4. "Vox Humana" <> writes:
    > It is probably your VOIP provider. I would return the Vonage box and go
    > with another provider who issues an unlocked device. I've been pretty happy
    > with Teliax (www.teliax.com) and their price is competitive (or less
    > expensive) than Vonage.

    I recall one regular in the comp.dcom.telecom groups mentioned that he
    sent his Vonage unit back after a few years of service with them. I
    seems that they were maxing out some circuits on the path between him
    and them and dropping bits of conversations. They didn't really care
    to investigate or fix. Switching services cured that.

    > They will sell you an unlocked adapter which you can configure for
    > an additional provider if you want or you can use for another
    > provider should you want to switch.

    They also let you bring your own (at least on the pay-by-the-minute
    plan).

    One of the service providers I'm thinking of auditioning next (and
    having one more fall-back provider) is Sipphone. They allow free
    direct inward SIP calling, believe in an open internet and also sell
    2-cent minutes with no monthlies. They are also much closer to me
    delay-wise than any of the other voip/pstn gateway providers I'm now
    using. Google seems to like Sipphone too and is going to interconnect
    with them and Earthlink once Google gets some policy issues worked
    out. Anyone here use them yet? Hows the service?

    -wolfgang
    Direct SIP URL Dialing: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html
    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Dec 7, 2005
  5. Vox Humana Guest

    "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
    <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > One of the service providers I'm thinking of auditioning next (and
    > having one more fall-back provider) is Sipphone. They allow free
    > direct inward SIP calling, believe in an open internet and also sell
    > 2-cent minutes with no monthlies. They are also much closer to me
    > delay-wise than any of the other voip/pstn gateway providers I'm now
    > using. Google seems to like Sipphone too and is going to interconnect
    > with them and Earthlink once Google gets some policy issues worked
    > out. Anyone here use them yet? Hows the service?

    Coincidentally, I just configured Sipphone on the second line of my PAP2-NA.
    I have Teliax on line one. They sold me the unlocked box. I am happy with
    their service in general. The quality is good and it has been reliable for
    the most part. Communications have been bad in that they didn't adequately
    explain some of their fees, including the charge for incoming calls, the
    (now discontinued) connect charge, and the fee for porting your existing
    number. Also, their "voice mail sent to your email" system hasn't worked
    for months. They are now previewing caller ID with name and I hope they
    decide to keep the service at no additional charge.

    Since most of my calls are incoming long distance calls from relatives with
    unlimited long distance service, I couldn't see paying for incoming calls.
    I set up the Sipphone account on line two. I had to get a phone number in
    another city, but that doesn't matter to the people who call me. The
    monthly fee works out to about $3 for the DID, no charge for incoming calls,
    and 2 cents/min for outgoing -- which seems very inexpensive. Teliax
    charges $5/mo for a DID and 2 cents/min for both incoming and outgoing. So
    far the quality of the Sipphone connection isn't quite as good as Teliax.
    There is a significant delay when placing a call. After dialing, there is
    some dead time and then the amount of money left on your account is
    announced. Finally, the call is connected. I also had some problems at
    first receiving calls. After reading their knowledge base, I discovered
    that I needed to delete my registration from their server (a tool is
    provided at their web portal) and then reboot my ATA. That seems to have
    solved the problem. If they had a local number, I would consider dropping
    Teliax. I guess paying for incoming calls bothers me - A LOT. For now, I
    will keep both services and use Sipphone for most incoming calls, and both
    Teliax and Sipphone for outgoing calls.
    Vox Humana, Dec 8, 2005