    room telemarketing operation. And where to buy gear - Dick Smith
    seems to be phasing out VOIP adaptors, phones etc they are mostly on
    special with very limited stock.
    peterwn, Jul 24, 2008

  2. In article
    <>, peterwn
    did write:

    > And where to buy gear ...

    You don't really need to buy any extra hardware to begin with--try it out
    with a softphone, possibly sign up with a free service like ekiga.net just
    for evaluation purposes.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 24, 2008

  3. peterwn

    EMB Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 23:09:25 -0700 (PDT), peterwn <> wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone had recent experience of voice over internet to NZ landlines
    >> via DSL (0.5km from exchange). I heard it suggested you could run 2
    >> VOIP's on a DSL or is this stretching things. Does it sound
    >> reasonable, or does it sound like a call from a third world boiler
    >> room telemarketing operation. And where to buy gear - Dick Smith
    >> seems to be phasing out VOIP adaptors, phones etc they are mostly on
    >> special with very limited stock.

    > I thought IP's are blocking it..

    You really are thick as pigshit and spectacularly uninformed Woger.
    Xnet and Slingshit are both pushing VOIP products hard.
    EMB, Jul 24, 2008
  4. peterwn

    EMB Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > Anyone had recent experience of voice over internet to NZ landlines
    > via DSL (0.5km from exchange). I heard it suggested you could run 2
    > VOIP's on a DSL or is this stretching things. Does it sound
    > reasonable, or does it sound like a call from a third world boiler
    > room telemarketing operation. And where to buy gear - Dick Smith
    > seems to be phasing out VOIP adaptors, phones etc they are mostly on
    > special with very limited stock.

    I've had "good results at 3km from the exchange with one VOIP call, two
    simultaneous calls are sometimes ok but generally meet the standard of
    passable. For more than one call you need to be on a FS upstream plan.
    If you want to try it out sign up for a free 2talk account and use a
    softphone.

    For a VOIP adaptor I'd get a Linksys SPA2102.
    EMB, Jul 24, 2008
  5. peterwn

    Tony Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > Anyone had recent experience of voice over internet to NZ landlines
    > via DSL (0.5km from exchange). I heard it suggested you could run 2
    > VOIP's on a DSL or is this stretching things. Does it sound
    > reasonable, or does it sound like a call from a third world boiler
    > room telemarketing operation. And where to buy gear - Dick Smith
    > seems to be phasing out VOIP adaptors, phones etc they are mostly on
    > special with very limited stock.

    If you use xnet voip and one of the Linksys adapters on and xnet dsl two
    calls work perfectly even when downloading. This is because the Juniper
    E320 at xnet is set up to apply the qos for you. Best results are found
    by using the all in one voip-dsl-wireless linksys router. (I use an
    sp2102 and Cisco rotuer, but thats applying my own QOS.
    Tony, Jul 24, 2008
  6. peterwn

    Tony Guest

    > If you use xnet voip and one of the Linksys adapters on and xnet dsl two
    > calls work perfectly even when downloading. This is because the Juniper
    > E320 at xnet is set up to apply the qos for you. Best results are found
    > by using the all in one voip-dsl-wireless linksys router. (I use an
    > sp2102 and Cisco rotuer, but thats applying my own QOS.

    Dick Smith has the adapters. Or better

    http://ascent.co.nz/search.aspx?T1=xnet&D1=2101
    Tony, Jul 24, 2008
  7. peterwn

    Tony Guest

    > To get good and reliable VOIP you'll need at least a 3mbit circuit as
    > Telecom doesn't offer QOS on dedicated circuits smaller than that.
    >
    > Not sure what quality you'd get out of an ADSL link, as the best you'll
    > get is limited by the capacity of your uplink, and ADSL generally does
    > not have the ability to set QOS to enable reliable delivery of VOIP
    > packets.

    Sorry, you are misinformed. I can assure you the QOS being enforced on
    the Xnet LNS (the L2TP termination router for the UBS service,
    http://www.juniper.net/products_and_services/e_series_broadband_service/index.html
    ) runs just fine. Even with hard upload/download the VFX (if you are
    using the specified pre-configured Linksys router) lines are perfectly
    acceptable. While I'm sure it would be possible to break the quality
    with very large packets uploading if you really tried in general use it
    works fine. I have been using two lines on a naked dsl for almost a year
    and never noticed, or had anyone comment that there is a noticeable
    quality issue.
    Tony, Jul 24, 2008
  8. In article
    <>, peterwn
    did write:

    Just stay away from Skype <http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1549>
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 25, 2008
  9. peterwn

    Tony Guest

    > You're probably lucky. :eek:)

    Nope, its nothing to do with luck, its expensive equipment and decent
    engineers.
    Tony, Jul 26, 2008