    registering and their website appears to be down. Noticed around 8.00am
    this morning.

    , Dec 21, 2005

  2. news Guest

    In message <>,
    writes
    >Anyone else having problems with Voipfone. IP Phones are not
    >registering and their website appears to be down. Noticed around 8.00am
    >this morning.

    Yes, it's down here as well (11:00 Wednesday).

    --
    Ian

    news, Dec 21, 2005

  3. Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:10:19 GMT, news <> wrote:

    >In message <>,
    > writes
    >>Anyone else having problems with Voipfone. IP Phones are not
    >>registering and their website appears to be down. Noticed around 8.00am
    >>this morning.
    >>

    >Yes, it's down here as well (11:00 Wednesday).

    Down here also at 13.00 .
    I used to think Voiphone where sort of reliable but in recent months I
    have noticed a steady decline in their service I was thinking of
    giving them the push because of this and the outage today has given me
    the incentive to do something about it TODAY .
    VOIPHONE are now in the same league has damned Sipgate as far has I am
    concerned .

    , Dec 21, 2005
  4. cjd Guest

    Yes we had a problem this morning - Our customers will be getting this
    email shortly. Voipfone IS generally extreemly reliable but, like
    everyone else using these technologies, stuff sometimes does happen and
    hopefully we learn from it. VoIP is a journey, please bear with us.

    We had a serious outage this morning. It was caused by a hardware
    failure of a critical piece of new equipment at our Network Operating
    Centre.

    Hardware failures like this are extremely rare but our engineers
    managed to locate the problem, replace the equipment and re-instate the
    network in under 4 hours.

    Even so, I know how dependent you are on our service and I can only
    offer my apologies for the inconvenience.

    We are investing all the time in the entire network to prevent
    individual component failures like this one causing severe interruption
    to service and we will continue to do so.

    Again, I apologise for the inconvenience this must have caused you at
    such a busy time of year.

    Have a good Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

    cjd, Dec 21, 2005
  5. Mark Adamson Guest

    >>Anyone else having problems with Voipfone. IP Phones are not
    >>registering and their website appears to be down. Noticed around 8.00am
    >>this morning.
    >>

    > Yes, it's down here as well (11:00 Wednesday).

    It was still down at 11:45, but back up again some time before 13:25.

    This does worry me, especially after previous outages and makes me think I
    should be recommending gradwell (who seem to mainly have better pbx
    facilities) or voip.co.uk for outgoing calls.

    Mark

    Mark Adamson, Dec 21, 2005
  6. Mark Adamson Guest

    "cjd" <> wrote in message
    > Yes we had a problem this morning - Our customers will be getting this
    > email shortly. Voipfone IS generally extreemly reliable but, like
    > everyone else using these technologies, stuff sometimes does happen and
    > hopefully we learn from it. VoIP is a journey, please bear with us.
    >
    > We had a serious outage this morning. It was caused by a hardware
    > failure of a critical piece of new equipment at our Network Operating
    > Centre.
    >
    > Hardware failures like this are extremely rare but our engineers
    > managed to locate the problem, replace the equipment and re-instate the
    > network in under 4 hours.
    >
    > Even so, I know how dependent you are on our service and I can only
    > offer my apologies for the inconvenience.
    >
    > We are investing all the time in the entire network to prevent
    > individual component failures like this one causing severe interruption
    > to service and we will continue to do so.
    >
    > Again, I apologise for the inconvenience this must have caused you at
    > such a busy time of year.
    >
    > Have a good Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

    While I appreciate your informative response and apology, I find it
    difficult to understand what piece of equipment this could possibly be that
    is too expensive to duplicate. You are very likely to lose significant
    numbers of customers if you do not soon invest more in redundancy.

    You'll notice from this group that once a company has a bad reputation, it
    is difficult to lose it and this is, I believe, the third daylight outage in
    the last 6 months.

    Mark

    Mark Adamson, Dec 21, 2005
  7. news Guest

    In message <>, cjd
    <> writes
    >Yes we had a problem this morning -

    [Snip]

    Everything working fine again now (13:45 Wednesday)

    --
    Ian

    news, Dec 21, 2005
  8. cjd Guest

    Most of our customers have been very understanding - perhaps because
    it's a rare occurrence and perhaps because it's the time of peace and
    goodwill to all VoIP pioneers.

    However it's certainly been a bad VoIP day - here's a bit of an email
    from one of our customers:

    Subject: Re: Voipfone Outage
    Thanks for advice.. you're not the only one today,
    there have been several global outages on various voip
    services today... RCA reports have varied reasons, cut
    fibres, hardware defects, and oddest of all an ISDN
    link came out and took down a Call Manager cluster in
    Barcelona...

    Whoever provides your service, have a good Christmas.

    cjd, Dec 21, 2005
  9. cjd wrote:
    > Most of our customers have been very understanding - perhaps because
    > it's a rare occurrence and perhaps because it's the time of peace and
    > goodwill to all VoIP pioneers.
    >
    > However it's certainly been a bad VoIP day - here's a bit of an email
    > from one of our customers:
    >
    > Subject: Re: Voipfone Outage
    > Thanks for advice.. you're not the only one today,
    > there have been several global outages on various voip
    > services today... RCA reports have varied reasons, cut
    > fibres, hardware defects, and oddest of all an ISDN
    > link came out and took down a Call Manager cluster in
    > Barcelona...
    >
    > Whoever provides your service, have a good Christmas.

    As they say shit happens voipfone has provided me with a first class
    service of the past few months any one that believes that a service
    will be error free needs a check up from the neck up its not going to
    happen

    while i am at it i must say i am very impressed with your new 0800
    service i have just purchased one for my company i am also impressed
    with the business hours feature keep up the good work

    have a fantastic Christmas

    Mat

    Mathew Curtis, Dec 21, 2005
  10. Mark Adamson Guest

    > As they say shit happens voipfone has provided me with a first class
    > service of the past few months any one that believes that a service
    > will be error free needs a check up from the neck up its not going to
    > happen

    I have never provided an error free service with my IT work, and would
    rarely expect to in future, so I know it is difficult to achieve.

    However, it seems with telecoms that the general populus, both consumers and
    small businesses are used to a pretty flawless service (unlike with
    broadband where people have always experienced the odd downtime so expect no
    better). While I know of one other person who has had a fault on a telephone
    line, they seem very rare, expecially faults that take down a sizable
    proportion of the customers. Is that a fair observation?

    I know from recent experience that the percieved (or not?) reliability
    issues with VoIP are enough to make small businesses go with a proprietry
    ISDN pbx system, and miss out on the benefits of VoIP. It's understandable,
    they have never had a single issue with their current phone systems in 4
    seperate sites.

    Mark

    Mark Adamson, Dec 21, 2005
  11. Mark Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:48:19 -0000, "Mark Adamson"
    <> wrote:

    [snip]

    >While I appreciate your informative response and apology, I find it
    >difficult to understand what piece of equipment this could possibly be that
    >is too expensive to duplicate. You are very likely to lose significant
    >numbers of customers if you do not soon invest more in redundancy.

    ...a Cisco router?

    ;-)

    (Since both the website and VoIP service went belly up it was probably
    a something fairly fundamental on the IP networking side.)

    Mark, Dec 23, 2005