VoipJet / Win98SE / iaxComm / Firefly / Freshtel USB phone

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Franc Zabkar, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    I recently set up a VoIP account with VoipJet
    (http://www.voipjet.com/) on my Win98SE box using iaxComm's softphone:

    http://iaxclient.sourceforge.net/iaxcomm/iaxcomm-win-1.0rc2.zip

    I'm using Freshtel's FT102B USB phone
    (http://www.freshtel.net/products/ft102.php). It's speaker and
    microphone work quite well, but the keypad and display are inoperative
    with VoipJet.

    During VoipJet's signup procedure I was given a page of account setup
    instructions which were written for a Linux user - no mention of
    Windows. These instructions included a username, 32 digit hex
    password, server address, and codec setup. Fortunately I didn't have
    too much trouble configuring my iaxComm dialer, except for the choice
    of codec. The setup instructions were US-centric, and therefore
    recommended that all codecs, except for G.711 ulaw, should be
    disallowed. This resulted in "raspy" audio. Selecting alaw (the
    correct codec for Australia) fixed this problem. Strangely, one of the
    account setup dialogue boxes asked for the location of an Asterix
    server (eg Oxford, UK), so I input Sydney, Australia. I would have
    thought that my personalised account setup instructions should have
    reflected this choice. <shrug>

    I like VoipJet's gift of US$0.25 free credit. I used it to call my own
    number (I'm on ADSL) and was able to test the connection in real time.
    Providers like Skype use a prerecorded announcement, followed by
    recording and playback of your own voice. Freshtel's test number just
    plays a prerecorded test message.

    I tried setting up VoipJet with 3rd party Firefly software:
    http://www.virbiage.com/firefly/download/firefly-thirdparty.exe

    Under Firefly, Freshtel's FT102B phone is fully functional, keypad and
    LCD included. Unfortunately, VoipJet accepts my username but rejects
    my password (the same pw as used with iaxComm). Does anyone have any
    idea why?

    BTW, one annoyance I have with iaxComm is that the phone book and all
    user settings, including an unencrypted password, are stored in the
    registry.

    Thanks for reading this far.

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Feb 25, 2005

  2. Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:33:26 +1100, Franc Zabkar
    <> put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >I recently set up a VoIP account with VoipJet
    >(http://www.voipjet.com/) on my Win98SE box ...

    >I tried setting up VoipJet with 3rd party Firefly software:
    > http://www.virbiage.com/firefly/download/firefly-thirdparty.exe
    >
    >Unfortunately, VoipJet accepts my username but rejects
    >my password (the same pw as used with iaxComm). Does anyone have any
    >idea why?

    Apparently the reason for the login failure is that the latest version
    of Firefly does not support md5 (encrypted) authorisation. Reports are
    that an earlier version (Firefly 1.5 build 3388) does not have this
    limitation.

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Feb 26, 2005