    broadband. Sound quality varies a lot, but never as clear as normal
    telephone.

    Is the sound quality on VOIPCHEAP typical of VOIP?

    Tom B, Dec 2, 2005

  2. Tom B wrote:
    > I've been using VOIPCHEAP for a few days to make (free after deposit of
    > UKP5) calls to UK landlines. I'm using headphones and mike, 512k
    > broadband. Sound quality varies a lot, but never as clear as normal
    > telephone.
    >
    > Is the sound quality on VOIPCHEAP typical of VOIP?

    I must admit I have no problems with VOIPCheap and use it for all my UK
    calls sound quality is fine as far as I am concerned, only difference to
    your set-up is that I am on a 2Meg connection.

    --
    Robert Maskill - G4PYR - Peterborough Cambridgeshire
    " People who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it"

    Robert Maskill, Dec 2, 2005

  3. Tom B

    Scope Guest

    Tom B wrote:
    > I've been using VOIPCHEAP for a few days to make (free after deposit of
    > UKP5) calls to UK landlines. I'm using headphones and mike, 512k
    > broadband. Sound quality varies a lot, but never as clear as normal
    > telephone.
    >
    > Is the sound quality on VOIPCHEAP typical of VOIP?

    I think the 512k line might be the problem.. I've been using VoIP for a
    couple of months now, and Im very impressed. Im using an adapter, and
    not headphones, so that might make a slight difference, but if you have
    the right hardware (which isnt expensive) and a decent line (im on 2mb)
    VoIP is very good.. In general anyway.

    Try changing the codec to one of the lighter ones, might make a difference.

    Scope, Dec 2, 2005
  4. Tom B

    Peter Guest

    Scope <> wrote:
    [...]
    > I think the 512k line might be the problem.. I've been using VoIP
    > for a couple of months now, and Im very impressed.

    I used VoIP when I had a 512k line a couple of years ago, and it
    worked just fine. The OP's problem is almost certainly because he's
    using a PC-based softphone and unsuitable mic+speaker arrangement.

    An ATA and a DECT phone make a very good combination.

    --
    He who can does; he who cannot teaches.
    - George Bernard Shaw

    Peter, Dec 2, 2005
  5. Thus spaketh Peter:
    > Scope <> wrote:
    > [...]
    >> I think the 512k line might be the problem.. I've been using VoIP
    >> for a couple of months now, and Im very impressed.

    > I used VoIP when I had a 512k line a couple of years ago, and it
    > worked just fine. The OP's problem is almost certainly because he's
    > using a PC-based softphone and unsuitable mic+speaker arrangement.
    >
    > An ATA and a DECT phone make a very good combination.

    Has anyone managed to get VoIP Cheap to work with an ATA?

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Dec 2, 2005
  6. Tom B

    yamyb100 Guest

    No probs here (using crap mike,speakers and softphone on a old(ish)
    pc).
    2 Mb broadband
    To Poland.

    yamyb100, Dec 3, 2005
  7. Tom B

    News Reader Guest

    Hi,

    If you are using the VoipCheap softphone (software / software phone) if you
    have not changed any of the options, specifically those relating to your
    connection, then it is likely to still be using the configuration / options
    optimised for dial-up users (low bandwidth [i.e. not broadband] users). If
    you change the connection configuration (in the Tools -> Options menu
    window) option from dial-up to high speed internet I believe / understand
    the softphone (VoipCheap phone software) should use options / a
    configuration optimised for high speed internet (e.g. / i.e. broadband /
    etc.) and should consequently provide / ensure higher audio / call quality
    (provided you have the necessary bandwidth!).

    If you are interested: the current [mainstream / predominant] audio systems
    / technologies used (codecs) used in VoIP telephony are generally (and I
    understand / believe specifically as concerns Finarea's operations) GSM for
    low bandwidth / dial-up users (personally I think this is and find this
    excellent [although it will not be / is not as good as a normal landline] -
    it should be equivalent to earlier / old {e.g. perhaps previous /old
    analogue} cellphone / mobile phone quality - it uses ~ 13kbps [a tiny / very
    small fraction of a 512k ADSL / broadband connection / line]) and G.711a/u
    for high(er) bandwidth / broadband users (this [essentially] IS the same as
    the landline system / technology / quality - it uses ~ 64kbps).

    E.g. / i.e. 13kbps out of 512kbps avilable on a 512kbps line // or 64kbps
    out of 512kbps available on a 512kbps line (again actually a pretty small,
    almost tiny, fraction of the total available bandwidth of that / a 512k
    line).

    Thus it is extremely unlikely that a 512k connection is ever likely to be
    the problem / weak link unless it is extremely faulty and this should be
    evidenced in everything you try and use that / the connection for (surfing,
    e-mail, anything, etc.). It is most probably the configuration option /
    issue in the softphone (the VoipCheap software / software phone) [or ....] .

    It may, as one of the other posters suggested, be likely to be a result of
    bad headphones, microphone and / or possibly soundcard (sound system /
    equipment / etc. in / on the computer).

    Hope that helps and for some is possibly at least slightly interesting or
    providing some new information for you [for you some!] (for most I am sure
    this is A B C 's ).

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    ---