Voipraider.com ip address

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by hammond, Apr 14, 2008.

  1. hammond

    hammond Guest

    All my voipraider.com calls are being charged whilst voipcheap.com
    calls are not. I think this maybe because I have a dynamic IP address.
    How do I get round this can I use Voxalot or something, how long will
    I need the same IP address for, for the calls to be free ?
     
    hammond, Apr 14, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. hammond

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 08:03:08 -0700 (PDT), hammond
    <> wrote:

    >All my voipraider.com calls are being charged whilst voipcheap.com
    >calls are not. I think this maybe because I have a dynamic IP address.
    >How do I get round this can I use Voxalot or something, how long will
    >I need the same IP address for, for the calls to be free ?

    I use Voxalot for justVoip and it works fine. The possibility of the
    IP changing is the reason I am not making any justVoip calls direct
    from my ATA.
    I put the question, re what happened if the IP changed etc., in a post
    recently, and no one appeared to have an answer. You might be the
    guinea pig here. I guess that the 7 day thing might have a bearing on
    it. You might have to miss out on 1 day or even 7 - who can tell! I
    would start by using voxalot and waiting one day before you make any
    calls. Make one call on one day and, if you get charged, try again the
    following day.



    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    ---
     
    Brian A, Apr 14, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. hammond

    hammond Guest

    Things is I only really want to use landline to landline or via an
    access number
     
    hammond, Apr 14, 2008
    #3
  4. hammond

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:25:51 +0100, Jono <>
    wrote:

    >on 14/04/2008, Brian A supposed :
    >> On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 08:03:08 -0700 (PDT), hammond
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> All my voipraider.com calls are being charged whilst voipcheap.com
    >>> calls are not. I think this maybe because I have a dynamic IP address.
    >>> How do I get round this can I use Voxalot or something, how long will
    >>> I need the same IP address for, for the calls to be free ?

    >> I use Voxalot for justVoip and it works fine. The possibility of the
    >> IP changing is the reason I am not making any justVoip calls direct
    >> from my ATA.
    >> I put the question, re what happened if the IP changed etc., in a post
    >> recently, and no one appeared to have an answer. You might be the
    >> guinea pig here. I guess that the 7 day thing might have a bearing on
    >> it. You might have to miss out on 1 day or even 7 - who can tell! I
    >> would start by using voxalot and waiting one day before you make any
    >> calls. Make one call on one day and, if you get charged, try again the
    >> following day.
    >>

    >
    >Their "per unique IP address" rule is to stop call centres using the
    >service with a single tenner's credit; not to make dynamic IP
    >addresses cost more to use......
    >

    I agree that this was introduced to stop fraud but it is a case of
    what is the 'fall out' for the ordinary honest user. They actually say
    "per unique IP address" on JustVoip. An IP address is 'unique' so I
    think they have chosen the wrong word here. I think they mean per
    single, static IP address - and therein lies the problem. Just last
    week I set up an SPA-3102 for some relations. I did consider setting
    up the ATA to make calls directly but I couldn't take the risk with
    someone else's set up - thus I chose to use Voxalot because I know
    that it will work consistently. As, currently, they only want to make
    outgoing calls there was no extra cost involved. The OP is now
    experiencing what I feared might happen.


    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    ---
     
    Brian A, Apr 15, 2008
    #4
  5. hammond

    Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:37:17 +0100, "Pet - www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    >Brian A wrote:
    >
    >> I agree that this was introduced to stop fraud but it is a case of
    >> what is the 'fall out' for the ordinary honest user. They actually say
    >> "per unique IP address" on JustVoip. An IP address is 'unique' so I
    >> think they have chosen the wrong word here.
    >> I think they mean per
    >> single, static IP address -

    >
    >Why?
    >I have 3 internet connections through 2 separate accounts 2 of which
    >have dynamic IP Addresses. Both home connection and work connection use
    >the same voipcheap account to dial out, thereby using the same minutes
    >in other words doubling up on the free minutes.

    When you say 'doubling up' what do you mean exactly. Presumably you
    are still only getting your 300mins/7 days maximum.
    Still, it is surprising that you have managed to use 2 dynamic IPs on
    the same account.
    >
    >> and therein lies the problem. Just last
    >> week I set up an SPA-3102 for some relations. I did consider setting
    >> up the ATA to make calls directly but I couldn't take the risk with
    >> someone else's set up -

    >
    >I would have thought using voxalot was _more_ of a risk.
    >How can setting up an ATA to do what it's made to do be risky?

    Only because there were people who were using their free call
    allowance in a fraudulent way. It is because of this that the IP
    condition was introduced.
    >
    >All you are doing by using voxalot surely is introducing an additional
    >point of failure into the chain.

    That is very true.
    >
    >Am I missing something?

    Yes, just one thing. There was a problem using Voxalot but there was
    collaboration to sort it out. The use of Voxalot with Betamax services
    seems to be assured.
    >
    >Pete


    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    ---
     
    Brian A, Apr 15, 2008
    #5
  6. hammond

    Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 23:56:59 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    >Brian A wrote:
    >
    >>> in other words doubling up on the free minutes.

    >> When you say 'doubling up' what do you mean exactly. Presumably you
    >> are still only getting your 300mins/7 days maximum.

    >
    >Well, no, if I ever managed to use more than 300 minutes per 7 days I
    >could tell you, however home<->work calls are sip<->sip through
    >voipfone.co.uk so they are free regardless then.
    >Between home and work calls from two separate ADSL connections we don't
    >(too my knowledge) ever go past 7 hours a week though there is no way of
    >telling really as we're using 2 different IP addresses. :¬)
    >
    >> Still, it is surprising that you have managed to use 2 dynamic IPs on
    >> the same account.

    >
    >Static or dynamic makes no odds. You don't actually have to have the ATA
    >registered to make an outboud call. the call is made through the
    >internet using your account number and password.
    >ATA registration is only needed if youhave an incoming voip number so
    >your ATA can tell your VOIP provider your _current_ registered IP
    >address whether it is the same as yesterday of has changed in the last
    >10 minutes (unlikely unless you have re-booted your modem (able or ADSL)
    >
    >> Only because there were people who were using their free call
    >> allowance in a fraudulent way. It is because of this that the IP
    >> condition was introduced.

    >
    >They wouldn't have been using it in a "fraudulent" way. A more
    >fraudulent way would be to aquire a fresh IP address once you had hit
    >your free minute allowance then start a fresh with new IP address.
    >.....but that's not fraudulent as they say it's OK to do.
    >I guess the rare minority that feel the need to squeeze extra minutes is
    >so small it's not a financial issue.
    >
    >>> Am I missing something?

    >> Yes, just one thing. There was a problem using Voxalot but there was
    >> collaboration to sort it out. The use of Voxalot with Betamax services
    >> seems to be assured.

    >
    >no, I mean, why are you using voxalot in the first place?
    > From my own usage I can't understand the need for it.

    I use it for several reasons, the main ones are:-
    1. I can register more than 1 incoming number to ring on one phone.
    In fact I only register 1 number, the other number is pointed at
    Voxalot. I don't use Betamax for incoming calls.
    2. I can divert calls to voicemail on a timed basis.
    3. I can send certain unwanted calls to oblivion.
    4. I can divert to my mobile, or other phone, if I am going to be away
    from home for a while.
    5. I can have a common voicemail box for both incoming numbers.

    ....and, yes, Jono, now I think about it, I agree with you re the point
    you made about the one IP from Voxalot being an original culprit in
    the 'so called' fraudulent use.



    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    ---
     
    Brian A, Apr 16, 2008
    #6
  7. hammond

    Chris Davies Guest

    Jose <> wrote:
    > Don't take it personally - I never heard of Betamax ever replying to
    > one single customer ;-P


    I got a reply from them and it was (nearly) helpful. Once.
    Chris
     
    Chris Davies, Apr 16, 2008
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Andrew Albert
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    3,952
    Rod Dorman
    Feb 8, 2005
  2. ProgDario
    Replies:
    17
    Views:
    3,645
    ProgDario
    May 6, 2005
  3. hammond
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,389
    hammond
    Oct 23, 2008
  4. hammond

    VoipRaider on Unbuntu PC

    hammond, Dec 3, 2008, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    7,263
    Paul Hayes
    Dec 8, 2008
  5. Wal
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    982
    Soruk
    Feb 20, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page