VoipRaider on Unbuntu PC

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by hammond, Dec 3, 2008.

  1. hammond

    hammond Guest

    I bought a cheap Dell mini which has Ubuntu as the operating system.
    Is it to use VoipRaider on this device and how ?
     
    hammond, Dec 3, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. hammond

    dippydoc Guest

    "hammond" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I bought a cheap Dell mini which has Ubuntu as the operating system.
    > Is it to use VoipRaider on this device and how ?


    Only by fiddling around. Download to a Windows box to receive a Voipraider
    username and password. Uninstall the app from the Windows box. Use the
    Voipraider details to configure a softphone on your Ubuntu box, or to set up
    an ATA or voip phone. Hey presto, and Robert's your father's brother...
     
    dippydoc, Dec 3, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. hammond

    hammond Guest

    Hmm which softphone would you recommend :)
     
    hammond, Dec 3, 2008
    #3
  4. dippydoc <> wrote:
    >
    > Only by fiddling around. Download to a Windows box to receive a
    > Voipraider username and password. Uninstall the app from the Windows box.
    > Use the Voipraider details to configure a softphone on your Ubuntu box, or
    > to set up an ATA or voip phone. Hey presto, and Robert's your father's
    > brother...


    You only need the Windows app to register numbers for CLID. You can sign up
    without Windows:
    http://www.voipraider.com/en/websignup.php
    Same goes for all Betamax brands. FWIW I compared Windows-signedup and
    web-signedup accounts at SMSListo and they had exactly the same payment
    options, so I don't know what it means by web signup has fewer payment
    options.

    I've used Twinkle as a Linux softphone - wasn't too tricky to set up.

    Theo
     
    Theo Markettos, Dec 3, 2008
    #4
  5. hammond <> wrote in <>:
    > Hmm which softphone would you recommend :)


    On Ubuntu? Ekiga is already installed or a few clicks away.

    Koos

    --
    Koos van den Hout, PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 via keyservers
    4all.nl or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5
    Snowcam: webcams for your wintersport holiday
    http://idefix.net/~koos/ http://www.snowcam.org/
     
    Koos van den Hout, Dec 3, 2008
    #5
  6. hammond

    dippydoc Guest

    "Theo Markettos" <> wrote in message
    news:MJb*...

    > You only need the Windows app to register numbers for CLID. You can sign
    > up
    > without Windows:
    > http://www.voipraider.com/en/websignup.php



    Well, stap me, so you can! They really ought to modify their instructions
    page, but to be fair, the download page does lead you through the options.


    > Same goes for all Betamax brands. FWIW I compared Windows-signedup and
    > web-signedup accounts at SMSListo and they had exactly the same payment
    > options, so I don't know what it means by web signup has fewer payment
    > options.
    >
    > I've used Twinkle as a Linux softphone - wasn't too tricky to set up.
    >
    > Theo


    I've used Ekiga(GnomeMeeting as was),which I believe is in one of Ubuntu's
    repos. It was way back when though, so I can't remember whether I could
    recommend it.
     
    dippydoc, Dec 3, 2008
    #6
  7. dippydoc <> wrote:
    >
    > Well, stap me, so you can! They really ought to modify their instructions
    > page, but to be fair, the download page does lead you through the options.


    Previously Betamax brands had a 'Mac/Linux' option on the 'More' pulldown,
    but it's disappeared. Now you have to know where to look.

    > > I've used Twinkle as a Linux softphone - wasn't too tricky to set up.

    >
    > I've used Ekiga(GnomeMeeting as was),which I believe is in one of Ubuntu's
    > repos. It was way back when though, so I can't remember whether I could
    > recommend it.


    I haven't succeeded in getting Ekiga to work on Ubuntu. It might be
    something to do with being behind NAT, but I couldn't make it do anything.
    Twinkle is also in Ubuntu and was easy to set up. Maybe it just has better
    NAT handling (I've never really worked out what all these clients are doing
    about NAT).

    Theo
     
    Theo Markettos, Dec 4, 2008
    #7
  8. In article <KJb*>,
    Theo Markettos <> wrote:
    >dippydoc <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Well, stap me, so you can! They really ought to modify their instructions
    >> page, but to be fair, the download page does lead you through the options.

    >
    >Previously Betamax brands had a 'Mac/Linux' option on the 'More' pulldown,
    >but it's disappeared. Now you have to know where to look.
    >
    >> > I've used Twinkle as a Linux softphone - wasn't too tricky to set up.

    >>
    >> I've used Ekiga(GnomeMeeting as was),which I believe is in one of Ubuntu's
    >> repos. It was way back when though, so I can't remember whether I could
    >> recommend it.

    >
    >I haven't succeeded in getting Ekiga to work on Ubuntu. It might be
    >something to do with being behind NAT, but I couldn't make it do anything.
    >Twinkle is also in Ubuntu and was easy to set up. Maybe it just has better
    >NAT handling (I've never really worked out what all these clients are doing
    >about NAT).


    While not open source, you might want to give Zoiper a go -
    http://www.zoiper.com/ it's compiled on Ubuntu which gave me a lot of
    hassle under Debian )-:

    Zoiper was called IDEFISK once upon a time, and was anice lightweight
    IAX softphone, but now it's called Zoiper and it supports SIP, but it's
    bloating slowly (and they even have video support in the pipeline now too)

    Gordon
     
    Gordon Henderson, Dec 4, 2008
    #8
  9. hammond

    dippydoc Guest

    "Theo Markettos" <> wrote in message
    news:KJb*...
    > I haven't succeeded in getting Ekiga to work on Ubuntu. It might be
    > something to do with being behind NAT, but I couldn't make it do anything.
    > Twinkle is also in Ubuntu and was easy to set up. Maybe it just has
    > better
    > NAT handling (I've never really worked out what all these clients are
    > doing
    > about NAT).
    >
    > Theo


    Oh yes - To STUN or not to STUN - I've never been able to get my head around
    this problem, or even to understand what it is that a STUN server does.
    (And don't get me going about dtmf signalling, but that's for another thread
    on a very slow news week).

    According to their wiki
    http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Ekiga_behind_a_NAT_router they reckon that
    their NAT support has improved, if anyone fancies a spot of testing?
    Tempting, but I'm going to pass on that one. Hammond - you're the
    perpetrator - I nominate you. :))
     
    dippydoc, Dec 4, 2008
    #9
  10. In article <>,
    dippydoc <> wrote:
    >
    >"Theo Markettos" <> wrote in message
    >news:KJb*...
    >> I haven't succeeded in getting Ekiga to work on Ubuntu. It might be
    >> something to do with being behind NAT, but I couldn't make it do anything.
    >> Twinkle is also in Ubuntu and was easy to set up. Maybe it just has
    >> better
    >> NAT handling (I've never really worked out what all these clients are
    >> doing
    >> about NAT).
    >>
    >> Theo

    >
    >Oh yes - To STUN or not to STUN - I've never been able to get my head around
    >this problem, or even to understand what it is that a STUN server does.
    >(And don't get me going about dtmf signalling, but that's for another thread
    >on a very slow news week).
    >
    >According to their wiki
    >http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Ekiga_behind_a_NAT_router they reckon that
    >their NAT support has improved, if anyone fancies a spot of testing?
    >Tempting, but I'm going to pass on that one. Hammond - you're the
    >perpetrator - I nominate you. :))


    I occasionally look at Ekiga to see if if I still don't like it - and
    after todays trial, I still don't, however Ekiga seems to work OK for
    me behind a NAT router. I wish it would support IAX though.

    Just noticed an error message from it though:

    warning: The echo canceller started acting funny and got slapped (reset).
    It swears it will behave now.

    It printed it twice when running it earlier to test...

    Not sure I could go to a client with a bit of software that prints that
    error message (without grabbing the source, changing it, and re-compiling)

    The whole soft-phone thing *really* relies on decent audio hardware on
    your desktop/laptop and I think that's there a lot of them fall-down. A
    good headset is esential, but I sort of thing the ideal thing might
    be a good USB "phone" device. The issue then is (as always) making the
    buttons on the device work... One thing Skype does score at )-:

    Gordon
     
    Gordon Henderson, Dec 4, 2008
    #10
  11. hammond

    dippydoc Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > dippydoc submitted this idea :
    >> Oh yes - To STUN or not to STUN - I've never been able to get my head
    >> around this problem, or even to understand what it is that a STUN server
    >> does. (And don't get me going about dtmf signalling, but that's for
    >> another thread on a very slow news week).

    >
    > Hmm. Does STUN have an effect on DTMF? I've cured a remote Asterisk
    > extension's one-way audio by using STUN but find that DTMF doesn't get
    > sent, so cannot dial into voicemail...


    The can of worms has now been opened...

    It's my understanding that dtmf signalling is either RFC2833 compliant or
    not. I did once take a look at a web page that went into detail about
    RFC2833 and I left it a couple of minutes later when I sensed that my blood
    had drained to my feet. I've not had the nerve to revisit that site, so
    I've remained in ignorance of the subject. All I know is that there are
    various flavours of dtmf: RFC2833, In Band, Info and Auto and quite likely
    others too. Some are a Good ThingT to some providers while others would
    declare the same to be an Abomination unto the Gods Of Telephony. I've never
    heard of STUN affecting dtmf, although if it does, well, that's just one
    more cross to bear.

    EDIT Just finished a quick search for some digestable info on this
    subject, and https://www.callaphone.net/index.php?/support/faq.html has an
    item that recommends that high compression codecs might affect dtmf
    transmission.
     
    dippydoc, Dec 5, 2008
    #11
  12. hammond

    news1001 Guest

    In article <>, Jono
    <> writes
    >dippydoc submitted this idea :
    >> Oh yes - To STUN or not to STUN - I've never been able to get my head around
    >> this problem, or even to understand what it is that a STUN server does. (And
    >> don't get me going about dtmf signalling, but that's for another thread on a
    >> very slow news week).

    >
    >Hmm. Does STUN have an effect on DTMF? I've cured a remote Asterisk
    >extension's one-way audio by using STUN but find that DTMF doesn't get
    >sent, so cannot dial into voicemail...
    >
    >


    Out of interest, could you explain the steps you used for the remote &
    stun ?

    --
    news1001
     
    news1001, Dec 5, 2008
    #12
  13. hammond

    Paul Hayes Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > Hmm. Does STUN have an effect on DTMF?
    >


    In a word, no. STUN is a protocol for a device behind a nat to talk to
    a server to (try to!) determine what kind of nat it is behind and what
    it's outside IP address appears to be. Then the SIP client uses this
    info to mangle SIP packets it sends out in an attempt to make the SIP
    server send return packets to the right place. It's hit and miss at
    best really, sometimes it can solve these issues.

    DTMF issues aren't going to be related to NAT problems. Make sure
    you're using rfc2833 DTMF first of all.

    cheers,
    Paul.
     
    Paul Hayes, Dec 8, 2008
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. hammond

    Voipraider.com ip address

    hammond, Apr 14, 2008, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    2,756
    Chris Davies
    Apr 16, 2008
  2. hammond
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,427
    hammond
    Oct 23, 2008
  3. Wal
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,030
    Soruk
    Feb 20, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page