    media player (I have Windows and Real Player)and I keep having to access
    the setting to put the level up from zero (no sound). Is this some
    automatic thing my XP is doing?

    Steven Chipman, Oct 5, 2005

  2. Steven Chipman

    Silvabod Guest

    Steven, media players have their own specific volume controls, which in most
    cases "mutes" the system volume control (to avoid conflicts between "system"
    and "application" drivers).
    To avoid the problem, stick with ONE media player. If you must use two (or
    more) then you are stuck with the problem, since the "system" volume gets
    muted on start-up of the player application, but NOT restored when it
    closes.
    Can be annoying! (It's remembering this fact that's the real problem -
    solution is 2 mouse-clicks to restore, as you know).
    Silvabod.

    Silvabod, Oct 5, 2005