Volume on Philips Monitor

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Jun 6, 2012.

  1. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I have a Philips Monitor, a flat one. Model ID or 1D or lD (The I is just
    a plain line)
    190B8CB/75

    I'm watching TV programs on it while the TV is getting fixed.

    I've got the volume control down by the clock turned up full, but it's not
    very loud.
    And I turn the sound up on the TV programs themselves.

    Below in front there are a row of oblong buttons. There are six as well as
    the power one.
    I pressed the volume button and got a little bar on the screen which shows
    the volume as just over 60.

    Now I thought I could put the arrow on it and drag it along. But the arrow
    goes behind the bar instead of in front!

    I tried the Philips website on Google that answers questions, but it is all
    technical stuff and I can't find this problem.

    Is there a simple way to get the volume to move up please?

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Jun 6, 2012

  2. geo check the other buttons usally there will be a couple of buttons for the
    selection of option (contrast/brightness/ ect) and another 2 will be for
    shifting the selection up and down
    so press the button that got the volume bar up and then try some others (if
    the volume vanishes press it again) i think you will find that at some point
    you will see the bar go up or down.

    Hope this helps
    Robin

    Robin Halligan, Jun 6, 2012

  3. Geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Geo, what Robin said. Look for oblong buttons with + and - near them, get
    that volume bar on screen again, then press the + button while it's on
    screen.

    Best of luck!
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Jun 7, 2012
  4. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Geo, what Robin said. Look for oblong buttons with + and - near them, get
    > that volume bar on screen again, then press the + button while it's on
    > screen.
    >
    > Best of luck!
    > --
    > Shaun.
    >
    > "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    > cozy little classification in the DSM."
    > David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    >
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Robin Halligan wrote:
    >> geo check the other buttons usally there will be a couple of buttons
    >> for the selection of option (contrast/brightness/ ect) and another 2
    >> will be for shifting the selection up and down
    >> so press the button that got the volume bar up and then try some
    >> others (if the volume vanishes press it again) i think you will find
    >> that at some point you will see the bar go up or down.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps
    >> Robin
    >>

    >> "Geopelia" wrote in message news:jqnkse$ron$...
    >>
    >> I have a Philips Monitor, a flat one. Model ID or 1D or lD (The I
    >> is just a plain line)
    >> 190B8CB/75

    I tried pressing the oblong buttons, but now the screen is so bright it's
    hard to look at and I can't seem to get the brightness down. It made no
    difference to the sound.

    How do I get the brightness down again please?
    Geopelia, Jun 7, 2012
  5. On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 00:09:20 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Geo, what Robin said. Look for oblong buttons with + and - near them, get
    >> that volume bar on screen again, then press the + button while it's on
    >> screen.
    >>
    >> Best of luck!
    >> --
    >> Shaun.
    >>
    >> "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    >> cozy little classification in the DSM."
    >> David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    >>
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Robin Halligan wrote:
    >>> geo check the other buttons usally there will be a couple of buttons
    >>> for the selection of option (contrast/brightness/ ect) and another 2
    >>> will be for shifting the selection up and down
    >>> so press the button that got the volume bar up and then try some
    >>> others (if the volume vanishes press it again) i think you will find
    >>> that at some point you will see the bar go up or down.
    >>>
    >>> Hope this helps
    >>> Robin
    >>>

    >>> "Geopelia" wrote in message news:jqnkse$ron$...
    >>>
    >>> I have a Philips Monitor, a flat one. Model ID or 1D or lD (The I
    >>> is just a plain line)
    >>> 190B8CB/75
    >>>

    >I tried pressing the oblong buttons, but now the screen is so bright it's
    >hard to look at and I can't seem to get the brightness down. It made no
    >difference to the sound.
    >
    >How do I get the brightness down again please?

    Read the Manual...
    Frank Williams, Jun 7, 2012
  6. On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 00:09:20 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Geo, what Robin said. Look for oblong buttons with + and - near them, get
    >> that volume bar on screen again, then press the + button while it's on
    >> screen.
    >>
    >> Best of luck!
    >> --
    >> Shaun.
    >>
    >> "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    >> cozy little classification in the DSM."
    >> David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    >>
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Robin Halligan wrote:
    >>> geo check the other buttons usally there will be a couple of buttons
    >>> for the selection of option (contrast/brightness/ ect) and another 2
    >>> will be for shifting the selection up and down
    >>> so press the button that got the volume bar up and then try some
    >>> others (if the volume vanishes press it again) i think you will find
    >>> that at some point you will see the bar go up or down.
    >>>
    >>> Hope this helps
    >>> Robin
    >>>

    >>> "Geopelia" wrote in message news:jqnkse$ron$...
    >>>
    >>> I have a Philips Monitor, a flat one. Model ID or 1D or lD (The I
    >>> is just a plain line)
    >>> 190B8CB/75
    >>>

    >I tried pressing the oblong buttons, but now the screen is so bright it's
    >hard to look at and I can't seem to get the brightness down. It made no
    >difference to the sound.
    >
    >How do I get the brightness down again please?

    Link to Manual

    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpindex.pl?ctn=190B8CB/75&scy=&slg=ENG
    Frank Williams, Jun 7, 2012
  7. Geo you will find that the button you pressed to get up the "volume" is
    probably cyclic
    that means you press it once it comes up volume press it again it comes up
    brightness
    press it again and it comes up contrast each of these things should be
    labled on screen above or below the bare
    so just keep pressing the button till it says brightness (you should see the
    bar all the way over to the right)
    then press the other oblong button (if there is only one then press the
    other end of it )
    then when that is fine press the button to cycle to the next option if that
    is not volume then press it again till it is

    Hope that helps Geo

    Robin

    Robin Halligan, Jun 7, 2012
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 00:09:20 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >>> Geo, what Robin said. Look for oblong buttons with + and - near them,
    >>> get
    >>> that volume bar on screen again, then press the + button while it's on
    >>> screen.
    >>>
    >>> Best of luck!
    >>> --
    >>> Shaun.
    >>>
    >>> "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    >>> cozy little classification in the DSM."
    >>> David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    >>I tried pressing the oblong buttons, but now the screen is so bright it's
    >>hard to look at and I can't seem to get the brightness down. It made no
    >>difference to the sound.
    >>
    >>How do I get the brightness down again please?
    >>

    > Link to Manual
    >
    > http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpindex.pl?ctn=190B8CB/75&scy=&slg=ENG

    Thank you.

    I tried that website. There wasn't anything there "but there might be on
    Adobe website". So I tried that, "some components are missing" on adobe, but
    there might be a plug in. That isn't from Adobe and it seems that isn't
    available either.
    So I'm none the wiser. I managed to get the Brightness blue bar down to 49
    by pressing - but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

    There must be some simple way to reduce the Brightness. Sun glasses? :)
    Geopelia, Jun 7, 2012
  9. On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 10:45:30 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 00:09:20 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >>>I tried pressing the oblong buttons, but now the screen is so bright it's
    >>>hard to look at and I can't seem to get the brightness down. It made no
    >>>difference to the sound.
    >>>
    >>>How do I get the brightness down again please?
    >>>

    >> Link to Manual
    >>
    >> http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpindex.pl?ctn=190B8CB/75&scy=&slg=ENG

    >Thank you.
    >
    >I tried that website. There wasn't anything there "but there might be on
    >Adobe website". So I tried that, "some components are missing" on adobe, but
    >there might be a plug in. That isn't from Adobe and it seems that isn't
    >available either.
    >So I'm none the wiser. I managed to get the Brightness blue bar down to 49
    >by pressing - but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.
    >
    >There must be some simple way to reduce the Brightness. Sun glasses? :)

    Its on there as I just dnloaded it and I just tested it again now yes
    at first it has to load the Adobe Chinese character set, so just let it
    run, as the manual is multi language, Then Save it..
    Frank Williams, Jun 8, 2012
  10. Geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    > "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 00:09:20 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >>> I tried pressing the oblong buttons, but now the screen is so
    >>> bright it's hard to look at and I can't seem to get the brightness
    >>> down. It made no difference to the sound.
    >>>
    >>> How do I get the brightness down again please?
    >>>

    >> Link to Manual
    >>
    >> http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpindex.pl?ctn=190B8CB/75&scy=&slg=ENG

    > Thank you.
    >
    > I tried that website. There wasn't anything there "but there might be
    > on Adobe website". So I tried that, "some components are missing" on
    > adobe, but there might be a plug in. That isn't from Adobe and it
    > seems that isn't available either.
    > So I'm none the wiser. I managed to get the Brightness blue bar down
    > to 49 by pressing - but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.
    >
    > There must be some simple way to reduce the Brightness. Sun glasses?
    > :)

    Geo, download Foxit Reader and use that to read PDF files. It's small and
    fast, a lot better for your PC than Adobe Acrobat.

    The manual at that link downloaded just fine for me and opened with Foxit.
    Page 61 of the rather confusing document tells you what the buttons do (but
    not *exactly* how to use them, it assumes a certain level of knowledge (that
    said, I haven't read the whole thing, I have to go out).

    If you're still having trouble and nobody's helped you later when I check
    the group I'll see if I can give you a 'walk through' of how to adjust
    brightness and volume.

    Best,

    ~misfit~, Jun 8, 2012
  11. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Hello folks, I think I have fixed the volume at last! There are up and down
    arrows not + and -.
    I managed to get the volume up to about 90 and it nearly blew me off the
    chair when the Decorah eagles started screaming! *
    I wonder why it didn't work before, probably did something daft by mistake.

    So now I can just use the volume control by the clock.

    I think I'm getting the brightness down in the same way, but it's hard to
    tell. It doesn't seem quite as bright at around 40. Have to see how it looks
    in daylight.

    I wonder why they don't include using the buttons in the Quick Start Guide
    that came with the monitor. It shows what they are but not how to use them.
    But at least it's not in Chinese English like so many things these days.

    So thanks to you all for your help.

    Geopelia

    * If you want the Decorah Eagles live cam website here it is
    http://soaringcafe.com/2011/03/decorah-eagles-livecam/
    (American time of course).
    They should be leaving the nest any day now.
    Geopelia, Jun 8, 2012
  12. Geopelia

    > On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 10:45:30 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Frank Williams" <> wrote in message

    >>> Link to Manual
    >>>
    >>> http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpindex.pl?ctn=190B8CB/75&scy=&slg=ENG

    >>Thank you.
    >>
    >>I tried that website. There wasn't anything there "but there might be on
    >>Adobe website". So I tried that, "some components are missing" on adobe,
    >>but
    >>there might be a plug in. That isn't from Adobe and it seems that isn't
    >>available either.
    >>So I'm none the wiser. I managed to get the Brightness blue bar down to 49
    >>by pressing - but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.
    >>
    >>There must be some simple way to reduce the Brightness. Sun glasses? :)
    >>

    > Its on there as I just dnloaded it and I just tested it again now yes
    > at first it has to load the Adobe Chinese character set, so just let it
    > run, as the manual is multi language, Then Save it..

    I think the volume is fixed now, I've posted what I did.
    Adobe in Chinese would be a bit too much for me!

    I'll hang on to that link from the manual, the leaflet I got with the
    monitor isn't much help.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Jun 8, 2012
  13. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message

    >>> Link to Manual
    >>>
    >>> http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpindex.pl?ctn=190B8CB/75&scy=&slg=ENG

    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> I tried that website. There wasn't anything there "but there might be
    >> on Adobe website". So I tried that, "some components are missing" on
    >> adobe, but there might be a plug in. That isn't from Adobe and it
    >> seems that isn't available either.
    >> So I'm none the wiser. I managed to get the Brightness blue bar down
    >> to 49 by pressing - but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.
    >>
    >> There must be some simple way to reduce the Brightness. Sun glasses?
    >> :)

    > Geo, download Foxit Reader and use that to read PDF files. It's small and
    > fast, a lot better for your PC than Adobe Acrobat.
    >
    > The manual at that link downloaded just fine for me and opened with Foxit.
    > Page 61 of the rather confusing document tells you what the buttons do
    > (but not *exactly* how to use them, it assumes a certain level of
    > knowledge (that said, I haven't read the whole thing, I have to go out).
    >
    > If you're still having trouble and nobody's helped you later when I check
    > the group I'll see if I can give you a 'walk through' of how to adjust
    > brightness and volume.

    I seem to have fixed the volume now, and perhaps the brightness, I sent
    another post about it. As you say, the people who write the manuals assume
    everybody knows about computers etc, but some of us don't!
    I've had to learn as things crop up, with much appreciated help here.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Jun 8, 2012
  14. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Robin Halligan" <> wrote in message

    > Geo you will find that the button you pressed to get up the "volume" is
    > probably cyclic
    > that means you press it once it comes up volume press it again it comes up
    > brightness
    > press it again and it comes up contrast each of these things should be
    > labled on screen above or below the bare
    > so just keep pressing the button till it says brightness (you should see
    > the bar all the way over to the right)
    > then press the other oblong button (if there is only one then press the
    > other end of it )
    > then when that is fine press the button to cycle to the next option if
    > that is not volume then press it again till it is
    >
    > Hope that helps Geo
    >
    > Robin

    No, it has individual buttons for volume, brightness etc. I seem to have
    fixed it now for volume, and I think I'll be able to get the brightness down
    in the same way.

    Thanks for your help.
    I don't know how that email address got there, it certainly isn't mine!

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jun 8, 2012
  15. On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 00:57:44 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 10:45:30 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Frank Williams" <> wrote in message

    >>>Thank you.
    >>>
    >>>I tried that website. There wasn't anything there "but there might be on
    >>>Adobe website". So I tried that, "some components are missing" on adobe,
    >>>but
    >>>there might be a plug in. That isn't from Adobe and it seems that isn't
    >>>available either.
    >>>So I'm none the wiser. I managed to get the Brightness blue bar down to 49
    >>>by pressing - but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.
    >>>
    >>>There must be some simple way to reduce the Brightness. Sun glasses? :)
    >>>

    >> Its on there as I just dnloaded it and I just tested it again now yes
    >> at first it has to load the Adobe Chinese character set, so just let it
    >> run, as the manual is multi language, Then Save it..
    >>

    >I think the volume is fixed now, I've posted what I did.
    >Adobe in Chinese would be a bit too much for me!

    ITS NOT IN CHINESE IT PARTS OF THE MANUA L ARE IN CHINEES, YOUR
    COMPUTER MUST HAVE THE ADOBE CHINESE CHARACTER SET SO YOU CA SEE AND
    PRINT THE MANUAL.

    >I'll hang on to that link from the manual, the leaflet I got with the
    >monitor isn't much help.

    JUST DOWNLOAD THE MANUAL FULL STOP.

    Frank Williams, Jun 9, 2012
  16. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-06-08, Geopelia <> wrote:
    > Hello folks, I think I have fixed the volume at last! There are up and down
    > arrows not + and -.

    You need to think outside the box Geo. The English lanuage has lots of words
    for many things. Good to see that you have passed that test.

    > I managed to get the volume up to about 90 and it nearly blew me off the
    > chair when the Decorah eagles started screaming! *
    > I wonder why it didn't work before, probably did something daft by mistake.
    >
    > So now I can just use the volume control by the clock.
    >
    > I think I'm getting the brightness down in the same way, but it's hard to
    > tell. It doesn't seem quite as bright at around 40. Have to see how it looks
    > in daylight.

    It should work the same way as the sound.

    > I wonder why they don't include using the buttons in the Quick Start Guide
    > that came with the monitor.

    Hint, because people want to plug and play *now*. Who wants to Read The Fine
    Manual?

    > It shows what they are but not how to use them.
    > But at least it's not in Chinese English like so many things these days.

    Heck, a co-worker, who is not all that old, uses the same phase.

    > * If you want the Decorah Eagles live cam website here it is
    > http://soaringcafe.com/2011/03/decorah-eagles-livecam/
    > (American time of course).
    > They should be leaving the nest any day now.

    Oh so they are birds, not musicians.
    Gordon, Jun 9, 2012
  17. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On 2012-06-08, Geopelia <> wrote:
    >> Hello folks, I think I have fixed the volume at last! There are up and
    >> down
    >> arrows not + and -.

    > You need to think outside the box Geo. The English lanuage has lots of
    > words
    > for many things. Good to see that you have passed that test.
    >

    >> I managed to get the volume up to about 90 and it nearly blew me off the
    >> chair when the Decorah eagles started screaming! *
    >> I wonder why it didn't work before, probably did something daft by
    >> mistake.
    >>
    >> So now I can just use the volume control by the clock.
    >>
    >> I think I'm getting the brightness down in the same way, but it's hard to
    >> tell. It doesn't seem quite as bright at around 40. Have to see how it
    >> looks
    >> in daylight.

    > It should work the same way as the sound.

    Yes, I tried that.

    >> I wonder why they don't include using the buttons in the Quick Start
    >> Guide
    >> that came with the monitor.

    > Hint, because people want to plug and play *now*. Who wants to Read The
    > Fine
    > Manual?

    Hubby won't read the instructions for assembling things. He leaves it to me
    to explain them.
    But he won't even touch the computer. I send his emails.

    >> It shows what they are but not how to use them.
    >> But at least it's not in Chinese English like so many things these days.

    > Heck, a co-worker, who is not all that old, uses the same phase.

    I used to have a Japanese Honda bike. The instructions said "Avoid over
    puffing".
    No, it didn't have a steam engine!

    >> * If you want the Decorah Eagles live cam website here it is
    >> http://soaringcafe.com/2011/03/decorah-eagles-livecam/
    >> (American time of course).
    >> They should be leaving the nest any day now.
    >>

    > Oh so they are birds, not musicians.

    I expect there is a pop group with the same name, with so many around these
    days.
    They scream like a bunch of teenage girls.

    They are American Bald Eagles. Gorgeous birds. They were tearing up a
    raccoon the other day, looked like somebody's cat! Decorah is where they
    live.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Jun 9, 2012
  18. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Tony" <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote in message
    > Frank Williams <> wrote:
    >>On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 00:57:44 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Frank Williams" <> wrote in message

    >>>I think the volume is fixed now, I've posted what I did.
    >>>Adobe in Chinese would be a bit too much for me!

    >>ITS NOT IN CHINESE IT PARTS OF THE MANUA L ARE IN CHINEES, YOUR
    >>COMPUTER MUST HAVE THE ADOBE CHINESE CHARACTER SET SO YOU CA SEE AND
    >>PRINT THE MANUAL.
    >>

    >>>I'll hang on to that link from the manual, the leaflet I got with the
    >>>monitor isn't much help.

    >>JUST DOWNLOAD THE MANUAL FULL STOP.

    > Your empathy with other people is only exceeded by your inability to use
    > the
    > English language in an understandable way, the bad advice you often give
    > here
    > and your entirely misplaced conviction that you are always right. Get a
    > life!
    >

    >>>Thank you
    >>>Geopelia
    >>>

    > Tony

    I don't know if this computer has Chinese language, all Asian language spam
    comes in looking like Greek characters.

    I think I have fixed the problem now.
    Thanks to all

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Jun 9, 2012
  19. On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 02:28:07 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
    dot nz> wrote:

    >Frank Williams <> wrote:
    >>On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 00:57:44 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Frank Williams" <> wrote in message

    >>>I think the volume is fixed now, I've posted what I did.
    >>>Adobe in Chinese would be a bit too much for me!

    >>ITS NOT IN CHINESE IT PARTS OF THE MANUA L ARE IN CHINEES, YOUR
    >>COMPUTER MUST HAVE THE ADOBE CHINESE CHARACTER SET SO YOU CA SEE AND
    >>PRINT THE MANUAL.
    >>

    >>>I'll hang on to that link from the manual, the leaflet I got with the
    >>>monitor isn't much help.

    >>JUST DOWNLOAD THE MANUAL FULL STOP.

    >Your empathy with other people is only exceeded by your inability to use the
    >English language in an understandable way, the bad advice you often give here
    >and your entirely misplaced conviction that you are always right. Get a life!

    >Tony

    So you think you are more right that me Bollocks, if you looks at the
    history here trying to deal with this Person ? this person is Impossible
    and should stay with her ? Knitting..

    MY FACTS ARE 1000% CORRECT, TRY AND PROVE THAT THEY ARE NOT THEN
    APLOGISE TO ME.
    Frank Williams, Jun 10, 2012
  20. Geopelia

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >>"Tony" <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote in message

    >>> Your empathy with other people is only exceeded by your inability to use
    >>> the
    >>> English language in an understandable way, the bad advice you often give
    >>> here
    >>> and your entirely misplaced conviction that you are always right. Get a
    >>> life!

    >>> Tony
    >>>

    >>I don't know if this computer has Chinese language, all Asian language
    >>spam
    >>comes in looking like Greek characters.
    >>
    >>I think I have fixed the problem now.
    >>Thanks to all
    >>
    >>Geopelia

    > Delighted to hear it Geo. My comments were not aimed at you by the way.
    > Tony

    Thank you, that's nice to know!
    I'm well aware how ignorant I am where computers are concerned.
    Geopelia, Jun 10, 2012