Vol control and wav files missing

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bill Schowengerdt, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. Win 98 SE.

    A friend who actually know less about computers than I do, is having
    problems with his computer. (400 mhz AMD) He is not sure when the problem
    started but now it does not play normal Windows sounds.

    However, it will play audio CDs. but when he puts a CD in, WMP opens and
    gives a failure message. (perhaps it says path not found.) but if he then
    clicks on play, it does. ITOH.. he said something about not thinking that
    WMP was doing the playing.?? I do not know why he thinks this. (We are
    communicating via email and phone.)

    At any rate..... A search for *.wav only found two files. Search for
    volume finds only a shortcut to volume control. Clicking on the shortcut
    does nothing. The volume icon has disappeared from systray.

    I had him put a volume shortcut on desktop and it's properties show the
    correct target but the target file seems to be missing.

    So.... I told him to reinstall win 98 and let me know how it goes. BTW...
    I told him that if he reinstalled over the existing win, his settings
    will be retained.

    However, he now tells me that the Win CD says that NAV and bios AV
    prevent reinstall. So.. he disabled NAV in msconfig but cannot find any
    AV setting in the bios setup.

    Therefore... he still cannot reinstall.

    If this is the needed approach, I will work with him to find the info on
    his bios. At this point he does not know. He only knows that it is an AMD
    processor.

    As I said, he does not know when the problem started, but it might have
    been when he updated media player to ver 9.

    Oh yeah... Not surprisingly... in control panel/sounds... none of the
    previews play anything.

    Questions... What do you think happened?(thus to prevent it from
    re-occurring) Do you think reinstall is necessary? Will it fix the
    problem? If reinstalling does not fix it, then suggestions?

    Is WMP ver 9 even usable on that slow of a machine?

    TIA
    Bill Schowengerdt, Sep 29, 2003

  2. Bill Schowengerdt

    Smoker Guest

    "Bill Schowengerdt" <> wrote in message
    > Win 98 SE.
    >
    > A friend who actually know less about computers than I do, is having
    > problems with his computer. (400 mhz AMD) He is not sure when the problem
    > started but now it does not play normal Windows sounds.
    >
    > However, it will play audio CDs. but when he puts a CD in, WMP opens and
    > gives a failure message. (perhaps it says path not found.) but if he then
    > clicks on play, it does. ITOH.. he said something about not thinking that
    > WMP was doing the playing.?? I do not know why he thinks this. (We are
    > communicating via email and phone.)
    >
    > At any rate..... A search for *.wav only found two files. Search for
    > volume finds only a shortcut to volume control. Clicking on the shortcut
    > does nothing. The volume icon has disappeared from systray.
    >
    > I had him put a volume shortcut on desktop and it's properties show the
    > correct target but the target file seems to be missing.
    >
    > So.... I told him to reinstall win 98 and let me know how it goes. BTW...
    > I told him that if he reinstalled over the existing win, his settings
    > will be retained.
    >
    > However, he now tells me that the Win CD says that NAV and bios AV
    > prevent reinstall. So.. he disabled NAV in msconfig but cannot find any
    > AV setting in the bios setup.
    >
    > Therefore... he still cannot reinstall.
    >
    > If this is the needed approach, I will work with him to find the info on
    > his bios. At this point he does not know. He only knows that it is an AMD
    > processor.
    >
    > As I said, he does not know when the problem started, but it might have
    > been when he updated media player to ver 9.
    >
    > Oh yeah... Not surprisingly... in control panel/sounds... none of the
    > previews play anything.
    >
    > Questions... What do you think happened?(thus to prevent it from
    > re-occurring) Do you think reinstall is necessary? Will it fix the
    > problem? If reinstalling does not fix it, then suggestions?
    >
    > Is WMP ver 9 even usable on that slow of a machine?
    >
    > TIA

    ---
    Download and install Irfanview www.irfanview.com
    It's free and easy enough for a moron to use. It will play and let you view
    almost any graphic or music file without any b.s. Get rid of WMP 9.
    Remove the sound card in Device Manager (as well as anything else M$ may
    have put in that section) and reboot to let Windows redetect and install the
    card again.
    Smoker, Sep 29, 2003

  3. On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 03:47:06 GMT, In the heat of the moment, "Smoker"
    <> posted:
    ..

    >"Bill Schowengerdt" <> wrote in message
    >> Win 98 SE.
    >>
    >> A friend who actually know less about computers than I do, is having
    >> problems with his computer. (400 mhz AMD) He is not sure when the problem
    >> started but now it does not play normal Windows sounds.
    >>
    >> However, it will play audio CDs. but when he puts a CD in, WMP opens and
    >> gives a failure message. (perhaps it says path not found.) but if he then
    >> clicks on play, it does. ITOH.. he said something about not thinking that
    >> WMP was doing the playing.?? I do not know why he thinks this. (We are
    >> communicating via email and phone.)
    >>
    >> At any rate..... A search for *.wav only found two files. Search for
    >> volume finds only a shortcut to volume control. Clicking on the shortcut
    >> does nothing. The volume icon has disappeared from systray.
    >>
    >> I had him put a volume shortcut on desktop and it's properties show the
    >> correct target but the target file seems to be missing.
    >>
    >> So.... I told him to reinstall win 98 and let me know how it goes. BTW...
    >> I told him that if he reinstalled over the existing win, his settings
    >> will be retained.
    >>
    >> However, he now tells me that the Win CD says that NAV and bios AV
    >> prevent reinstall. So.. he disabled NAV in msconfig but cannot find any
    >> AV setting in the bios setup.
    >>
    >> Therefore... he still cannot reinstall.
    >>
    >> If this is the needed approach, I will work with him to find the info on
    >> his bios. At this point he does not know. He only knows that it is an AMD
    >> processor.
    >>
    >> As I said, he does not know when the problem started, but it might have
    >> been when he updated media player to ver 9.
    >>
    >> Oh yeah... Not surprisingly... in control panel/sounds... none of the
    >> previews play anything.
    >>
    >> Questions... What do you think happened?(thus to prevent it from
    >> re-occurring) Do you think reinstall is necessary? Will it fix the
    >> problem? If reinstalling does not fix it, then suggestions?
    >>
    >> Is WMP ver 9 even usable on that slow of a machine?
    >>
    >> TIA

    >---
    >Download and install Irfanview www.irfanview.com
    >It's free and easy enough for a moron to use. It will play and let you view
    >almost any graphic or music file without any b.s. Get rid of WMP 9.
    >Remove the sound card in Device Manager (as well as anything else M$ may
    >have put in that section) and reboot to let Windows redetect and install the
    >card again.

    And all the wav files are... where??
    Bill Schowengerdt, Sep 29, 2003
  4. Bill Schowengerdt

    trout Guest

    Bill Schowengerdt wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 03:47:06 GMT, In the heat of the moment, "Smoker"
    > <> posted:
    > .
    >>
    >> "Bill Schowengerdt" <> wrote in message
    >>> Win 98 SE.
    >>>
    >>> A friend who actually know less about computers than I do, is having
    >>> problems with his computer. (400 mhz AMD) He is not sure when the
    >>> problem started but now it does not play normal Windows sounds.
    >>>
    >>> However, it will play audio CDs. but when he puts a CD in, WMP
    >>> opens and gives a failure message. (perhaps it says path not
    >>> found.) but if he then clicks on play, it does. ITOH.. he said
    >>> something about not thinking that WMP was doing the playing.?? I do
    >>> not know why he thinks this. (We are communicating via email and
    >>> phone.)
    >>>
    >>> At any rate..... A search for *.wav only found two files. Search for
    >>> volume finds only a shortcut to volume control. Clicking on the
    >>> shortcut does nothing. The volume icon has disappeared from systray.
    >>>
    >>> I had him put a volume shortcut on desktop and it's properties show
    >>> the correct target but the target file seems to be missing.
    >>>
    >>> So.... I told him to reinstall win 98 and let me know how it goes.
    >>> BTW... I told him that if he reinstalled over the existing win, his
    >>> settings will be retained.
    >>>
    >>> However, he now tells me that the Win CD says that NAV and bios AV
    >>> prevent reinstall. So.. he disabled NAV in msconfig but cannot find
    >>> any AV setting in the bios setup.
    >>>
    >>> Therefore... he still cannot reinstall.
    >>>
    >>> If this is the needed approach, I will work with him to find the
    >>> info on his bios. At this point he does not know. He only knows
    >>> that it is an AMD processor.
    >>>
    >>> As I said, he does not know when the problem started, but it might
    >>> have been when he updated media player to ver 9.
    >>>
    >>> Oh yeah... Not surprisingly... in control panel/sounds... none of
    >>> the previews play anything.
    >>>
    >>> Questions... What do you think happened?(thus to prevent it from
    >>> re-occurring) Do you think reinstall is necessary? Will it fix the
    >>> problem? If reinstalling does not fix it, then suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Is WMP ver 9 even usable on that slow of a machine?
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> ---
    >> Download and install Irfanview www.irfanview.com
    >> It's free and easy enough for a moron to use. It will play and let
    >> you view almost any graphic or music file without any b.s. Get rid
    >> of WMP 9.
    >> Remove the sound card in Device Manager (as well as anything else M$
    >> may have put in that section) and reboot to let Windows redetect and
    >> install the card again.

    > And all the wav files are... where??

    Should be in C\Windows\Media. Look in Sounds, in the Control Panel;
    it should give the path to System sounds for each, as it is highlighted.
    While in the Control Panel; look at Multimedia. Check that the
    "preferred playback" device isn't something weird, and that there's a
    check to show volume control in the systray.
    Look in Folder Options in Windows Explorer (or, from Start Menu;
    Settings). Under View; Hidden files; make sure that "show all files" is
    selected. Check under File Types and look at the properties for Wave
    Sound. Make sure the default file extension is ".wav", and the preferred
    player is used.
    (My guess is that WMP9 was just allowed to hijack all sound files on
    installation, and renamed the extensions in the process.)
    --
    "A few things to look at."
    trout, Sep 29, 2003