    use a third party service to handle this?

    Educated guesses are welcome

    Thanks
    Brian Young, May 10, 2004

  2. >Does anyone know how Vonage is able to assign and port numbers from
    >anywhere in the US? Are they a CLEC with their own CIC code or do
    >they use a third party service to handle this?

    They have deals with CLECs all over the country to provide local PSTN
    access. Around here (upstate NY) the CLEC is Paetec, but they use
    many different CLECs to get all those local numbers.

    Since the other VoIP carriers also use CLECs, I'm more wondering why
    the other carriers can't port rather than why Vonage can.
    John R. Levine, May 11, 2004