VoipCheap - Queries

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by News Reader, Dec 8, 2005.

  1. News Reader

    News Reader Guest

    [Aside: Note: Cross-posted to uk.telecom for the benefit of those {still}
    without access to the uk.telelcom.voip newsgroup. ]

    Hi,

    I have a couple of questions about VoipCheap. They are in the following
    areas:

    - Geographic Incoming Numbers
    - VoipCheap Softphone

    Geographic Incoming Numbers
    ---

    Can anyone advise / confirm what the trick is to getting a real geographic
    (this query is predominantly about the UK but additional information about
    international numbers is also welcome) incoming number with VoipCheap.

    It seems that unless you meet / match the exact unknown set of criteria you
    will receive one of the 0560 code incoming numbers rather than (for me at
    least preferable) geographic landline numbers such as 020x. Anyone who knows
    this or anything (else) about this (e.g. which geographic UK [and if you
    know it the same with respect to international numbers] area codes are
    available and how to get these, etc.) any input would be gratefully received
    / much appreciated / is much appreciated.

    Also in respect of incoming numbers does anyone have a clear idea of how the
    different modes / status conditions of a voipcheap users account impact the
    response to callers of an incoming number (e.g. / i.e. logged in /
    registered on their servers and online = phone will ring; ? perhaps not
    logged in = engaged tone or NU [number unobtainable]). If anyone knows about
    the impact of the other options within the VoipCheap softphone (e.g. / i.e.
    Offline, Away, Not Available, etc.) any input would be much appreciated.

    VoipCheap Softphone
    ---

    Is anyone able to confirm the functionality of the status options (similar
    to end of previous question)?

    Is anyone able to advise with respect to the "Speaker" toolbar button /
    speakerphone mode option / switch (e.g. / i.e. how does this work?, does
    anyone have any idea what in practice this actually does [appears to be
    little or nothing]?, etc.)

    Thanks any and all for any and all input (such is much appreciated).

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    P.s. Cross-posted to uk.telecom for the benefit of those {still} without
    access to the uk.telelcom.voip newsgroup.
    News Reader, Dec 8, 2005

  2. Thus spaketh News Reader:

    > Can anyone advise / confirm what the trick is to getting a real
    > geographic (this query is predominantly about the UK but additional
    > information about international numbers is also welcome) incoming
    > number with VoipCheap.
    >
    > It seems that unless you meet / match the exact unknown set of
    > criteria you will receive one of the 0560 code incoming numbers
    > rather than (for me at least preferable) geographic landline numbers
    > such as 020x. Anyone who knows this or anything (else) about this
    > (e.g. which geographic UK [and if you know it the same with respect
    > to international numbers] area codes are available and how to get
    > these, etc.) any input would be gratefully received / much
    > appreciated / is much appreciated.

    I have an 0121 number with VoIPCheap, I know people who have an 020 number
    with them, I am sure someone has posted on here stating they have had a number
    issued from another main city, which one I forget.

    --
    Free phone, 200 x-net minutes each month - one off fee of £49.99 for 12
    months:
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Dec 8, 2005

  3. In article <dn9t1m$mi3$>, News Reader
    <> writes
    >Also in respect of incoming numbers does anyone have a clear idea of
    >how the different modes / status conditions of a voipcheap users
    >account impact the response to callers of an incoming number (e.g. /
    >i.e. logged in / registered on their servers and online = phone will
    >ring; ? perhaps not logged in = engaged tone or NU [number
    >unobtainable]). If anyone knows about the impact of the other options
    >within the VoipCheap softphone (e.g. / i.e. Offline, Away, Not
    >Available, etc.) any input would be much appreciated.

    I think they are mainly for use by VoIP to VoIP services. You could try
    setting the condition then calling from your home phone. When I tried
    with the PC off I got "Number temporarily out of service" or something
    like that.

    >VoipCheap Softphone
    >---
    >
    >Is anyone able to confirm the functionality of the status options
    >(similar to end of previous question)?
    >
    >Is anyone able to advise with respect to the "Speaker" toolbar button /
    >speakerphone mode option / switch (e.g. / i.e. how does this work?,
    >does anyone have any idea what in practice this actually does [appears
    >to be little or nothing]?, etc.)

    I have two sound cards, one built into the mother-board and a separate
    one so I connect speaker and headset to different ones, the button
    switches between them. But last time I used it the volume on the
    headset had dropped to inaudible.
    --
    Peter Pratten
    Please reply in group only
    Peter Pratten, Dec 15, 2005
  4. News Reader

    News Reader Guest

    Thanks :)

    News Reader, Dec 16, 2005
  5. On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 02:37:28 -0000, News Reader could say nothing
    better than:

    >Thanks :)

    One banal line of top posting and then needless quoting the rest of
    the thread - why bother and waste everyone's time?
    dont overquote and add nothing, Dec 16, 2005