    program to install and I haven't been able to find one.

    Anybody has a clue where I might find it.

    Thanks,
    jss27560, Aug 19, 2008

  2. Hi,
    are you sure about the hardware is installed correctly ?
    sound enabled in bios, driver installed ?
    jk
    Juergen Kluth, Aug 19, 2008

  3. jss27560

    Bogey Man Guest

    I would be surprised if the Relate drivers didn't supply better control than
    the built in drivers or the drivers from Microsoft. I would give them a try.

    Ron

    Bogey Man, Aug 21, 2008
  4. jss27560

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Ron.

    Well, I tried to get the drivers from Realtek last night, but their website
    (www.realtek.com) is inscrutable - to me, at least. So I Googled for them
    and came up with several sites that offer the drivers, apparently for a fee!
    I tried one, which was a friendly as could be until I asked for the
    download, when it presented its EULA - and there was a paragraph there about
    paying their invoice! :>( I aborted, then tried again and got the same
    EULA. They hadn't asked for a credit card yet, so I continued and
    downloaded their DriverDetective.exe, which ran until it got to the point of
    downloading the drivers. Then it wanted $29.95! So I bailed out again. It
    was my bedtime, so I never did get the drivers.

    Then I went to Belarc, which I've often seen praised in newsgroups, and
    downloaded their Advisor and ran it. It told me a lot about my computer,
    but didn't offer drivers. Under Multimedia, it listed the same 3 devices as
    Device Manager:

    Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC Combo
    High Definition Audio Device
    Pinnacle PCTV 800e

    So I went back to the CD-ROM than came with my EPoX motherboard in December
    2006 and found the Realtek drivers, including the one that I seem to need:
    WDM_A392.exe, but that is dated 9/21/06, before Vista even went RTM. When I
    tried to install that, it apparently hung my computer; I'm guessing it's for
    WinXP - or maybe for 32-bit.

    Anyhow, as I said, my computer has been working fine without those drivers
    for nearly two years. The only thing I'm apparently missing is that little
    icon that looks like a lobster with claws upraised but really is a Maestro
    conducting an orchestra. I can live without that, so I'm done fiddling with
    this - for now. I have seen that and the several Realtek utility screens,
    but maybe it was when I was running WinXP.

    Maybe I'll revisit the topic when I have more time. Thanks for your help.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Aug 21, 2008
  5. jss27560

    Carlos Guest

    R.C.,
    Search for "carlos realtek" in this forum and you will find links for the
    two possible realtek chipsets: AC97 and HD Audio.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 21, 2008
  6. For Realtek AC97 codec drivers start at
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=23&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

    For Realtek HD codec drivers
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

    Dominic Payer, Aug 21, 2008
  7. I only spotted this thread now - to get back to the original post, isn't
    that icon ticked off in the 'Mixer' (or, Volume Control) applet? I'm sure
    that's where I set mine, even though it's been a while.

    I just turned off that machine - here on the Win2K machine it's in the
    'Sounds and Multimedia' applet. It is not generally available through the
    drivers or managers, I don't think.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 22, 2008
  8. jss27560

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Dominic - and Carlos.

    Eureka! I have found it! But only after much frustration at the Realtek
    site!

    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

    Once I arrived at the pages that you guys gave me, I tried various searches
    (alc8, alc885, WDM_392...), but they took me around in circles. Finally I
    searched for "Vista" and got the page above. The top offering on that page
    is "Vista Driver (32/64 bits) Driver only (ZIP file) R2.02 2008/8/18
    23008k". Bingo! Their link from Taiwan must go by way of Beijing or
    somewhere because it took about a half-hour on my cable broadband, but I
    finally got the file, Vista_R202.zip. This evening I ran it and it seems to
    be working.

    Yes, I now have the Realtek HD Audio Manager in the Notification Area. When
    I right-click it, I get several options including Sound Manager. Device
    Manager now says "Realtek High Definition Audio", from Realtek, driver
    version 6.0.1.5683, dated 8/12/2008. I've even got the "lobster" icon back!
    ;<}

    I hope the op is still reading along and can get some benefit from all this.

    Since I've already admitted that I'm not an audiophile, I'm not sure it was
    worth all that trouble, but I'm glad to be up to date. Thanks, Guys!

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Aug 22, 2008
  9. jss27560

    gareth Guest

    don't know

    gareth, Nov 30, 2008
  10. You are way over a day late and a dollar short!

    This thread was declared DEAD a long time ago.

    Bobby Johnson, Nov 30, 2008
  11. jss27560

    j allen 3 Guest

    Compaq Armada E500

    j allen 3, Dec 16, 2008
  12. Go to:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...ypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=96231&lang=en&cc=us
    select you operating system and download the Audio driver.

    Next find the Windows XP Pro/Home forum. This forum is for
    64-bit Windows.

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 19, 2008
  13. jss27560

    Acqeel Guest

    I downloaded the hd codec drivers for vista7.zip from Realtek. When I clicked
    install it said that no drivers were supported in the pakage.
    What do I do now???

    Acqeel, Jun 8, 2009
  14. This thread is from August 2008 and is no longer relevant.

    If the package could not identify your hardware as supported, you may
    need the AC97 package or have some other maker's sound chip.

    Dominic Payer, Jun 8, 2009
  15. jss27560

    nmk Guest

    nmk, Jul 5, 2009
  16. I'm having same problem....please help!

    tnridgerunner7, Sep 22, 2009
  17. jss27560

    ka9ine Guest

    I too have this problem. please allow me to explain what i have read but have
    yet to accomplish; you need your windows xp install disc. ya need to search
    disc and find D:\windows\i386\system32\sndvol32.exe then export sndvol32.exe
    to your hard drive at this location C:\windows\system32 replacing of course
    the drive letters c and d if yours are different.

    ka9ine, Oct 11, 2009