    everything again and swapping it out? Seagate told me to replace the hard
    drive but I was saving that as a last resort. Any help would be
    appreciated.

    madjack, Dec 14, 2004

  2. madjack

    Jerry G. Guest

    This can be either the hard drive or the power supply.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    "madjack" <> wrote in message
    My new computer has a voltage drop problem. I have a 420W power supply, a
    Pentium 4 3,0Ghz processor, an Abit VT7 motherboard, use XP professional,
    and have a Seagate 160GB hard drive. When I run my most demanding programs
    and monitor the system info program that came with the motherboard it shows
    the 12volt monitor dropping and if it drops low enough, usually around 9.3
    it locks up everything. I contacted Seagate and they had me disconnect
    power to everything (fans,floppy, and DVD drives) but the hard drive and it
    still did the same thing losing power. Other than a bad hard drive what
    could be the problem and how would you check it without having to purchase

    Jerry G., Dec 14, 2004

  3. madjack

    Plato Guest

    madjack wrote:

    Well, you did the right thing by disconnecting everything else to ID the
    problem. As Jerry said you're really down to PS or HDD now. What I find
    quite interesting is that Seagate actually had a "script" for that sort
    of thing for their "phone techs" to follow and ask you to do. This leads
    me to believe they are aware of the problem on that model drive but of
    course, they will never admit it publically much less on the telephone.

    I remember way, way back when WD put out a bad 1.6 gig drive. Every 1.6
    gig drive made during that certain month would fail between 30 and 90
    days after installing it. So, for the next 4 months we had to replace
    every single 1.6 we put in out new systems. Every time we'd call WD for
    the return authorization they'd try to walk us through the same steps
    before they gave us the return #. This got really annoying.

    Plato, Dec 14, 2004
  4. madjack

    madjack Guest

    Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:41bf211d$0$90473$:

    > madjack wrote:
    >>

    > Well, you did the right thing by disconnecting everything else to ID
    > the problem. As Jerry said you're really down to PS or HDD now. What I
    > find quite interesting is that Seagate actually had a "script" for
    > that sort of thing for their "phone techs" to follow and ask you to
    > do. This leads me to believe they are aware of the problem on that
    > model drive but of course, they will never admit it publically much
    > less on the telephone.

    Thank you both for the help. I will try swapping out each of them one at a
    time until I see which it was. I am just glad it should be one of the two
    and not something like the motherboard.

    madjack, Dec 15, 2004