Voipfone keeps disconnecting when I am on mute....

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Mr JM, Jun 23, 2007.

  1. Mr JM

    Mr JM Guest

    All,

    I am trying to use voipfone (with a snom 300) for the last 4 month, but
    unlike everyone else, I find them completly useless....

    I am quite often on conference call, during which I intend to set my phone
    on mute if I am not talking. After about 2-5 minutes on mute, I find myself
    disconnected.

    Am I the only one in this case? voipfone support reckon this is a but at
    their end, but after 4 month, this is still `pending resolution`.

    Any clues?

    Ditch voipfone? bnut then to go where (voip.co.uk quality is not great, and
    sipgate even worse).

    Thanks,

    JM

    Mr JM, Jun 23, 2007

  2. Mr JM

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 12:25:52 +0100, "Mr JM" <> wrote:

    >All,
    >
    >I am trying to use voipfone (with a snom 300) for the last 4 month, but
    >unlike everyone else, I find them completly useless....
    >
    >I am quite often on conference call, during which I intend to set my phone
    >on mute if I am not talking. After about 2-5 minutes on mute, I find myself
    >disconnected.
    >
    >Am I the only one in this case? voipfone support reckon this is a but at
    >their end, but after 4 month, this is still `pending resolution`.
    >
    >Any clues?
    >
    >Ditch voipfone? bnut then to go where (voip.co.uk quality is not great, and
    >sipgate even worse).
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >JM

    I always find voip.co.uk quality to be good, so I am surprised that
    you say this. Maybe you have another problem with your
    hardware/connection.
    On voip there are several free conference rooms. Depending on how you
    conduct your conferences, you could all link to the same room on the
    same number if that was a satisfactory arrangement.
    Check out this page for details:-
    http://faq.sipbroker.com/tiki-index.php?page=Phone Numbers
    Look under From http://sipphone.com/numbers :
    at
    *747-1-222-000-0000 party line (sometimes has people talking about
    VoIP; open)
    *747-1-222-XXX-XXXX create your own conference room by choosing any
    7-digit number (open)
    Just point a voip 'PSTN' number at the appropriate conference call
    number and you are up and working. Of course this is not private but
    the chances of someone happening on your chosen number is quite small
    considering that most of the users think that the only number is that
    for the 'party line'.

    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Get your friends to sign too!
    TV.
    ---

    Brian A, Jun 23, 2007

  3. Mr JM

    Jono Guest

    Mr JM pretended :
    > All,
    >
    > I am trying to use voipfone (with a snom 300) for the last 4 month, but
    > unlike everyone else, I find them completly useless....
    >
    > I am quite often on conference call, during which I intend to set my phone on
    > mute if I am not talking. After about 2-5 minutes on mute, I find myself
    > disconnected.
    >
    > Am I the only one in this case? voipfone support reckon this is a but at
    > their end, but after 4 month, this is still `pending resolution`.
    >
    > Any clues?
    >
    > Ditch voipfone? bnut then to go where (voip.co.uk quality is not great, and
    > sipgate even worse).
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > JM

    I've never used a Snom, so YMMV, however, on all my kit, there are
    settings to detect silence. I suspect that your phone may think you've
    hung up, or at least forgotten to hang up, when it has detected a
    period of silence.

    Jono, Jun 23, 2007
  4. Mr JM

    Guest

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 12:51:44 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >I always find voip.co.uk quality to be good, so I am surprised that
    >you say this. Maybe you have another problem with your
    >hardware/connection.

    I think they have gone a bit off just lately which is why I have
    canciled my account from the end of the month after being with them
    for almost two years and sticking with voip.co.uk .

    , Jun 23, 2007
  5. Mr JM

    Rob Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > I think they have gone a bit off just lately which is why I have
    > canciled my account from the end of the month after being with them
    > for almost two years and sticking with voip.co.uk .

    One alternative would be Sipgate, who, on the other hand I'm led to believe,
    have improved in the last 2 years.

    Rob

    Rob, Jun 23, 2007
  6. Mr JM

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I think they have gone a bit off just lately which is
    > > why I have canciled my account from the end of the
    > > month after being with them for almost two years and
    > > sticking with voip.co.uk .

    > One alternative would be Sipgate, who, on the other hand
    > I'm led to believe, have improved in the last 2 years.

    Very much so, since the registration servers were replaced about 18 months
    or so ago. Never had an outage or dropped call since.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 23, 2007
  7. Mr JM

    Mr JM Guest

    Same equipement, connecting to voip.co.uk, I do not have the issue.... go
    figure....

    Mr JM, Jun 23, 2007
  8. Mr JM

    Mr JM Guest

    Brian,

    The problem with conf call is that I do not really always control the
    confcall system my customers are using, so that's not really an option.

    I guess quality wise, it might just depends. But people (at the other end of
    the line, mostly US based) complained more when using voip.co.uk than
    voipfone.co.uk

    Mr JM, Jun 23, 2007
  9. Mr JM

    Mr JM Guest

    Sticking with voip.co.uk the way forward?

    Thanks

    Mr JM, Jun 23, 2007
  10. Mr JM

    Guest

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 17:13:11 +0100, "Mr JM" <> wrote:

    >Sticking with voip.co.uk the way forward?

    About the best I have found pity voipfone have slipped a little in the
    last month or two though .

    , Jun 23, 2007
  11. Mr JM

    Graham Guest

    "Mr JM" <> wrote in message
    > All,
    >
    > I am trying to use voipfone (with a snom 300) for the last 4 month, but
    > unlike everyone else, I find them completly useless....
    >
    > I am quite often on conference call, during which I intend to set my phone
    > on mute if I am not talking. After about 2-5 minutes on mute, I find
    > myself disconnected.
    >
    > Am I the only one in this case? voipfone support reckon this is a but at
    > their end, but after 4 month, this is still `pending resolution`.
    >
    > Any clues?
    >
    > Ditch voipfone? bnut then to go where (voip.co.uk quality is not great,
    > and sipgate even worse).
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > JM

    Just a thought, have you got silence suppression enabled in your
    SIP device? Perhaps if it was disabled it would keep the connection
    alive by sending silent packets.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Jun 23, 2007
  12. Mr JM

    Guest

    On 23 Jun, 18:39, wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 17:13:11 +0100, "Mr JM" <> wrote:
    > >Sticking with voip.co.uk the way forward?

    > About the best I have found pityvoipfonehave slipped a little in the
    > last month or two though .

    If anything I think they have improved over the last few months well
    at least I have no complaints :)

    Is there not a standard disconnect if no audio is heard? I am sure it
    is about 5 minutes

    if there is not some sort of default disconnect and you forget to hang
    up your phone you will just be charged until your money runs out I
    think even BT have a standard disconnect if no audio is sent afaik

    jbw

    , Jun 23, 2007
  13. Mr JM

    News Reader Guest

    "Mr JM" <> wrote in message
    > All,
    >
    > I am trying to use voipfone (with a snom 300) for the last 4 month, but
    > unlike everyone else, I find them completly useless....
    >
    > I am quite often on conference call, during which I intend to set my phone
    > on mute if I am not talking. After about 2-5 minutes on mute, I find
    > myself disconnected.
    >
    > Am I the only one in this case? voipfone support reckon this is a but at
    > their end, but after 4 month, this is still `pending resolution`.
    >
    > Any clues?
    >
    > Ditch voipfone? bnut then to go where (voip.co.uk quality is not great,
    > and sipgate even worse).
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > JM

    Hi,

    That is a good idea (that of the poster suggesting checking if you have
    silence suppression on or off)...

    You could:

    (i) use a conference system that allows you to mute your line at the
    conference system end (hence not having to mute your own line locally) (you
    could even use an intermediary conference room that permits you this
    facility then use another line to patch that conference room [your own one
    essentially] into the other conference room if you need to [e.g. a customers
    conference room, etc.]).

    (ii) periodically unmute and remute (e.g. every five minutes or three -
    whatever is required - switch mute off then on again); are you making a lot
    of noise requiring you to be on mute in the first place?; use an automated
    system that automatically generates a very quite noise packet at a given
    interval (not to difficult), etc.

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    News Reader, Jun 23, 2007
  14. Mr JM

    News Reader Guest

    "News Reader" <> wrote in message

    > "Mr JM" <> wrote in message
    >> All,
    >>
    >> I am trying to use voipfone (with a snom 300) for the last 4 month, but
    >> unlike everyone else, I find them completly useless....
    >>
    >> I am quite often on conference call, during which I intend to set my
    >> phone on mute if I am not talking. After about 2-5 minutes on mute, I
    >> find myself disconnected.
    >>
    >> Am I the only one in this case? voipfone support reckon this is a but at
    >> their end, but after 4 month, this is still `pending resolution`.
    >>
    >> Any clues?
    >>
    >> Ditch voipfone? bnut then to go where (voip.co.uk quality is not great,
    >> and sipgate even worse).
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> JM

    > Hi,
    >

    > That is a good idea (that of the poster suggesting checking if you have
    > silence suppression on or off)...
    >
    > You could:
    >
    > (i) use a conference system that allows you to mute your line at the
    > conference system end (hence not having to mute your own line locally)
    > (you could even use an intermediary conference room that permits you this
    > facility then use another line to patch that conference room [your own one
    > essentially] into the other conference room if you need to [e.g. a
    > customers conference room, etc.]).
    >
    > (ii) periodically unmute and remute (e.g. every five minutes or three -
    > whatever is required - switch mute off then on again); are you making a
    > lot of noise requiring you to be on mute in the first place?; use an
    > automated system that automatically generates a very quite noise packet at
    > a given interval (not to difficult), etc.
    >

    > Best wishes,
    >

    > News Reader

    Hi,

    The real trick is probably to determine whether the issue is more network or
    more hardware; and what judicious combinations thereof can fulfil your
    requirements (for example other hardware may not exhibit this problem on
    your current providers network, etc.).

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    News Reader, Jun 23, 2007
  15. Mr JM

    Mr JM Guest

    > Is there not a standard disconnect if no audio is heard? I am sure it
    > is about 5 minutes
    >
    > if there is not some sort of default disconnect and you forget to hang
    > up your phone you will just be charged until your money runs out I
    > think even BT have a standard disconnect if no audio is sent afaik

    Well, maybe, but if on mute and the other end is talking, surely this does
    not qualify as no audio. as I said, works for everyone (voip.co.uk, sipgate,
    and BT) except voipfone.... real shame....

    Anyone else have the same problem?

    Mr JM, Jun 23, 2007
  16. Mr JM

    Mr JM Guest

    silence suppression is off.... but I would expect the mute key to be very
    quiet anyway...

    Mr JM, Jun 23, 2007
  17. Mr JM

    Mr JM Guest

    I like the mute/unmute every 2 min or so.... seems like a great suggestion
    for a 21st century phone technology. I can sense real progress here....

    More seriously: I also have voip.co.uk and sipgate on the same hardware,
    but only voipfone has the issue.

    Mr JM, Jun 24, 2007
  18. Mr JM

    Graham Guest

    "Mr JM" <> wrote in message
    > silence suppression is off.... but I would expect the mute key to be very
    > quiet anyway...

    Precisely, that's why I thought it a good idea to make sure your device is
    sending
    a stream of empty packets instead of nothing at all, but it seems that
    wasn't
    the issue.

    Its customary to bottom post on Usenet.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Jun 24, 2007
  19. On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 12:25:52 +0100, "Mr JM" <> wrote:

    >All,
    >
    >I am trying to use voipfone (with a snom 300) for the last 4 month, but
    >unlike everyone else, I find them completly useless....
    >
    >I am quite often on conference call, during which I intend to set my phone
    >on mute if I am not talking. After about 2-5 minutes on mute, I find myself
    >disconnected.
    >
    >Am I the only one in this case? voipfone support reckon this is a but at
    >their end, but after 4 month, this is still `pending resolution`.
    >
    >Any clues?

    Sounds like an incompatibility between your phone and your provider. I
    would guess (and it's just a guess, I've used neither a snom 300 nor
    voiphone) that when you mute your snom, it stops sending rtp packets,
    and that voiphone uses lack of packets to decide that a call has
    ended.

    Darren J Longhorn, Jun 24, 2007
  20. Mr JM

    Mr JM Guest