VOIPCheap incoming dial tone.

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Nick, Jan 9, 2008.

  1. Nick

    Nick Guest

    I have set up an incoming number with VoipCheap.co.uk. This connects ok.
    However when other people dial this number they do not hear the standard
    British ringing tone. I'm using a Linksys spa3102 but it is the same for
    the software client.

    Is there anyway to fix this. Presumably it is the same for all Betamax
    products like VoipCheap.com (which appears to have free uk calls while
    the .co.uk version doesn't)

    If not are their any recommendations for a voip provider for an incoming
    line. I would like to port my BT number and so I'm concerned about
    reliability (and maybe the need to port out in future). I would be happy
    to pay for a deal with bundled calls like Vonage. Is Vonage reliable?

    I would also be ok with using one provider for incoming calls and
    another for outgoing.
     
    Nick, Jan 9, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Nick

    Jono Guest

    Nick wrote on 09/01/2008 :
    > I have set up an incoming number with VoipCheap.co.uk. This connects ok.
    > However when other people dial this number they do not hear the standard
    > British ringing tone. I'm using a Linksys spa3102 but it is the same for the
    > software client.
    >
    > Is there anyway to fix this.


    Check out this document
    <http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sipura_uk_regional_settings.pdf>

    > Presumably it is the same for all Betamax
    > products like VoipCheap.com (which appears to have free uk calls while the
    > .co.uk version doesn't)


    Ring any of mine & you get UK ring tone.

    > If not are their any recommendations for a voip provider for an incoming
    > line. I would like to port my BT number and so I'm concerned about
    > reliability (and maybe the need to port out in future).


    Are you on cable broadband? If not, you need the PSTN line for ADSL.

    If you're planning on scrapping your BT line, don't forget it often
    costs over £100 to get it reconnected.

    > I would be happy to
    > pay for a deal with bundled calls like Vonage. Is Vonage reliable?


    Damned expensive.

    On the device you have, you could have two incoming providers - BT & a
    VoIP provider. (ignoring your general ability to increase that by using
    something like Voxalot)

    You can have considerably more outgoing providers. Read up on SPA3x0x
    Gateways


    > I would also be ok with using one provider for incoming calls and another for
    > outgoing.
     
    Jono, Jan 9, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jono wrote:
    > Nick wrote on 09/01/2008 :
    >> I have set up an incoming number with VoipCheap.co.uk. This connects
    >> ok. However when other people dial this number they do not hear the
    >> standard British ringing tone. I'm using a Linksys spa3102 but it is
    >> the same for the software client.
    >>
    >> Is there anyway to fix this.

    >
    > Check out this document
    > <http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sipura_uk_regional_settings.pdf>
    >
    >> Presumably it is the same for all Betamax
    >> products like VoipCheap.com (which appears to have free uk calls
    >> while the .co.uk version doesn't)

    >
    > Ring any of mine & you get UK ring tone.
    >
    >> If not are their any recommendations for a voip provider for an
    >> incoming line. I would like to port my BT number and so I'm
    >> concerned about reliability (and maybe the need to port out in
    >> future).

    >
    > Are you on cable broadband? If not, you need the PSTN line for ADSL.
    >
    > If you're planning on scrapping your BT line, don't forget it often
    > costs over £100 to get it reconnected.
    >
    >> I would be happy to
    >> pay for a deal with bundled calls like Vonage. Is Vonage reliable?

    >
    > Damned expensive.
    >
    > On the device you have, you could have two incoming providers - BT & a
    > VoIP provider. (ignoring your general ability to increase that by
    > using something like Voxalot)
    >
    > You can have considerably more outgoing providers. Read up on SPA3x0x
    > Gateways
    >
    >
    >> I would also be ok with using one provider for incoming calls and
    >> another for outgoing.



    Strange on my VoIPStunt line, callers who call my number get the continental
    ringing tone as of all the others I know with Betamax VoIP, yes with the
    settings my own phones ring out correctly and I hear the correct tones when
    ringing out, but using the number issued by betamax then it's the
    continental tone to them, not that anyone's complained other than one or two
    have mentioned it - like the old ringing tone when calling the old analogue
    mobile phones.


    --
    Worried about debt?
    http://www.cccs.co.uk
     
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jan 9, 2008
    #3
  4. Nick

    Jono Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} explained on 09/01/2008 :
    > Jono wrote:
    >> Nick wrote on 09/01/2008 :
    >>> I have set up an incoming number with VoipCheap.co.uk. This connects
    >>> ok. However when other people dial this number they do not hear the
    >>> standard British ringing tone. I'm using a Linksys spa3102 but it is
    >>> the same for the software client.
    >>>
    >>> Is there anyway to fix this.

    >>
    >> Check out this document
    >> <http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sipura_uk_regional_settings.pdf>
    >>
    >>> Presumably it is the same for all Betamax
    >>> products like VoipCheap.com (which appears to have free uk calls
    >>> while the .co.uk version doesn't)

    >>
    >> Ring any of mine & you get UK ring tone.
    >>
    >>> If not are their any recommendations for a voip provider for an
    >>> incoming line. I would like to port my BT number and so I'm
    >>> concerned about reliability (and maybe the need to port out in
    >>> future).

    >>
    >> Are you on cable broadband? If not, you need the PSTN line for ADSL.
    >>
    >> If you're planning on scrapping your BT line, don't forget it often
    >> costs over £100 to get it reconnected.
    >>
    >>> I would be happy to
    >>> pay for a deal with bundled calls like Vonage. Is Vonage reliable?

    >>
    >> Damned expensive.
    >>
    >> On the device you have, you could have two incoming providers - BT & a
    >> VoIP provider. (ignoring your general ability to increase that by
    >> using something like Voxalot)
    >>
    >> You can have considerably more outgoing providers. Read up on SPA3x0x
    >> Gateways
    >>
    >>
    >>> I would also be ok with using one provider for incoming calls and
    >>> another for outgoing.

    >
    >
    > Strange on my VoIPStunt line, callers who call my number get the continental
    > ringing tone as of all the others I know with Betamax VoIP, yes with the
    > settings my own phones ring out correctly and I hear the correct tones when
    > ringing out, but using the number issued by betamax then it's the continental
    > tone to them, not that anyone's complained other than one or two have
    > mentioned it - like the old ringing tone when calling the old analogue mobile
    > phones.


    I have to confess that I do not actually use the ATA directly as I have
    an Astersik server.

    Asterisk handles the SIP providers.

    However, I wasn't fibbing when I said that callers hear UK tones.

    .......again, though, I haven't rung myself for aaaaaages to listen...
     
    Jono, Jan 9, 2008
    #4
  5. Jono wrote:
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} explained on 09/01/2008 :
    >> Jono wrote:
    >>> Nick wrote on 09/01/2008 :
    >>>> I have set up an incoming number with VoipCheap.co.uk. This
    >>>> connects ok. However when other people dial this number they do
    >>>> not hear the standard British ringing tone. I'm using a Linksys
    >>>> spa3102 but it is the same for the software client.
    >>>>
    >>>> Is there anyway to fix this.
    >>>
    >>> Check out this document
    >>> <http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sipura_uk_regional_settings.pdf>
    >>>
    >>>> Presumably it is the same for all Betamax
    >>>> products like VoipCheap.com (which appears to have free uk calls
    >>>> while the .co.uk version doesn't)
    >>>
    >>> Ring any of mine & you get UK ring tone.
    >>>
    >>>> If not are their any recommendations for a voip provider for an
    >>>> incoming line. I would like to port my BT number and so I'm
    >>>> concerned about reliability (and maybe the need to port out in
    >>>> future).
    >>>
    >>> Are you on cable broadband? If not, you need the PSTN line for ADSL.
    >>>
    >>> If you're planning on scrapping your BT line, don't forget it often
    >>> costs over £100 to get it reconnected.
    >>>
    >>>> I would be happy to
    >>>> pay for a deal with bundled calls like Vonage. Is Vonage reliable?
    >>>
    >>> Damned expensive.
    >>>
    >>> On the device you have, you could have two incoming providers - BT
    >>> & a VoIP provider. (ignoring your general ability to increase that
    >>> by using something like Voxalot)
    >>>
    >>> You can have considerably more outgoing providers. Read up on
    >>> SPA3x0x Gateways
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> I would also be ok with using one provider for incoming calls and
    >>>> another for outgoing.

    >>
    >>
    >> Strange on my VoIPStunt line, callers who call my number get the
    >> continental ringing tone as of all the others I know with Betamax
    >> VoIP, yes with the settings my own phones ring out correctly and I
    >> hear the correct tones when ringing out, but using the number issued
    >> by betamax then it's the continental tone to them, not that anyone's
    >> complained other than one or two have mentioned it - like the old
    >> ringing tone when calling the old analogue mobile phones.

    >
    > I have to confess that I do not actually use the ATA directly as I
    > have an Astersik server.
    >
    > Asterisk handles the SIP providers.
    >
    > However, I wasn't fibbing when I said that callers hear UK tones.
    >
    > ......again, though, I haven't rung myself for aaaaaages to listen...



    Strange though, no I didn't think you were fibbing.


    --
    Worried about debt?
    http://www.cccs.co.uk
     
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jan 9, 2008
    #5
  6. In article <478498dc$0$21100$>,
    Nick <> wrote:
    >
    >I have set up an incoming number with VoipCheap.co.uk. This connects ok.
    >However when other people dial this number they do not hear the standard
    >British ringing tone. I'm using a Linksys spa3102 but it is the same for
    >the software client.
    >
    >Is there anyway to fix this. Presumably it is the same for all Betamax
    >products like VoipCheap.com (which appears to have free uk calls while
    >the .co.uk version doesn't)
    >
    >If not are their any recommendations for a voip provider for an incoming
    >line. I would like to port my BT number and so I'm concerned about
    >reliability (and maybe the need to port out in future). I would be happy
    >to pay for a deal with bundled calls like Vonage. Is Vonage reliable?


    Do you have a cable broadband?

    If not, and you are running ADSL over your current BT line then this
    service will cease when you port the number... In theory, you can
    have a new number provisioned on the line, but it's effectively a new
    contract, and is prone to having BT pull the plug on the line anyway
    (as an associate of mine found out this week)

    Gordon
     
    Gordon Henderson, Jan 9, 2008
    #6
  7. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > Nick wrote on 09/01/2008 :
    >> I have set up an incoming number with VoipCheap.co.uk. This connects
    >> ok. However when other people dial this number they do not hear the
    >> standard British ringing tone. I'm using a Linksys spa3102 but it is
    >> the same for the software client.
    >>
    >> Is there anyway to fix this.

    >
    > Check out this document
    > <http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sipura_uk_regional_settings.pdf>
    >


    Yes I have studied this document. But I'm uncertain what this tone is
    called (as you can see form the subject line ;o). Presumably "Ringing
    tone"?. I can't find any match in the 3102 settings.

    I'm not even sure the 3102 generates the ringing tone, when I switched
    to sipgate the ringing tone is the standard UK version.


    >> Presumably it is the same for all Betamax products like VoipCheap.com
    >> (which appears to have free uk calls while the .co.uk version doesn't)

    >
    > Ring any of mine & you get UK ring tone.
    >
    >> If not are their any recommendations for a voip provider for an
    >> incoming line. I would like to port my BT number and so I'm concerned
    >> about reliability (and maybe the need to port out in future).

    >
    > Are you on cable broadband? If not, you need the PSTN line for ADSL.
    >
    > If you're planning on scrapping your BT line, don't forget it often
    > costs over £100 to get it reconnected.
    >


    Due to the poor quality of my BT line (poor voice and ADSL loses sync)
    I'm giving VirginMedia cable a try. If VirginMedia cable is OK I will
    drop my BT line. I can't see my BT line getting any better before the
    21cn pstn rollout which isn't scheduled at my exchange for over two years.


    >> I would be happy to pay for a deal with bundled calls like Vonage. Is
    >> Vonage reliable?

    >
    > Damned expensive.
    >


    If it is reliable, 7.99 a month would be ok for unlimited calls, call
    divert, voicemail to email etc...


    > On the device you have, you could have two incoming providers - BT & a
    > VoIP provider. (ignoring your general ability to increase that by using
    > something like Voxalot)
    >
    > You can have considerably more outgoing providers. Read up on SPA3x0x
    > Gateways
    >


    Yes I have being playing with gateways. I can get VoipCheap working as a
    gateway but can't get the Caller Id spoofing working when in this mode.

    Thanks for your help.

    >
    >> I would also be ok with using one provider for incoming calls and
    >> another for outgoing.

    >
    >
     
    Nick, Jan 9, 2008
    #7
  8. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > In article <478498dc$0$21100$>,
    > Nick <> wrote:
    >> I have set up an incoming number with VoipCheap.co.uk. This connects ok.
    >> However when other people dial this number they do not hear the standard
    >> British ringing tone. I'm using a Linksys spa3102 but it is the same for
    >> the software client.
    >>
    >> Is there anyway to fix this. Presumably it is the same for all Betamax
    >> products like VoipCheap.com (which appears to have free uk calls while
    >> the .co.uk version doesn't)
    >>
    >> If not are their any recommendations for a voip provider for an incoming
    >> line. I would like to port my BT number and so I'm concerned about
    >> reliability (and maybe the need to port out in future). I would be happy
    >> to pay for a deal with bundled calls like Vonage. Is Vonage reliable?

    >
    > Do you have a cable broadband?
    >


    I'm trying out cable which is why I want to port.

    > If not, and you are running ADSL over your current BT line then this
    > service will cease when you port the number... In theory, you can
    > have a new number provisioned on the line, but it's effectively a new
    > contract, and is prone to having BT pull the plug on the line anyway
    > (as an associate of mine found out this week)
    >


    They said they could give me a new number and it would then be OK to
    port. But if it were a test of who to trust I suspect I would be leaning
    towards your view ;o)


    > Gordon
     
    Nick, Jan 9, 2008
    #8
  9. In article <47852586$0$8411$>,
    Nick <> wrote:
    >Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >
    >I'm trying out cable which is why I want to port.
    >
    >> If not, and you are running ADSL over your current BT line then this
    >> service will cease when you port the number... In theory, you can
    >> have a new number provisioned on the line, but it's effectively a new
    >> contract, and is prone to having BT pull the plug on the line anyway
    >> (as an associate of mine found out this week)
    >>

    >
    >They said they could give me a new number and it would then be OK to
    >port. But if it were a test of who to trust I suspect I would be leaning
    >towards your view ;o)


    In this case, BT actually assigned a new number to the line and the
    broadband kept on going, and the old number was ported into a VoIP
    service and all was fine ... For 2 weeks. Then the ADSL ceased, and it
    took them a week to get it live again. (I don't know who the ISP is,
    this wasn't one of my clients)

    Gordon
     
    Gordon Henderson, Jan 9, 2008
    #9
  10. Nick

    Jono Guest

    Nick formulated the question :
    > Yes I have being playing with gateways. I can get VoipCheap working as a
    > gateway but can't get the Caller Id spoofing working when in this mode.


    Courtesy of Mike Sun:

    Instead of entering just e.g. sip.voipcheap.com enter
    [phone-number]@sip.voipcheap.com where [phone-number] is one of your
    registered numbers with the provider. Thus one is effectively entering
    both "User ID" and "Auth ID" in the Gateway setup.

    (presumably you leave the [] brackets off)

    You may also have to play around with the number - try 01xxxxxxxxx
    format and 00441xxxxxxxxx etc.
     
    Jono, Jan 9, 2008
    #10
  11. Nick

    Graham. Guest


    >> Check out this document
    >> <http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sipura_uk_regional_settings.pdf>
    >>

    >
    > Yes I have studied this document. But I'm uncertain what this tone is
    > called (as you can see form the subject line ;o). Presumably "Ringing
    > tone"?. I can't find any match in the 3102 settings.



    Well, the last time I commented on this vis. what calling party hears when
    the called party phone is ringing, Jock Mackirdy disagreed and the
    redoubtable Brian {Hamilton Kelly}called me an ill-educated fuckwit.
    The answer is Ring back as on the first page.
    (Most people just call it ringing tone)
    *Not to be confused with BT Ring Back* (see the second page)
    BT Ring Back is the ringing cadence of 3 short rings followed by
    a long pause used to indicate an engaged line is now free after
    pressing 5 during the engaged tone.

    --
    Graham

    %Profound_observation%
     
    Graham., Jan 9, 2008
    #11
  12. Graham. wrote:
    >>> Check out this document
    >>> <http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/sipura_uk_regional_settings.pdf>
    >>>

    >>
    >> Yes I have studied this document. But I'm uncertain what this tone is
    >> called (as you can see form the subject line ;o). Presumably "Ringing
    >> tone"?. I can't find any match in the 3102 settings.

    >
    >
    > Well, the last time I commented on this vis. what calling party hears
    > when the called party phone is ringing, Jock Mackirdy disagreed and
    > the redoubtable Brian {Hamilton Kelly}called me an ill-educated
    > fuckwit. The answer is Ring back as on the first page.
    > (Most people just call it ringing tone)
    > *Not to be confused with BT Ring Back* (see the second page)
    > BT Ring Back is the ringing cadence of 3 short rings followed by
    > a long pause used to indicate an engaged line is now free after
    > pressing 5 during the engaged tone.



    On my PAP2 I have the correct UK Ring Back tone, however this has no affect
    on what people calling my number hears, what I've read it is meant to affect
    is what I hear when I call another VoIP user and my device has to then
    generate the ring-back tone.


    --
    Worried about debt?
    http://www.cccs.co.uk
     
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jan 9, 2008
    #12
  13. Nick

    Graham. Guest


    >
    > On my PAP2 I have the correct UK Ring Back tone, however this has no
    > affect on what people calling my number hears, what I've read it is meant
    > to affect is what I hear when I call another VoIP user and my device has
    > to then generate the ring-back tone.


    This is my experience too, and it's the same with the softphone.
    However, when I had the account registered on my Asterisk
    box it would ring once with a 'continental' tone then change
    to a UK one. I confess I didn't really investigate why this
    was happening, anyone else seen that?


    --
    Graham

    %Profound_observation%
     
    Graham., Jan 9, 2008
    #13
  14. Nick

    Linus Surguy Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote:
    >> On my PAP2 I have the correct UK Ring Back tone, however this has no
    >> affect on what people calling my number hears, what I've read it is meant
    >> to affect is what I hear when I call another VoIP user and my device has
    >> to then generate the ring-back tone.

    >
    >This is my experience too, and it's the same with the softphone.
    >However, when I had the account registered on my Asterisk
    >box it would ring once with a 'continental' tone then change
    >to a UK one. I confess I didn't really investigate why this
    >was happening, anyone else seen that?


    Probably because in your /etc/asterisk/indications.conf the defaultzone was not
    set to uk.

    If you had Ring() in your extensions.conf and/or a device sent back a 180
    ringing message first, then Asterisk would generate dialtone. When Asterisk
    passed it to the phone, that might then have generated a 183 Session Progress
    with the correct tone encoded in the media path. Or any other variations on the
    same theme.

    Linus



    --
    Linus Surguy - Magrathea Telecommunications Ltd. Wholesale and retail telephone
    services. www.magrathea-telecom.co.uk www.uknumber.co.uk www.callthrough.co.uk
    Looking for VoIP ? We're the largest wholesale numbering supplier in the UK!
     
    Linus Surguy, Jan 10, 2008
    #14
  15. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > Nick formulated the question :
    >> Yes I have being playing with gateways. I can get VoipCheap working as
    >> a gateway but can't get the Caller Id spoofing working when in this
    >> mode.

    >
    > Courtesy of Mike Sun:
    >
    > Instead of entering just e.g. sip.voipcheap.com enter
    > [phone-number]@sip.voipcheap.com where [phone-number] is one of your
    > registered numbers with the provider. Thus one is effectively entering
    > both "User ID" and "Auth ID" in the Gateway setup.
    >
    > (presumably you leave the [] brackets off)
    >
    > You may also have to play around with the number - try 01xxxxxxxxx
    > format and 00441xxxxxxxxx etc.
    >
    >

    Cool, worked first time for 00442xxxxxxxx.

    Thanks to you and Mike.
     
    Nick, Jan 10, 2008
    #15
  16. Nick

    reliable Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 19:46:17 +0000, Nick wrote:

    >Jono wrote:
    >> Nick wrote on 09/01/2008 :


    >>> I would be happy to pay for a deal with bundled calls like Vonage. Is
    >>> Vonage reliable?

    >>
    >> Damned expensive.
    >>

    >
    >If it is reliable, 7.99 a month would be ok for unlimited calls, call
    >divert, voicemail to email etc...


    I believe the "damned expensive" is either a gross overstatement or
    based on lack of understanding of what's on offer. I have used it for
    a couple of years and find it extremely reliable and by far the best
    VoIP service I have used. £7.99 / month for me is a bargain when it
    allows me to call 13 counties - unlimited calls to landlines. I can
    only assume that Jono either:
    - hasn't used it
    - has no need to call the countries which are bundled
    - isn't aware of (or has no need of) the many features included in the
    standard package.

    I've used several other VoIP services and prefer Vonage for a
    hassle-free excellent service.
     
    reliable, Jan 10, 2008
    #16
  17. Nick

    Jono Guest

    reliable expressed precisely :
    > On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 19:46:17 +0000, Nick wrote:
    >
    >> Jono wrote:
    >>> Nick wrote on 09/01/2008 :

    >
    >>>> I would be happy to pay for a deal with bundled calls like Vonage. Is
    >>>> Vonage reliable?
    >>>
    >>> Damned expensive.
    >>>

    >>
    >> If it is reliable, 7.99 a month would be ok for unlimited calls, call
    >> divert, voicemail to email etc...

    >
    > I believe the "damned expensive" is either a gross overstatement or
    > based on lack of understanding of what's on offer. I have used it for
    > a couple of years and find it extremely reliable and by far the best
    > VoIP service I have used. £7.99 / month for me is a bargain when it
    > allows me to call 13 counties - unlimited calls to landlines. I can
    > only assume that Jono either:
    > - hasn't used it


    True.

    > - has no need to call the countries which are bundled


    Probably true.

    > - isn't aware of (or has no need of) the many features included in the
    > standard package.


    Not true.

    Also, you could have made another assumption - than 8 quid a month is
    much more than I pay in calls & rental charges to a not insignificant
    number of other providers, combinations of which (currently) provide me
    with more flexibility, for a lower cost than Vonage's package would
    provide.

    I do take your point though, and admit to being a little flippant when
    I said it ;-)



    > I've used several other VoIP services and prefer Vonage for a
    > hassle-free excellent service.


    That does have a value, of course.
     
    Jono, Jan 10, 2008
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Voipcheap incoming number

    , Dec 8, 2005, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,136
    Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd
    Dec 8, 2005
  2. John DH

    Dial voipcheap from dial plan

    John DH, Feb 1, 2006, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    2,717
    John DH
    Feb 1, 2006
  3. voipuser
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    594
    voipuser
    Aug 5, 2006
  4. Paul
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,299
  5. News Reader
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    655
    News Reader
    Nov 26, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page