    Why does my air con kick in when I am away from the locked car with the
    ignition keys in my pocket.
    We have had instances lately of being in bed and the air con kicks in

    caroline, Jun 18, 2007

  2. caroline

    Guest

    "caroline" <> wrote:

    >Why does my air con kick in when I am away from the locked car with the
    >ignition keys in my pocket.
    >We have had instances lately of being in bed and the air con kicks in

    You sure it's the A/C and not the radiator fan coming on?

    That fan is temp controlled and can come on at anytime.

    --
    Police nab 700 in global pedophile ring, leaving thousands
    wondering who will conduct mass next Sunday?

    , Jun 18, 2007

  3. caroline

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 21:33:59 GMT, "caroline" <>
    wrote:

    >Why does my air con kick in when I am away from the locked car with the
    >ignition keys in my pocket.
    >We have had instances lately of being in bed and the air con kicks in

    I doubt it's the air conditioner. More likely an engine block cooler
    keeping the engine or something else cool.

    Either that or your car is possessed.

    Evan Platt, Jun 18, 2007
  4. caroline

    olfart Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 21:33:59 GMT, "caroline" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Why does my air con kick in when I am away from the locked car with the
    >>ignition keys in my pocket.
    >>We have had instances lately of being in bed and the air con kicks in

    > I doubt it's the air conditioner. More likely an engine block cooler
    > keeping the engine or something else cool.
    >
    > Either that or your car is possessed.
    > --

    or you are generating alot of heat in the bedroom :)>)

    olfart, Jun 18, 2007
  5. caroline

    PeeCee Guest

    "caroline" <> wrote in message
    > Why does my air con kick in when I am away from the locked car with the
    > ignition keys in my pocket.
    > We have had instances lately of being in bed and the air con kicks in

    Caroline

    Car air condition pumps are usually driven by a rubber belt from the motor,
    so if the motor is off it is not the air conditioning you are hearing.

    Most likely you are hearing the radiator cooling fan kick in as the
    temperature goes above the cut in temperature.

    I'll bet you notice this happening after a longish trip and in warmer
    weather.
    During normal motoring the forward motion of the car forces air through the
    radiator and in most vehicles the cooling capacity of the radiator is enough
    to keep the engine at its correct operating temperature at any speed over a
    few tens of KMH or MPH without the assistance of the electrical fan.

    After switching the (petrol/diesel) motor off the latent heat from the motor
    continues to transfer into the radiator coolant raising it's temperature.
    Without the cooling effect of air passing through the radiator by forward
    motion the coolant temperature will rise until the thermal sensor
    controlling the radiator cooling fan decides to kick in thereby drawing air
    through the radiator.

    The radiator cooling fan is electrical and is usually wired to operate
    independantly of the ignition system, hence it is able to work even with the
    ignition keys in your pocket.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jun 18, 2007
  6. Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 21:33:59 GMT, "caroline" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Why does my air con kick in when I am away from the locked car with the
    >>ignition keys in my pocket.
    >>We have had instances lately of being in bed and the air con kicks in

    > I doubt it's the air conditioner. More likely an engine block cooler
    > keeping the engine or something else cool.
    >
    > Either that or your car is possessed.

    Which is probably better then it being repossessed.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 19, 2007
  7. caroline

    JANA Guest

    What you are hearing is the engine cooling fan. This is normal to happen
    after the engine is shut off, especially in hot weather.

    After parking a car, the heat from the engine block will come out to the
    surface area. The electric cooling fan will start up to keep the engine
    compartment and the block cooled. Many cars will do this. My cars do this,
    especially on warm days.

    --

    JANA
    _____