VOIPCheap CLI

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Graham, Dec 27, 2005.

  1. Graham

    Graham Guest

    I got a geographic number from VOIPCheap and they assigned me 0161-700 xxxx

    I thought that was pretty cool because I live in North Manchester, and my
    landline number begins with 0161-7, as do most lines around here.

    Some other facts about this number:

    BT Caller display reports it as unavailable but

    1471 reports the number in full, but as an international call

    Dialing the number from my landline gives continental style ringback

    It is not a 'protected' number that requires an FQN; I can just dial the
    last 7 digits.

    Does everyone get a Manchester number from VOIPCheap?

    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham, Dec 27, 2005

  2. Thus spaketh Graham:
    > I got a geographic number from VOIPCheap and they assigned me
    > 0161-700 xxxx
    > I thought that was pretty cool because I live in North Manchester,
    > and my landline number begins with 0161-7, as do most lines around
    > here.
    >

    > Some other facts about this number:
    >
    > BT Caller display reports it as unavailable but
    >
    > 1471 reports the number in full, but as an international call
    >
    > Dialing the number from my landline gives continental style ringback
    >
    > It is not a 'protected' number that requires an FQN; I can just dial
    > the last 7 digits.
    >

    > Does everyone get a Manchester number from VOIPCheap?
    >

    > Graham.
    >

    > %Profound_observation%

    It does occasionally send the number in international format, when people who
    use VoIP Cheap calls myself, it displays the full international number on my
    Caller ID, as I only use VoIP.

    You can indeed just use the local number to call your VoIP Cheap number.

    Yes, when calling it, it rings in the continental style, not a problem to me,

    No, everyone doesn't get a Manchester number, I have a Birmingham 0121 660
    number, others have London 020 numbers, some people who aren't in an area they
    VoIP Cheap have numbers for get a 0560 VoIP number.

    --
    For £5 when referred to easyMobile contact me via
    http://www.south-east-birmingham.tk
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Dec 27, 2005

  3. Graham

    Graham Guest

    > No, everyone doesn't get a Manchester number, I have a Birmingham 0121 660
    > number, others have London 020 numbers, some people who aren't in an area

    they
    > VoIP Cheap have numbers for get a 0560 VoIP number.

    Which rather begs the question: How did they know that I am in Manchester
    and you are in Birmingham?

    Actually, thinking about this further, there is a way they might have
    guessed.
    Most of the calls I made before parting with my GBP5 (that cut off after 1
    Min) were to my own landline.
    Another odd thing is before you put money in the account, you can dial a UK
    number in national format, but afterwards you have to use international
    format.

    Incidentally my Sipgate number is 0161-660 XXXX

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham, Dec 27, 2005
  4. Graham

    Sunil Sood Guest

    "Graham" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Which rather begs the question: How did they know that I am in Manchester
    > and you are in Birmingham?

    You gave them your name and address when you signed up/purchased credit?

    Regards
    Sunil
    Sunil Sood, Dec 27, 2005
  5. Graham

    Graham Guest

    >> Which rather begs the question: How did they know that I am in
    >> Manchester
    >> and you are in Birmingham?

    > You gave them your name and address when you signed up/purchased credit?
    >
    > Regards
    > Sunil

    It was by PayPal.
    I have never been on the receiving end of a PP transaction, would they get
    my address?

    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham, Dec 27, 2005
  6. Graham

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Graham" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > It was by PayPal.
    > I have never been on the receiving end of a PP
    > transaction, would they get my address?
    >
    > Graham.

    Yes, unless you specifically blocked it, it's set to be sent by default
    when you make a payment.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 27, 2005
  7. Thus spaketh Graham:
    >> No, everyone doesn't get a Manchester number, I have a Birmingham
    >> 0121 660 number, others have London 020 numbers, some people who
    >> aren't in an area they VoIP Cheap have numbers for get a 0560 VoIP
    >> number.

    > Which rather begs the question: How did they know that I am in
    > Manchester and you are in Birmingham?
    >
    > Actually, thinking about this further, there is a way they might have
    > guessed.
    > Most of the calls I made before parting with my GBP5 (that cut off
    > after 1 Min) were to my own landline.
    > Another odd thing is before you put money in the account, you can
    > dial a UK number in national format, but afterwards you have to use
    > international format.
    >
    > Incidentally my Sipgate number is 0161-660 XXXX

    My Sipgate number is 0121 314 nnnn
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Dec 27, 2005
  8. On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:46:24 GMT, {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

    >My Sipgate number is 0121 314 nnnn

    My Sipgate number is 0131 516 xxxx

    Bottoms up!!
    0131 516 xxxx, Dec 27, 2005
  9. Thus spaketh 0131 516 xxxx:
    > On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:46:24 GMT, {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >
    >> My Sipgate number is 0121 314 nnnn

    > My Sipgate number is 0131 516 xxxx
    >
    > Bottoms up!!

    Don't think I'll bother listing all my other Sipgate numbers I have from
    around the UK.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Dec 28, 2005
  10. Graham

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    wrote in message
    > Thus spaketh 0131 516 xxxx:
    > > On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:46:24 GMT, {{{{{Welcome}}}}}
    > > wrote:
    > > > My Sipgate number is 0121 314 nnnn

    > > My Sipgate number is 0131 516 xxxx
    > >
    > > Bottoms up!!

    > Don't think I'll bother listing all my other Sipgate
    > numbers I have from around the UK.

    How do you dial the x's ;-)

    BTW my speaking clock on Sipgate 1431320 (020 7043 1320) is feeling a bit
    neglected, give it a call..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 28, 2005
  11. "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > BTW my speaking clock on Sipgate 1431320 (020 7043 1320) is feeling a bit
    > neglected, give it a call..!

    It seems to be a little fast.
    Well a half a second or so anyway.

    --

    Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

    To email me remove the letter vee.
    Brian Gregory [UK], Dec 29, 2005
  12. Graham

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian Gregory [UK]" <> wrote in message
    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > > BTW my speaking clock on Sipgate 1431320 (020 7043
    > > 1320) is feeling a bit neglected, give it a call..!

    > It seems to be a little fast.
    > Well a half a second or so anyway.

    It's synchronised to MSF so it shouldn't be. It agrees with my wall
    mounted MSF clock and the PC clock that's synchronised to an NTP server,
    so maybe there's a delay in the phone call somewhere. What were you
    dialling from, Sipgate, PSTN or other VoIP network..?

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 29, 2005