    Calls to France used to be free... they're 1c a minute now :-(

    It was good while it lasted.

    Dave
    David, Oct 19, 2005

  2. David

    Me Guest

    On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:55:59 +0100, David
    <> wrote:

    >Calls to France used to be free... they're 1c a minute now :-(
    >
    >It was good while it lasted.

    Yes but that changed two or 3 months ago.

    Me
    Me, Oct 19, 2005

  3. David

    Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:14:09 +0100, Me<> wrote:

    >On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:55:59 +0100, David
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Calls to France used to be free... they're 1c a minute now :-(
    >>
    >>It was good while it lasted.

    >Yes but that changed two or 3 months ago.
    >
    >Me

    but France landline is free from sipdiscount.com - why not move there.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Oct 19, 2005
  4. David

    Andrew Crane Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    > Calls to France used to be free... they're 1c a minute now :-(
    >
    > It was good while it lasted.

    How long do you think they should subsidise your calls for?

    Regards
    Andrew

    --
    Inweb Networks. Quality internet and telecoms services
    Sales: 08000 612222 Support: 08704322222. http://www.inweb.co.uk
    Andrew Crane, Oct 19, 2005
  5. David

    Ad C Guest

    In article <dj5plc$191m$>,
    says...

    > How long do you think they should subsidise your calls for?

    It amazes me that people want something for nothing and when it end they
    do not like it.
    Ad C, Oct 19, 2005

    Try the "french brother" of voipbuster: www.netappel.fr
    Philippe Deleye, Oct 19, 2005
  7. David

    Al Guest

    On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:29:28 +0200, Philippe Deleye wrote:

    >Try the "french brother" of voipbuster: www.netappel.fr

    Do I need to use it with a french letter?
    Al, Oct 20, 2005
  8. David

    David Guest

    Andrew Crane wrote:
    > How long do you think they should subsidise your calls for?

    As long as they're willing to, I guess. :-D
    Like I said: It was good while it lasted.

    I'm not bitter and twisted about this - If someone is providing a
    service for free then they're quite at liberty to stop at any time. I
    have no issue with that.

    My post was mainly to alert people that the calls to France were no
    longer free - Thankfully Voipbuster's 'This call costs 1 cent per
    minute' announcement was clear and enabled me to terminate the call
    before it was answered.

    Regards,
    David
    David, Oct 20, 2005
  9. David

    David Guest

    Ad C wrote:
    > It amazes me that people want something for nothing and when it end they
    > do not like it.

    Ad, my post wasn't a moan, it was more of a heads-up to anyone else who
    uses Voipbuster for calls to France. Sometimes that call charge message
    is cut short if the other end picks up the call quickly - people could
    miss the fact that the call was now being charged.

    Thanks to Voipbuster I have been able to dip a toe into the VOIP pool
    and test it out to see if it's something worth pursuing - and don't
    forget, using them is not free: I had to deposit a whole Euro! ;-)

    But you are right - I do like getting something for nothing and I don't
    like it when it ends - Don't we all if we're honest?

    Regards,
    David
    David, Oct 20, 2005
  10. David

    Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 08:38:38 +0100, David
    <> wrote:

    >Ad C wrote:
    >> It amazes me that people want something for nothing and when it end they
    >> do not like it.

    >Ad, my post wasn't a moan, it was more of a heads-up to anyone else who
    >uses Voipbuster for calls to France. Sometimes that call charge message
    >is cut short if the other end picks up the call quickly - people could
    >miss the fact that the call was now being charged.
    >
    >Thanks to Voipbuster I have been able to dip a toe into the VOIP pool
    >and test it out to see if it's something worth pursuing - and don't
    >forget, using them is not free: I had to deposit a whole Euro! ;-)
    >
    >But you are right - I do like getting something for nothing and I don't
    >like it when it ends - Don't we all if we're honest?

    I feel exactly the same way about it. I use Voipbuster with a head set
    and when it becomes more expensive than 1899 I will quit and just use
    the headset for speaking on IM. It was fun while it lasted but unlike
    many here I am not a great telephone user or enthusiast. However this
    NG is great for learning about VoIP and I am convinced my self that it
    will become the future eventually and many of us will have our
    telephone bundled in with our BB account.
    pete
    , Oct 20, 2005
  11. David

    Me Guest

    >My post was mainly to alert people that the calls to France were no
    >longer free - Thankfully Voipbuster's 'This call costs 1 cent per
    >minute' announcement was clear and enabled me to terminate the call
    >before it was answered.

    Cheapskate
    Me, Oct 20, 2005
  12. David

    Ad C Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Ad, my post wasn't a moan, it was more of a heads-up to anyone else who
    > uses Voipbuster for calls to France. Sometimes that call charge message
    > is cut short if the other end picks up the call quickly - people could
    > miss the fact that the call was now being charged.
    >
    > Thanks to Voipbuster I have been able to dip a toe into the VOIP pool
    > and test it out to see if it's something worth pursuing - and don't
    > forget, using them is not free: I had to deposit a whole Euro! ;-)
    >
    > But you are right - I do like getting something for nothing and I don't
    > like it when it ends - Don't we all if we're honest?

    I do not mind paying for a service if it offers good value for money. I
    will always try and get a service cheaper, which is why I shop around
    for things, but most things that are free, you end up paying in the end,
    one way or another.

    As you said it allowed you to dip your toe in the VOIP pool, which is
    something I have to admit, I have not done yet, apart from Msn
    Messenger, but that do not really count.
    Ad C, Oct 20, 2005
  13. David

    Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 22:43:17 +0100, Ad C <>
    wrote:

    >As you said it allowed you to dip your toe in the VOIP pool, which is
    >something I have to admit, I have not done yet, apart from Msn
    >Messenger, but that do not really count.

    Why for gods sake don't you try it you have breen going on for long
    enough here about it and it doesn't hurt your body or your pocket in
    the least .
    , Oct 20, 2005
  14. David

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:32:48 +0100, Me<> wrote:

    >>My post was mainly to alert people that the calls to France were no
    >>longer free - Thankfully Voipbuster's 'This call costs 1 cent per
    >>minute' announcement was clear and enabled me to terminate the call
    >>before it was answered.

    >Cheapskate

    Not really. If your main intention is to get free UK calls and don't
    want to use up your initial fee then it seems quite sensible to me.
    It would seem wise to look around and see who is offering the cheapest
    deal and, currently, for France, it seems that it is sipdiscount.
    They all come out of the same stable anyway, but you have to bear in
    mind that Joe Public isn't as well informed as most of the people who
    frequent this newsgroup. What about the many millions of people who
    are still paying per minute for their daytime calls when they could
    be using 18866/1899! I look around for the cheapest deals - if you
    have money to throw away and don't consider it worth your time to shop
    around then that is your choice but some of us consider it a waste not
    to do so. I always aim for the best value for money. That doesn't
    always mean going for the cheapest deal as sometimes it can be better
    to spend more with a view to saving in the long term.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Oct 21, 2005
  15. David

    Tone Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:13:49 +0100, wrote:

    >On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 08:38:38 +0100, David
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Ad C wrote:
    >>> It amazes me that people want something for nothing and when it end they
    >>> do not like it.

    >>Ad, my post wasn't a moan, it was more of a heads-up to anyone else who
    >>uses Voipbuster for calls to France. Sometimes that call charge message
    >>is cut short if the other end picks up the call quickly - people could
    >>miss the fact that the call was now being charged.
    >>
    >>Thanks to Voipbuster I have been able to dip a toe into the VOIP pool
    >>and test it out to see if it's something worth pursuing - and don't
    >>forget, using them is not free: I had to deposit a whole Euro! ;-)
    >>
    >>But you are right - I do like getting something for nothing and I don't
    >>like it when it ends - Don't we all if we're honest?

    >I feel exactly the same way about it. I use Voipbuster with a head set
    >and when it becomes more expensive than 1899 I will quit and just use
    >the headset for speaking on IM. It was fun while it lasted but unlike
    >many here I am not a great telephone user or enthusiast. However this
    >NG is great for learning about VoIP and I am convinced my self that it
    >will become the future eventually and many of us will have our
    >telephone bundled in with our BB account.
    >pete

    Does that mean you will start lying and abusing by telephone then ?

    --

    Just livin' the Vida Sofa
    Tone, Oct 21, 2005
  16. David

    J Smith Guest

    David wrote:
    > Calls to France used to be free... they're 1c a minute now :-(
    >
    > It was good while it lasted.
    >
    > Dave

    Try voipcheap.co.uk, they allow free calls to France. VoIPCheap is
    actually VoIPBuster under a different name, they both connect to the
    same IP addresses, etc. It seems they keep swapping rates between them.
    This month VoIPBuster wants 1c cent a minute and VoIPCheap is free,
    next month VoIPCheap might charge 1c a minute and VoIPBuster will be
    free. It might be a good idea to get an account with both of them and
    keep switching to the one that lets you call for free, the only problem
    is you'll have to put £5 credit on before you can make calls, but it's
    not that much for potentially unlimited calls.
    J Smith, Oct 23, 2005