Voltage Regulator?????

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ralph D., Nov 9, 2003.

  1. Ralph D.

    Ralph D. Guest

    Hello,

    I am dealing with a DFI K6BV3+ with a K6-2+ 450 @ 500. 2 sticks 128M SDRAM,
    Maxtor 40G that passes the 4.06 tests.

    This board doesn't do much work around here anymore (mostly the kid's
    machine), but it used to take a thumping for a couple of years when it was
    my box and ran clocked at 600 24/7.

    Some time ago it started seeing some odd freezes in 98SE. I assumed it was
    the PS as you can hear a gentle 'plink' just as it happens (with the case
    off) and has happened simultaneous with (but not always with) a warning from
    Genesys SysMon that my 12 V was over.

    This thing consistently ran the 12V at 12.91 for the last while, even though
    it used to run at a few hundredths under 12 when it was the workhorse (the
    alarm defaults at 13.20).

    I replaced the PS with a 400W Powmax with overcurrent protection and
    reloaded Windows as the last freeze hammered some files, only to have a
    freeze again in 24 hrs followed by alarms and voltages at 13.28.

    Q: What is the Normal voltage coming off the 12V rail on this board?

    Q: How high is too high for safety's sake?

    Q: Is this the Voltage regulator on the MB giving up? (it just seems that
    two very different supplies should not be giving the same high numbers)

    Thanks

    Ralph D., Nov 9, 2003