    TIA for any feedback.

    --
    Paul McGuinness

    Paul McGuinness, Jan 7, 2009

  2. On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 21:32:16 +0000, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
    [...]
    > I'm pretty sure it's not re-registering, it's just responding to a ping
    > from the voipfone server so very little data exchange whatsoever.
    > Certainly nothing to worry about.

    I have just checked and it is a full REGISTER request - in fact, in my case
    it even sends the REGISTER request twice: the first time without
    authentication and then again with authentication (using Twinkle).

    Christof

    http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
    mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org

    Christof Meerwald, Jan 8, 2009

  3. Paul McGuinness

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 08:06:54 UTC, Christof Meerwald
    <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 21:32:16 +0000, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
    > [...]
    > > I'm pretty sure it's not re-registering, it's just responding to a ping
    > > from the voipfone server so very little data exchange whatsoever.
    > > Certainly nothing to worry about.

    > I have just checked and it is a full REGISTER request - in fact, in my case
    > it even sends the REGISTER request twice: the first time without
    > authentication and then again with authentication (using Twinkle).

    I think that is normal - The two requests I mean. There should be a
    setting somewhere, in seconds, as to how often it reregisters. 3600 is
    good.
    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Jan 8, 2009
  4. Paul McGuinness

    Tim Guest

    Paul McGuinness wrote:
    > New to viop.
    > I using snom 300 and have voipfone registered. Log shows traffic - 500
    > to 1000 bytes - every 60 seconds. This seems excessive and could eat
    > into my usage. Is there a setting I have wrong or is this normal ie the
    > way it works?

    It is the way they do it. Something to do with load balancing/failover.

    Actually, on most phones it will be a registration every 30 seconds. It
    is fairly standard to attempt re-registration at half the remaining
    registration time.

    Tim

    Tim, Jan 8, 2009
  5. Paul McGuinness

    Tim Guest

    Christof Meerwald wrote:
    > I have just checked and it is a full REGISTER request - in fact, in my case
    > it even sends the REGISTER request twice: the first time without
    > authentication and then again with authentication (using Twinkle).

    This dual registration is a standard part of the challenge response
    digest part of SIP authentication.

    It is done to protect your password.

    Tim

    Tim, Jan 8, 2009
  6. Paul McGuinness

    alexd Guest

    Paul McGuinness wrote:

    > New to viop.
    > I using snom 300 and have voipfone registered. Log shows traffic - 500
    > to 1000 bytes - every 60 seconds.

    Does your handset offer any options to adjust the registration expiry timer?

    > This seems excessive and could eat
    > into my usage. Is there a setting I have wrong or is this normal ie the
    > way it works?

    If ~40MB of data a month makes a significant difference to whether or not
    you hit your tariff limit, move to an ISP with more generous data
    allowance.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    12:43:06 up 34 days, 14:55, 1 user, load average: 0.03, 0.09, 0.06

    alexd, Jan 8, 2009
  7. In message <>, alexd <>
    writes
    >Paul McGuinness wrote:
    >
    >> New to viop.
    >> I using snom 300 and have voipfone registered. Log shows traffic - 500
    >> to 1000 bytes - every 60 seconds.

    >Does your handset offer any options to adjust the registration expiry timer?
    >
    >> This seems excessive and could eat
    >> into my usage. Is there a setting I have wrong or is this normal ie the
    >> way it works?

    >If ~40MB of data a month makes a significant difference to whether or not
    >you hit your tariff limit, move to an ISP with more generous data
    >allowance.

    I hadn't done the math. 40mb does seem a small amount.
    --
    Paul McGuinness

    Paul McGuinness, Jan 8, 2009
  8. On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 12:04:22 +0000, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    >Dave Saville wrote:
    >
    >> I think that is normal - The two requests I mean. There should be a
    >> setting somewhere, in seconds, as to how often it reregisters. 3600 is
    >> good.

    >On the gigaset I have now there is nothing like that, and when I was
    >using the Draytek even though I was able to change the settings it made
    >no difference and Voipfone tech chap said they pinged the ATA every 60
    >seconds regardless.

    The *outgoing* refresh can be changed on the Gigaset.

    Settings->Telephony->Connections

    Select Edit for the connection you want to change, then Show
    Advanced Settings. You will see boxes for Registration refresh, the
    NAT refresh and the STUN refresh times.

    I know from trying it that if you set the NAT refresh to 0 then no
    NAT refresh is done at all.

    Regards,
    Harry.

    Harry Broomhall, Jan 8, 2009
  9. On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 12:47:39 +0000, Tim wrote:
    > Christof Meerwald wrote:
    >> I have just checked and it is a full REGISTER request - in fact, in my case
    >> it even sends the REGISTER request twice: the first time without
    >> authentication and then again with authentication (using Twinkle).

    > This dual registration is a standard part of the challenge response
    > digest part of SIP authentication.

    Ahh yes, of course - I didn't look close enough to spot this. Thanks for
    pointing it out.

    Christof

    http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
    mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org

    Christof Meerwald, Jan 8, 2009
  10. Paul McGuinness

    Tim Guest

    alexd wrote:
    > Paul McGuinness wrote:
    >
    >> New to viop.
    >> I using snom 300 and have voipfone registered. Log shows traffic - 500
    >> to 1000 bytes - every 60 seconds.

    > Does your handset offer any options to adjust the registration expiry timer?

    It wouldn't make any difference. Voipfone overide it.

    The phone specifies a proposed expiry time. The registrar can override
    this.

    Tim

    Tim, Jan 9, 2009
  11. On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 10:18:17 +0000, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    >Harry Broomhall wrote:
    >>
    >> The *outgoing* refresh can be changed on the Gigaset.
    >>
    >> Settings->Telephony->Connections
    >>
    >> Select Edit for the connection you want to change, then Show
    >> Advanced Settings. You will see boxes for Registration refresh, the
    >> NAT refresh and the STUN refresh times.
    >>
    >> I know from trying it that if you set the NAT refresh to 0 then no
    >> NAT refresh is done at all.

    >Oh yes.
    >Thanks Harry.
    >:¬)
    >Just found it.
    >If DHCP address of ATA is static and bound by MAC address and IP address
    > is static would there be any need for NAT refresh?

    It depends. If that IP address is on a private range, and your
    router does NAT, then yes, you will need NAT refresh.

    The point of the NAT refresh is that NAT devices keep a 'live' table
    of connections in memory. If that connection isn't used for a bit
    then the NAT device will delete the entry from the table. The refresh
    is to stop that happening.

    Regards,
    Harry.

    Harry Broomhall, Jan 9, 2009