    Smith external enclosure. During a move I got all the transformers mixed
    up and now I do not know whether this requires 12 volts or 16 volts.
    Any ideas?

    Roger Dewhurst, Aug 4, 2010

  2. "Roger Dewhurst" <> wrote in message
    news:i3ahq8$tj3$...
    >I have an external hard drive, taken from an older computer, in a Dick
    >Smith external enclosure. During a move I got all the transformers mixed up
    >and now I do not know whether this requires 12 volts or 16 volts. Any
    >ideas?

    HDDs all take the same voltage. If the power plug fits, it supplies the
    needed voltage.
    Jeff Strickland, Aug 4, 2010

  3. Roger Dewhurst

    Paul Guest

    Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    > I have an external hard drive, taken from an older computer, in a Dick
    > Smith external enclosure. During a move I got all the transformers mixed
    > up and now I do not know whether this requires 12 volts or 16 volts.
    > Any ideas?

    Does the enclosure have any model number information on it ?

    Do the power adapters have any information printed on them ?

    Does Googling those bits of info, turn up any additional info ?

    In terms of connecting the adapters, I'd be less concerned
    about trying the 12V adapter first. Working off 12V DC is
    a natural for a 3.5" hard drive, since that is the voltage used
    by the motor and motor drive circuitry. The adapter board
    in the enclosure, may have a regulator, for converting the
    incoming 12VDC into 5VDC, to make the 5 volts the controller
    board needs on the drive. So using 12V to do the job, saves
    on adding an extra regulator.

    120AC ---- adapter ---- 12VDC ----------------> yellow wire
    ---- 5VDC reg --> red wire
    plus two GND wire

    If the thing used 16V, then internally it would need to
    convert 16V to 12V and 16V to 5V, which is a wasteful way to
    do it.

    120AC ---- adapter ---- 16VDC ---- 12VDC reg --> yellow wire
    ---- 5VDC reg --> red wire
    plus two GND wire

    In terms of risk, plugging the 12V one is less risky, than
    plugging the 16V one. If you were to plug the 16VDC adapter
    into an enclosure with the powering scheme shown in the first
    drawing, the poor disk drive gets 16V on its 12V input, and
    is burned beyond recognition :-( So take care...

    If it was my enclosure, I'd have to open it up, and analyze
    the adapter board in the back of the enclosure carefully.
    Unless the voltage is printed in the exterior plastic of the enclosure,
    near the barrel connector, it may not be possible from the
    outside, to tell what it uses.

    I have a Firewire enclosure, and it has a four pin power connector
    running from the adapter. So in that case, the manufacturer was
    comfortable with the additional expensive of doing the regulating
    inside the wall adapter itself. There are plenty of different ways of
    doing the job.

    Smaller (2.5") hard drives are easier, because they only run from
    5VDC, and have more modest power requirements.

    Paul
    Paul, Aug 4, 2010