    --

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Oct 16, 2006

  2. Dave Saville

    alexd Guest

    Dave Saville wrote:

    > One of my outgoing VOIP lines is through Voiptalk. At least half the time
    > I dial I will get unobtainable or engaged but If I immediately try the BT
    > land line it will ring straight away.

    A bit of clarification is called for here - try what on the BT line? Calling
    out to your Voiptalk line from the BT line, or calling in to your BT line
    from the Voiptalk line? "it will ring"? What is "it"? Is it ringing tone
    heard in the the receiver? The phone plugged into the line? Both? Neither?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    19:35:05 up 5 days, 23:15, 5 users, load average: 0.42, 0.69, 0.95

    alexd, Oct 16, 2006

  3. Dave Saville

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "alexd" <> wrote in message
    > Dave Saville wrote:
    >
    > > One of my outgoing VOIP lines is through Voiptalk. At
    > > least half the time I dial I will get unobtainable or
    > > engaged but If I immediately try the BT land line it
    > > will ring straight away.

    > A bit of clarification is called for here - try what on
    > the BT line? Calling out to your Voiptalk line from the
    > BT line, or calling in to your BT line from the Voiptalk
    > line? "it will ring"? What is "it"? Is it ringing tone
    > heard in the the receiver? The phone plugged into the
    > line? Both? Neither?

    I tihnk he means if he dials a number from Voiptalk the call doesn't
    connect but if he calls it on BT it does.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 16, 2006
  4. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 20:03:58 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

    >"alexd" <> wrote in message
    >> Dave Saville wrote:
    >>
    >> > One of my outgoing VOIP lines is through Voiptalk. At
    >> > least half the time I dial I will get unobtainable or
    >> > engaged but If I immediately try the BT land line it
    >> > will ring straight away.

    >> A bit of clarification is called for here - try what on
    >> the BT line? Calling out to your Voiptalk line from the
    >> BT line, or calling in to your BT line from the Voiptalk
    >> line? "it will ring"? What is "it"? Is it ringing tone
    >> heard in the the receiver? The phone plugged into the
    >> line? Both? Neither?

    >I tihnk he means if he dials a number from Voiptalk the call doesn't
    >connect but if he calls it on BT it does.

    Correct.

    --

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Oct 17, 2006
  5. Dave Saville

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Dave Saville" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 20:03:58 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    > > "alexd" <> wrote in message

    > > > A bit of clarification is called for here - try what
    > > > on the BT line? Calling out to your Voiptalk line
    > > > from the BT line, or calling in to your BT line from
    > > > the Voiptalk line? "it will ring"? What is "it"? Is
    > > > it ringing tone heard in the the receiver? The phone
    > > > plugged into the line? Both? Neither?

    > > I tihnk he means if he dials a number from Voiptalk the
    > > call doesn't connect but if he calls it on BT it does.

    > Correct.

    Ok, but a little more info is still called for. What numbers give this
    result..? Just a few, or all of them..? Is it happening all the time or
    only sometimes..? I know of a case where someone was trying to dial a
    freephone number but it wouldn't connect via a VoIP provider but would via
    BT. I eventually found out that it was an *international* freephone 00800
    number, which aren't supported on that provider's system, which would
    account for it.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 17, 2006
  6. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 11:55:01 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

    >"Dave Saville" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 20:03:58 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >>
    >> > "alexd" <> wrote in message

    >> > I tihnk he means if he dials a number from Voiptalk the
    >> > call doesn't connect but if he calls it on BT it does.

    >> Correct.

    >Ok, but a little more info is still called for. What numbers give this
    >result..? Just a few, or all of them..? Is it happening all the time or
    >only sometimes..? I know of a case where someone was trying to dial a
    >freephone number but it wouldn't connect via a VoIP provider but would via
    >BT. I eventually found out that it was an *international* freephone 00800
    >number, which aren't supported on that provider's system, which would
    >account for it.

    Mostly bog standard BT land line numbers and at a guess more than half the
    time. Time of day does not seem to matter. Constantly get engaged with VOIP,
    but my BT land line rings the destination at once. Could it be that all of
    Voiptalk's outgoing lines to BT are busy?

    --

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Oct 18, 2006
  7. Dave Saville

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Dave Saville" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Mostly bog standard BT land line numbers and at a guess
    > more than half the time. Time of day does not seem to
    > matter. Constantly get engaged with VOIP, but my BT land
    > line rings the destination at once. Could it be that all
    > of Voiptalk's outgoing lines to BT are busy?

    Doubtful. Do you get the same results consistently with the same
    numbers..? i.e. is 01234 567890 *always* engaged on VoIP and *always* ok
    on BT or doesn't it matter..?

    What equipment are you using..? Softphone or ATA..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 18, 2006
  8. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:43:16 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

    >"Dave Saville" <> wrote in message
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >> Mostly bog standard BT land line numbers and at a guess
    >> more than half the time. Time of day does not seem to
    >> matter. Constantly get engaged with VOIP, but my BT land
    >> line rings the destination at once. Could it be that all
    >> of Voiptalk's outgoing lines to BT are busy?

    >Doubtful. Do you get the same results consistently with the same
    >numbers..? i.e. is 01234 567890 *always* engaged on VoIP and *always* ok
    >on BT or doesn't it matter..?

    That I don't know - more research needed :)

    >What equipment are you using..? Softphone or ATA..?

    Zyxel 2002 on dedicated "real" IP.

    --

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Oct 19, 2006
  9. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:48:23 +0100 (BST), Dave Saville wrote:

    >On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 11:55:01 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >

    >>"Dave Saville" <> wrote in message

    >>> Correct.

    >>Ok, but a little more info is still called for. What numbers give this
    >>result..? Just a few, or all of them..? Is it happening all the time or
    >>only sometimes..? I know of a case where someone was trying to dial a
    >>freephone number but it wouldn't connect via a VoIP provider but would via
    >>BT. I eventually found out that it was an *international* freephone 00800
    >>number, which aren't supported on that provider's system, which would
    >>account for it.

    I think I have cracked the problem. So in case anyone else falls into this
    particular heffalump trap ..........

    On the POTS side we have this smart dialer thingy for routing calls through
    different providers depending on the number dialed. It can take some time
    before all the kit on the circuit is satisfied I have finished dialing, so I
    have gotten into the habit of adding a trailing # - Which works fine on POTS,
    but on VOIP it is used, amongst other things, in dialing an IP address. I
    suspect the equipment saw the #, went off into never never land and correctly
    returned unobtainable.

    --

    Regards

    Dave Saville