VOIPcheap and PAP2 configuration

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Stan, Dec 9, 2006.

  1. Stan

    Stan Guest

    I have signed up with VOIPcheap, and want now to set up my PAPT2 for
    outgoing SIP calls on the service. I have their instructions for doing
    this, but am having difficulty in correlating them with what I see in
    the PAPT2 configuration screen of the browser interface, as follows:

    1) Username -- What username is this? I don't see any such item in the
    configuration screens.

    2) Password -- I see places to enter <User password> and <Admin
    password>; I am assuming that VOIPcheap wants the latter, and that I
    can leave <User password> blank.

    3) SIP/Proxy registrar -- PAPT2 does not know this term. There is a
    blank for <Proxy>; does it want a proxy name or a registrar name?

    Evidently, VOIPcheap is not going to provision the device in anyway,
    so that I'm assuming that <Provision enable> is to be turned off.
    Presumably <Upgrade enable> refers to firmware upgrades, if any, but
    it is not clear if this is for the remote use of a provider or for the
    user who has himself downloaded an update; I'm assuming that this too
    should be turned off.

    There are options such as <Caller ID method> which must depend on the
    standards of the local telco, and that I must consult with them for
    answers (I do not want to bet on my chances of getting such
    information). If someone knows about a source that defines these
    parameters for various countries, I hope he will offer a pointer to
    it.

    In addition to the above, I am flummoxed by many of the
    non-intuitively named options for the device. The PAP2T came without
    any information on that level; is there somewhere that defines them?
    Stan, Dec 9, 2006

  2. Thus spaketh Stan:
    > I have signed up with VOIPcheap, and want now to set up my PAPT2 for
    > outgoing SIP calls on the service. I have their instructions for doing
    > this, but am having difficulty in correlating them with what I see in
    > the PAPT2 configuration screen of the browser interface, as follows:
    >
    > 1) Username -- What username is this? I don't see any such item in the
    > configuration screens.
    >
    > 2) Password -- I see places to enter <User password> and <Admin
    > password>; I am assuming that VOIPcheap wants the latter, and that I
    > can leave <User password> blank.
    >
    > 3) SIP/Proxy registrar -- PAPT2 does not know this term. There is a
    > blank for <Proxy>; does it want a proxy name or a registrar name?
    >
    > Evidently, VOIPcheap is not going to provision the device in anyway,
    > so that I'm assuming that <Provision enable> is to be turned off.
    > Presumably <Upgrade enable> refers to firmware upgrades, if any, but
    > it is not clear if this is for the remote use of a provider or for the
    > user who has himself downloaded an update; I'm assuming that this too
    > should be turned off.

    Yes, keep it turned off.

    > There are options such as <Caller ID method> which must depend on the
    > standards of the local telco, and that I must consult with them for
    > answers (I do not want to bet on my chances of getting such
    > information). If someone knows about a source that defines these
    > parameters for various countries, I hope he will offer a pointer to
    > it.
    >
    > In addition to the above, I am flummoxed by many of the
    > non-intuitively named options for the device. The PAP2T came without
    > any information on that level; is there somewhere that defines them?

    Along the top with be Line 1 and Line 2, if you click on one of them,
    you will then find User ID and password.

    Also proxy: where you enter sip.voipcheap.com if using the .com
    version of VoIPCheap or sip.voipcheap.co.uk if using the .UK version
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Dec 9, 2006

  3. Stan

    Stan Guest

    On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 11:48:53 UTC, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> opined:
    > Thus spaketh Stan:
    > > I have signed up with VOIPcheap, and want now to set up my PAPT2 for
    > > outgoing SIP calls on the service. I have their instructions for doing
    > > this, but am having difficulty in correlating them with what I see in
    > > the PAPT2 configuration screen of the browser interface, as follows:
    > >
    > > 1) Username -- What username is this? I don't see any such item in the
    > > configuration screens.
    > >
    > > 2) Password -- I see places to enter <User password> and <Admin
    > > password>; I am assuming that VOIPcheap wants the latter, and that I
    > > can leave <User password> blank.
    > >
    > > 3) SIP/Proxy registrar -- PAPT2 does not know this term. There is a
    > > blank for <Proxy>; does it want a proxy name or a registrar name?
    > >
    > > Evidently, VOIPcheap is not going to provision the device in anyway,
    > > so that I'm assuming that <Provision enable> is to be turned off.
    > > Presumably <Upgrade enable> refers to firmware upgrades, if any, but
    > > it is not clear if this is for the remote use of a provider or for the
    > > user who has himself downloaded an update; I'm assuming that this too
    > > should be turned off.

    > Yes, keep it turned off.
    >

    > > There are options such as <Caller ID method> which must depend on the
    > > standards of the local telco, and that I must consult with them for
    > > answers (I do not want to bet on my chances of getting such
    > > information). If someone knows about a source that defines these
    > > parameters for various countries, I hope he will offer a pointer to
    > > it.
    > >
    > > In addition to the above, I am flummoxed by many of the
    > > non-intuitively named options for the device. The PAP2T came without
    > > any information on that level; is there somewhere that defines them?

    > Along the top with be Line 1 and Line 2, if you click on one of them,
    > you will then find User ID and password.

    Yes. After entering these and saving, I now find that the 8-character
    password I entered is now represented by thirteen asterisks, which
    seems very strange. I've tried this several times with the same
    result. It can't be right.

    Also, I have three times set the date and time, but these settings do
    not survive closing the screen and reopening it; the Information
    screen tell me that we are still in 2003. What is happening?

    Where is <Domain>? The only such option I find is grouped with such
    items as the IP address and mask and the Gateway, leading me to
    believe that the intent is to the local domain. If this is the place
    they want me to put the "Domain/Realm"? Admittedly this is optional;
    but I have my local domain name there (what Windows calls "Workgroup",
    I think).

    But I am not getting a dialtone when I lift the handset. Or is there
    something else that I have to do to activate the ability to make SIP
    calls?

    Except for <Domain>, which is optional, ALL the entries in their
    published list are in place:

    Username -- the one that gets me into their website
    Password -- ditto
    Proxy -- sip.voipcheam.com
    STUN server -- stun.voipcheap.com

    > Also proxy: where you enter sip.voipcheap.com if using the .com
    > version of VoIPCheap or sip.voipcheap.co.uk if using the .UK version

    Yes, I had that. For the record, I am using voipcheap.com, and I _am_
    registered. The analog telephone is plugged into the <Line 1> jack,
    and Line 1 is the one that I am configuring. The PAP2T's two rightmost
    LEDs are illuminated. Neither of the other two lights, even when I
    lift the handset.
    Stan, Dec 9, 2006
  4. Thus spaketh Stan:
    > On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 11:48:53 UTC, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    > <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> opined:
    >> Thus spaketh Stan:
    >>> I have signed up with VOIPcheap, and want now to set up my PAPT2 for
    >>> outgoing SIP calls on the service. I have their instructions for
    >>> doing this, but am having difficulty in correlating them with what
    >>> I see in the PAPT2 configuration screen of the browser interface,
    >>> as follows:
    >>>
    >>> 1) Username -- What username is this? I don't see any such item in
    >>> the configuration screens.
    >>>
    >>> 2) Password -- I see places to enter <User password> and <Admin
    >>> password>; I am assuming that VOIPcheap wants the latter, and that I
    >>> can leave <User password> blank.
    >>>
    >>> 3) SIP/Proxy registrar -- PAPT2 does not know this term. There is a
    >>> blank for <Proxy>; does it want a proxy name or a registrar name?
    >>>
    >>> Evidently, VOIPcheap is not going to provision the device in anyway,
    >>> so that I'm assuming that <Provision enable> is to be turned off.
    >>> Presumably <Upgrade enable> refers to firmware upgrades, if any, but
    >>> it is not clear if this is for the remote use of a provider or for
    >>> the user who has himself downloaded an update; I'm assuming that
    >>> this too should be turned off.

    >> Yes, keep it turned off.
    >>

    >>> There are options such as <Caller ID method> which must depend on
    >>> the standards of the local telco, and that I must consult with them
    >>> for answers (I do not want to bet on my chances of getting such
    >>> information). If someone knows about a source that defines these
    >>> parameters for various countries, I hope he will offer a pointer to
    >>> it.
    >>>
    >>> In addition to the above, I am flummoxed by many of the
    >>> non-intuitively named options for the device. The PAP2T came without
    >>> any information on that level; is there somewhere that defines them?

    >> Along the top with be Line 1 and Line 2, if you click on one of them,
    >> you will then find User ID and password.

    > Yes. After entering these and saving, I now find that the 8-character
    > password I entered is now represented by thirteen asterisks, which
    > seems very strange. I've tried this several times with the same
    > result. It can't be right.

    Yeah, that's right, like many it doesn't display the same number of * as
    the number of characters in the password, it's so people don't have a
    clue how many chars you have in your password and help them to work it
    out.

    > Also, I have three times set the date and time, but these settings do
    > not survive closing the screen and reopening it; the Information
    > screen tell me that we are still in 2003. What is happening?

    When I've entered the date and time, once saved and you go back in the
    entries are blank, but the PAP2 remembers the correct date and time.

    Daylight Saving Time Rule:
    start=3/-1/7/2:0:0;end=10/-1/7/2:0:0;save=1:0:0

    > Where is <Domain>? The only such option I find is grouped with such
    > items as the IP address and mask and the Gateway, leading me to
    > believe that the intent is to the local domain. If this is the place
    > they want me to put the "Domain/Realm"? Admittedly this is optional;
    > but I have my local domain name there (what Windows calls "Workgroup",
    > I think).
    >
    > But I am not getting a dialtone when I lift the handset. Or is there
    > something else that I have to do to activate the ability to make SIP
    > calls?
    >
    > Except for <Domain>, which is optional, ALL the entries in their
    > published list are in place:
    >
    > Username -- the one that gets me into their website
    > Password -- ditto
    > Proxy -- sip.voipcheam.com
    > STUN server -- stun.voipcheap.com

    Line Enable: YES

    SIP Port: 5060

    Username -- VoIPCheap Username
    Password -- VoIPCheap Password
    Proxy -- sip.voipcheap.com
    STUN server -- stun.voipcheap.com

    Use Auth ID: NO

    >> Also proxy: where you enter sip.voipcheap.com if using the .com
    >> version of VoIPCheap or sip.voipcheap.co.uk if using the .UK version

    > Yes, I had that. For the record, I am using voipcheap.com, and I _am_
    > registered. The analog telephone is plugged into the <Line 1> jack,
    > and Line 1 is the one that I am configuring. The PAP2T's two rightmost
    > LEDs are illuminated. Neither of the other two lights, even when I
    > lift the handset.

    Ensure VoIPCheap software isn't running.

    There are other settings that will need changing for reginal variations,
    but they can be done once up and running.

    The PAP2 is a great device, however it does allow for a lot of
    customisation, which I believe is good, but maybe a headache for those
    new to such devices, it was this customisation that sold it to me.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Dec 9, 2006
  5. Stan

    Guest

    On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 13:59:20 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"

    >Use Auth ID: NO

    I don't think this makes any difference yes or no I have mine checked
    yes and it still works fine.
    , Dec 9, 2006
  6. Thus spaketh :
    > On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 13:59:20 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    > <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >> Use Auth ID: NO

    > I don't think this makes any difference yes or no I have mine checked
    > yes and it still works fine.

    It will work if you have the user ID also set in Auth ID too.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Dec 9, 2006
  7. Stan

    Guest

    On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 14:33:41 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"

    >Thus spaketh :
    >> On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 13:59:20 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    >> <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Use Auth ID: NO

    >> I don't think this makes any difference yes or no I have mine checked
    >> yes and it still works fine.

    >It will work if you have the user ID also set in Auth ID too.

    That explains it then, I have .
    , Dec 9, 2006
  8. Stan

    Stan Guest

    On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 13:59:20 UTC, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> opined:
    > Thus spaketh Stan:
    > > On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 11:48:53 UTC, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    > > <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> opined:
    > >> Thus spaketh Stan:

    > >> Yes, keep it turned off.

    > >> Along the top with be Line 1 and Line 2, if you click on one of them,
    > >> you will then find User ID and password.

    > > Yes. After entering these and saving, I now find that the 8-character
    > > password I entered is now represented by thirteen asterisks, which
    > > seems very strange. I've tried this several times with the same
    > > result. It can't be right.
    > >

    > Yeah, that's right, like many it doesn't display the same number of * as
    > the number of characters in the password, it's so people don't have a
    > clue how many chars you have in your password and help them to work it
    > out.

    I have never seen this before, but now that I know that it's normal
    for this device, so be it.

    > > Also, I have three times set the date and time, but these settings do
    > > not survive closing the screen and reopening it; the Information
    > > screen tell me that we are still in 2003. What is happening?
    > >

    > When I've entered the date and time, once saved and you go back in the
    > entries are blank, but the PAP2 remembers the correct date and time.

    I see what happened. I had entered the date as dd/mm/yy, which is what
    the page says it wants. It caught the day and month correctly, but not
    the year. It is keeping time correctly, but thinks it is 2003. Two
    letters for year means to me that "06" should have done it, but
    apparently it wants all four digits.

    > Daylight Saving Time Rule:
    > start=3/-1/7/2:0:0;end=10/-1/7/2:0:0;save=1:0:0

    I didn't set a rule for that, because it will be wrong in any case.
    One hour off in warm weather doesn't really bother me.

    > > Where is <Domain>? The only such option I find is grouped with such
    > > items as the IP address and mask and the Gateway, leading me to
    > > believe that the intent is to the local domain. If this is the place
    > > they want me to put the "Domain/Realm"? Admittedly this is optional;
    > > but I have my local domain name there (what Windows calls "Workgroup",
    > > I think).
    > >
    > > But I am not getting a dialtone when I lift the handset. Or is there
    > > something else that I have to do to activate the ability to make SIP
    > > calls?
    > >
    > > Except for <Domain>, which is optional, ALL the entries in their
    > > published list are in place:
    > >
    > > Username -- the one that gets me into their website
    > > Password -- ditto
    > > Proxy -- sip.voipcheam.com
    > > STUN server -- stun.voipcheap.com
    > >

    > Line Enable: YES
    >
    > SIP Port: 5060

    These two are the defaults, and I have left them alone.

    > Username -- VoIPCheap Username
    > Password -- VoIPCheap Password
    > Proxy -- sip.voipcheap.com
    > STUN server -- stun.voipcheap.com

    That's what is there. (The misspellilng in the Proxy name is a typo in
    the posting.)

    > Use Auth ID: NO

    That's the default, and I didn't change it.

    > >> Also proxy: where you enter sip.voipcheap.com if using the .com
    > >> version of VoIPCheap or sip.voipcheap.co.uk if using the .UK version

    > > Yes, I had that. For the record, I am using voipcheap.com, and I _am_
    > > registered. The analog telephone is plugged into the <Line 1> jack,
    > > and Line 1 is the one that I am configuring. The PAP2T's two rightmost
    > > LEDs are illuminated. Neither of the other two lights, even when I
    > > lift the handset.

    > Ensure VoIPCheap software isn't running.

    It can't run; I am not using a Windows machine.

    > There are other settings that will need changing for reginal variations,
    > but they can be done once up and running.
    >
    > The PAP2 is a great device, however it does allow for a lot of
    > customisation, which I believe is good, but maybe a headache for those
    > new to such devices, it was this customisation that sold it to me.

    I agree with you that flexibility is A Good Thing, and I hope to be
    able to make use of it with this device. But the question right now
    is, why am I not getting a dialtone?

    Now another problem has cropped up, probably connected with the above.
    Opening the configuration screens on the browser shows me only the
    Info tab, and none of the tabs are highlighted. I see this on two
    machines, so evidently I have done something to exclude myself from
    the configuration. How can I get out of this? I assume I have to
    restore the entire default configuration, and begin again. How to do
    that?
    Stan, Dec 9, 2006
  9. Stan

    Graham Guest

    > Username -- the one that gets me into their website
    > Password -- ditto
    > Proxy -- sip.voipcheam.com
    > STUN server -- stun.voipcheap.com
    >
    >> Also proxy: where you enter sip.voipcheap.com if using the .com
    >> version of VoIPCheap or sip.voipcheap.co.uk if using the .UK version

    Can you do it that way now?
    When I set up my Asterisk box for voipcheap.co.uk and voipcheap.com
    I had to use sip.voipSTUNT.co.uk for both services.
    Thats still the way its set up.

    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham, Dec 9, 2006
  10. Stan

    Stan Guest

    On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 16:03:01 UTC, "Stan" <>
    opined:
    > On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 13:59:20 UTC, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    > <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> opined:
    > > Thus spaketh Stan:

    > > > Where is <Domain>? The only such option I find is grouped with such
    > > > items as the IP address and mask and the Gateway, leading me to
    > > > believe that the intent is to the local domain. If this is the place
    > > > they want me to put the "Domain/Realm"? Admittedly this is optional;
    > > > but I have my local domain name there (what Windows calls "Workgroup",
    > > > I think).

    This is a question that hasn't been answered yet. The only <Domain>
    option I have found seems clearly to want the domain of my LAN
    (judging from the context in which it appears). I do not think that
    this is what VOIPcheap is talking about in its instructions, because
    it has nothing to do with IP telephony, and because it is certainly
    not optional, as their instructions say. Yet they suggest a string to
    enter there. What option are they talking about?

    > > > But I am not getting a dialtone when I lift the handset. Or is there
    > > > something else that I have to do to activate the ability to make SIP
    > > > calls?
    > > >
    > > > Except for <Domain>, which is optional, ALL the entries in their
    > > > published list are in place:
    > > >
    > > > Username -- the one that gets me into their website
    > > > Password -- ditto
    > > > Proxy -- sip.voipcheap.com <<--= corrected
    > > > STUN server -- stun.voipcheap.com
    > > >

    > > Line Enable: YES
    > >
    > > SIP Port: 5060

    > These two are the defaults, and I have left them alone.
    >
    > > Username -- VoIPCheap Username
    > > Password -- VoIPCheap Password
    > > Proxy -- sip.voipcheap.com
    > > STUN server -- stun.voipcheap.com

    > That's what is there. (The misspellilng in the Proxy name is a typo in
    > the posting.)
    >
    > > Use Auth ID: NO

    > That's the default, and I didn't change it.

    > > > Yes, I had that. For the record, I am using voipcheap.com, and I _am_
    > > > registered. The analog telephone is plugged into the <Line 1> jack,
    > > > and Line 1 is the one that I am configuring. The PAP2T's two rightmost
    > > > LEDs are illuminated. Neither of the other two lights, even when I
    > > > lift the handset.

    > > Ensure VoIPCheap software isn't running.

    > It can't run; I am not using a Windows machine.
    >
    > > There are other settings that will need changing for reginal variations,
    > > but they can be done once up and running.
    > >
    > > The PAP2 is a great device, however it does allow for a lot of
    > > customisation, which I believe is good, but maybe a headache for those
    > > new to such devices, it was this customisation that sold it to me.

    > I agree with you that flexibility is A Good Thing, and I hope to be
    > able to make use of it with this device. But the question right now
    > is, why am I not getting a dialtone?
    >
    > Now another problem has cropped up, probably connected with the above.
    > Opening the configuration screens on the browser shows me only the
    > Info tab, and none of the tabs are highlighted. I see this on two
    > machines, so evidently I have done something to exclude myself from
    > the configuration. How can I get out of this? I assume I have to
    > restore the entire default configuration, and begin again. How to do
    > that?

    Please disregard the paragraph above. I have found what caused it, and
    it is not relevant. Sorry.

    Concerning the time setting, my memory betrayed me: The option does
    NOT ask for the year, but only the month and day, which are indeed
    saved correctly. The <Info> page gives the correct month and day, and
    for no apparent reason declares that this is all happening in 2003. I
    have configured several things in the last few days, and cleaerly
    mixed up my memories. Again, sorry.

    So everything is as it should be, except that I don't get a dialtone.

    I notice that there is an option for using <Outgoing proxy>, which I
    have turned off because VOIPcheap doesn't mention it. Should it be
    turned on?
    Stan, Dec 9, 2006
  11. Stan

    Stan Guest

    On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 16:14:10 UTC, "Graham" <> opined:

    > > Username -- the one that gets me into their website
    > > Password -- ditto
    > > Proxy -- sip.voipcheam.com
    > > STUN server -- stun.voipcheap.com
    > >
    > >> Also proxy: where you enter sip.voipcheap.com if using the .com
    > >> version of VoIPCheap or sip.voipcheap.co.uk if using the .UK version

    > Can you do it that way now?
    > When I set up my Asterisk box for voipcheap.co.uk and voipcheap.com
    > I had to use sip.voipSTUNT.co.uk for both services.
    > Thats still the way its set up.

    The way he has written it is the same as VOIPcheap writes it in their
    instructions.
    Stan, Dec 9, 2006
  12. Stan

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-12-09, Stan <> wrote:

    > This is a question that hasn't been answered yet. The only <Domain>
    > option I have found seems clearly to want the domain of my LAN
    > (judging from the context in which it appears). I do not think that
    > this is what VOIPcheap is talking about in its instructions, because
    > it has nothing to do with IP telephony, and because it is certainly
    > not optional, as their instructions say. Yet they suggest a string to
    > enter there. What option are they talking about?

    The Domain/Realm setting that VoipCheap mention is not one that can be
    set on a PAP2 as there is no option for it. You can forget about it.

    The HostName/Domain combination in System Configuration is not anything
    you need concern yourself with. As you have figured out, it is to do
    with your network not VoipCheap's. Leaving the two fields blank is fine.

    > So everything is as it should be, except that I don't get a dialtone.

    In other post you mention being registered to sip.voipcheap.com. How do
    know registration has taken place?

    > I notice that there is an option for using <Outgoing proxy>, which I
    > have turned off because VOIPcheap doesn't mention it. Should it be
    > turned on?

    No. It not required.

    Brian.
    Brian, Dec 9, 2006
  13. Stan

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-12-09, Stan <> wrote:

    [Snip]

    > In addition to the above, I am flummoxed by many of the
    > non-intuitively named options for the device. The PAP2T came without
    > any information on that level; is there somewhere that defines them?

    I am not familiar with what documentation comes with the PAP2T but you
    could go to http://www.sipura.com/support/index.htm and look at what is
    there for the SPA 2100. I supect the manual you got is practically
    identical to the Sipura one but the FAQ might help.

    If you want a more detailed description of the meaning of a particular
    option than the manual gives you will need to use a search engine. Or,
    as a first port of call, voxilla.com has a really useful Linksys/Sipura
    forum.

    Brian.
    Brian, Dec 9, 2006
  14. Stan

    Stan Guest

    On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 19:38:21 UTC, Brian <> opined:
    > On 2006-12-09, Stan <> wrote:
    >
    > > This is a question that hasn't been answered yet. The only <Domain>
    > > option I have found seems clearly to want the domain of my LAN
    > > (judging from the context in which it appears). I do not think that
    > > this is what VOIPcheap is talking about in its instructions, because
    > > it has nothing to do with IP telephony, and because it is certainly
    > > not optional, as their instructions say. Yet they suggest a string to
    > > enter there. What option are they talking about?

    > The Domain/Realm setting that VoipCheap mention is not one that can be
    > set on a PAP2 as there is no option for it. You can forget about it.

    Good to know. Thank you.

    > The HostName/Domain combination in System Configuration is not anything
    > you need concern yourself with. As you have figured out, it is to do
    > with your network not VoipCheap's. Leaving the two fields blank is fine.

    Actually, they are needed for my LAN. It was clear that they have
    nothing to do with making telephone calls.

    > > So everything is as it should be, except that I don't get a dialtone.

    > In other post you mention being registered to sip.voipcheap.com. How do
    > know registration has taken place?

    My username and password get me into their website. Once I'm there, I
    can enter an area specific to my account, it knows my name, and it
    tells me how much money I've given them for credits.

    > > I notice that there is an option for using <Outgoing proxy>, which I
    > > have turned off because VOIPcheap doesn't mention it. Should it be
    > > turned on?

    > No. It not required.

    Then I am still in the dark about why I can't connect.

    Tomorrow I'll make a text file of the configuration. If anybody thinks
    viewing it will help diagnose the problem, I will be happy to send it.
    I am too new here to know if posting it on the forum is permissible.

    Stan, Dec 9, 2006
  15. Stan

    Stan Guest

    On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 20:10:57 UTC, Brian <> opined:
    > On 2006-12-09, Stan <> wrote:
    >
    > [Snip]
    >
    > > In addition to the above, I am flummoxed by many of the
    > > non-intuitively named options for the device. The PAP2T came without
    > > any information on that level; is there somewhere that defines them?

    > I am not familiar with what documentation comes with the PAP2T but you
    > could go to http://www.sipura.com/support/index.htm and look at what is
    > there for the SPA 2100. I supect the manual you got is practically
    > identical to the Sipura one but the FAQ might help.
    >
    > If you want a more detailed description of the meaning of a particular
    > option than the manual gives you will need to use a search engine. Or,
    > as a first port of call, voxilla.com has a really useful Linksys/Sipura
    > forum.

    Many thanks for both hints.

    Stan, Dec 9, 2006
  16. Stan

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-12-09, Stan <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 19:38:21 UTC, Brian <> opined:
    >> The HostName/Domain combination in System Configuration is not anything
    >> you need concern yourself with. As you have figured out, it is to do
    >> with your network not VoipCheap's. Leaving the two fields blank is fine.

    > Actually, they are needed for my LAN. It was clear that they have
    > nothing to do with making telephone calls.

    I really should have said my network gets by without my doing anything
    special with those two settings, although I do note that Host Name in
    the System Information is SipuraSPA. Anyway, I cannot see a pressing
    need to designate a domain so it would be useful to know why you have a
    requirement for HostName/Domain.

    >> In other post you mention being registered to sip.voipcheap.com. How do
    >> know registration has taken place?

    > My username and password get me into their website. Once I'm there, I
    > can enter an area specific to my account, it knows my name, and it
    > tells me how much money I've given them for credits.

    Is it possible you are confusing registration of the account, personal
    details, credit etc, with registration of the phone? To keep it simple:
    the User ID and password on Line 1 are sent to sip.voipcheap.com, the
    proxy, which verifies whether you have an account with credit in it and
    at the same time records the IP of the ATA so it knows where to send
    incoming calls.

    Having authenticated you a message is sent to the PAPT2 saying you can
    make calls. This appears in System Information as Registration State:
    Registered. You need to have the Register: setting for Line 1 set to
    'yes' and refreshing the web page is normally needed to see any change
    to the System Information. With a successful registration there is a
    dial tone.

    [Snip]

    > Tomorrow I'll make a text file of the configuration. If anybody thinks
    > viewing it will help diagnose the problem, I will be happy to send it.
    > I am too new here to know if posting it on the forum is permissible.

    Viewing it would very helpful. I cannot envisage anyone objecting. Now
    you'll not forget to replace password with xxxxx will you?

    Brian.
    Brian, Dec 10, 2006
  17. Stan

    Graham Guest

    > There are options such as <Caller ID method> which must depend on the
    > standards of the local telco, and that I must consult with them for
    > answers (I do not want to bet on my chances of getting such
    > information). If someone knows about a source that defines these
    > parameters for various countries, I hope he will offer a pointer to
    > it.

    No. The PAP2 *is* the telco, (in that it simulates an exchange line).
    The CLID settings simply have to match the telephones you are
    connecting to the FXS ports. For UK phones this is
    ETSI FSK with PR.
    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham, Dec 10, 2006
  18. Thus spaketh Graham:
    >> There are options such as <Caller ID method> which must depend on the
    >> standards of the local telco, and that I must consult with them for
    >> answers (I do not want to bet on my chances of getting such
    >> information). If someone knows about a source that defines these
    >> parameters for various countries, I hope he will offer a pointer to
    >> it.

    > No. The PAP2 *is* the telco, (in that it simulates an exchange line).
    > The CLID settings simply have to match the telephones you are
    > connecting to the FXS ports. For UK phones this is
    > ETSI FSK with PR.

    Caller ID FSK Standard: v.23

    FXS Port Impedance: 370+620||310nF

    Mobile Offers: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/payg
    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Dec 10, 2006
  19. Stan

    Stan Guest

    On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 00:12:15 UTC, Brian <> opined:
    > On 2006-12-09, Stan <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 19:38:21 UTC, Brian <> opined:
    > >> The HostName/Domain combination in System Configuration is not anything
    > >> you need concern yourself with. As you have figured out, it is to do
    > >> with your network not VoipCheap's. Leaving the two fields blank is fine.

    > > Actually, they are needed for my LAN. It was clear that they have
    > > nothing to do with making telephone calls.

    > I really should have said my network gets by without my doing anything
    > special with those two settings, although I do note that Host Name in
    > the System Information is SipuraSPA. Anyway, I cannot see a pressing
    > need to designate a domain so it would be useful to know why you have a
    > requirement for HostName/Domain.
    >
    > >> In other post you mention being registered to sip.voipcheap.com. How do
    > >> know registration has taken place?

    > > My username and password get me into their website. Once I'm there, I
    > > can enter an area specific to my account, it knows my name, and it
    > > tells me how much money I've given them for credits.

    > Is it possible you are confusing registration of the account, personal
    > details, credit etc, with registration of the phone? To keep it simple:
    > the User ID and password on Line 1 are sent to sip.voipcheap.com, the
    > proxy, which verifies whether you have an account with credit in it and
    > at the same time records the IP of the ATA so it knows where to send
    > incoming calls.

    AHA!!! THAT is what I have been after. That is what has not been done.

    Why it has not been done is that, in its instructions
    <http://voipcheap.com/en/sip.html>, a printed copy of which is lying
    before me even as I write, there is no mention of this, or of how to
    do it. Nor does the FAQ say anything about it. It is a well-kept
    secret. How must I go about registering the ATA?

    > Having authenticated you a message is sent to the PAPT2 saying you can
    > make calls. This appears in System Information as Registration State:
    > Registered. You need to have the Register: setting for Line 1 set to
    > 'yes' and refreshing the web page is normally needed to see any change
    > to the System Information. With a successful registration there is a
    > dial tone.
    >
    > [Snip]
    >
    > > Tomorrow I'll make a text file of the configuration. If anybody thinks
    > > viewing it will help diagnose the problem, I will be happy to send it.
    > > I am too new here to know if posting it on the forum is permissible.

    > Viewing it would very helpful. I cannot envisage anyone objecting. Now
    > you'll not forget to replace password with xxxxx will you?

    The passwords don't show up in the printout.

    Stan, Dec 10, 2006
  20. Stan

    Stan Guest

    On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 00:25:01 UTC, "Graham" <> opined:

    > > There are options such as <Caller ID method> which must depend on the
    > > standards of the local telco, and that I must consult with them for
    > > answers (I do not want to bet on my chances of getting such
    > > information). If someone knows about a source that defines these
    > > parameters for various countries, I hope he will offer a pointer to
    > > it.

    > No. The PAP2 *is* the telco, (in that it simulates an exchange line).
    > The CLID settings simply have to match the telephones you are
    > connecting to the FXS ports. For UK phones this is
    > ETSI FSK with PR.

    No, I meant the TELCO. I am not in the UK, and I do not know what
    settings the company uses, thus I have no clue what settings are
    required for the telephone instruments offered for sale. But a little
    experimentation will discover what the phones want.
    Stan, Dec 10, 2006