Volume Shadow Copy

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Guest, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hello,

    I'm reading on a Syngress Book that in order to make live
    backups of a Wins server you need to activate volume
    shadow copy on the volume where the Wins database is
    stored (tipically where Windows is installed). Is this
    correct ? I thought that enabling VSC was required to let
    clients be able to access previous versions of files
    through unc pathnames (provided they had the client
    software installed). The backup utility should be able to
    backup open files even on volumes where this feature is
    not enabled by making a background vsc snapshot at the
    time of the backup. This seems to be confirmed by the
    following article:

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y4A2225CA [Microsoft Site]

    The articles refers to Windows XP but we are talking about
    Windows 2003 server here.

    Moreover, the ntbackup utility defaults to using vsc
    backup regardless of that feature being expressly enabled
    on the volume.

    Can anybody confirm this ? thank you.

    Guest, Mar 29, 2005

  2. I think they mean, that you have to enabel vsc within the backup utility.
    Not the vsc of the volume for the previous versions.

    Daniel Knoblich, Apr 1, 2005