    4. What is P2P? Do I need to know anything about this?

    All advice appreciated. Thanks.

    Cap Smith

    Cap Smith, Nov 4, 2004

  2. Cap Smith

    Pepperoni Guest

    "Cap Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am new to this (VoIP) and would like to know a little more about this to
    > get up and running. (I have a lot of family abroad and would be cheaper

    for
    > me if this actually works!)
    >
    > So:-
    >
    > 1. Does this really work?
    > 2. Will it work with any ISP/ADSL connection?
    > 3. Which VoIP companies can anybody recommend?
    > 4. What is P2P? Do I need to know anything about this?
    >
    > All advice appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Cap Smith

    1. Does this really work?
    Yes, it really works.
    It costs nothing to try. All you need is the free software. Your friends
    will need the same software for free peer-to-peer calls. A microphone is
    also necessary.

    2. Will it work with any ISP/ADSL connection?
    My experience is with a cable connection. I have called persons on dial-up,
    with good sound quality.

    3. Which VoIP companies can anybody recommend?
    Voiceglo is good to try your equiptment. Get the free "Bluephone" at
    http://www.glophone.com/plans
    (they even give 30 minutes free to new users) if you plan to call a regular
    telephone, you will need a paid plan. PC-to_PC calls are free (p2p or
    peer-to-peer) Your friends will need the same software.

    4. What is P2P? Do I need to know anything about this?
    If you plan to call a regular telephone, you will need a paid plan.
    PC-to-PC calls are free (p2p or peer-to-peer)

    It costs nothing to try. The only cost is for calling regular wired phones
    and to maintain a number reachable from regular phones. They will issue you
    a number for peer-to-peer calling between PCs. Best quality is with cable
    connections.

    many other services have free peer-to peer calling and free software.

    Get the glophone software and drop me an email; I'll help you test it.

    Pepperoni

    Pepperoni, Nov 4, 2004

  3. Cap Smith

    Kyler Laird Guest

    "Cap Smith" <> writes:

    >I am new to this (VoIP) and would like to know a little more about this to
    >get up and running. (I have a lot of family abroad and would be cheaper for
    >me if this actually works!)

    There's lots of information around. I suggest looking into what's already
    posted in Usenet and on the Web.

    Because I just started dipping my feet in the VoIP pool, I'll go ahead and
    give a few quick answers...

    >1. Does this really work?

    Yes.

    >2. Will it work with any ISP/ADSL connection?

    It can. (I use VoIP through multiple NAT boxes.)

    >3. Which VoIP companies can anybody recommend?

    LiveVoIP, VoicePulse (Connect!), BroadVoice

    >4. What is P2P? Do I need to know anything about this?

    If you only want to communicate with your family, you might not need to
    go through any providers - just get them some VoIP hardware/software.

    >All advice appreciated.

    Stay away from proprietary systems. VoIP is so good that you're likely
    to want to do more with it. There's no reason to be hamstrung by some
    company.

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Nov 4, 2004
  4. Cap Smith

    René Guest

    On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 00:06:37 -0000, "Cap Smith" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >
    >I am new to this (VoIP) and would like to know a little more about this to
    >get up and running. (I have a lot of family abroad and would be cheaper for
    >me if this actually works!)
    >
    >So:-
    >
    >1. Does this really work?
    >2. Will it work with any ISP/ADSL connection?
    >3. Which VoIP companies can anybody recommend?
    >4. What is P2P? Do I need to know anything about this?
    >
    >All advice appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    >Cap Smith

    Skype works for us - even with our manufacturing plant in China.
    (our engineer just talks to his laptop with wifi card anywhere in the
    factory)

    --
    - René

    René, Nov 4, 2004
  5. Cap Smith

    Dmitri Guest

    Cap Smith wrote:

    > Hello all,

    > I am new to this (VoIP) and would like to know a little more about this
    > get up and running. (I have a lot of family abroad and would be cheaper
    > for
    > me if this actually works!)

    > So:-

    > 1. Does this really work?
    > 2. Will it work with any ISP/ADSL connection?
    > 3. Which VoIP companies can anybody recommend?
    > 4. What is P2P? Do I need to know anything about this?

    > All advice appreciated. Thanks.

    > Cap Smith

    Yes, it does work! However, VoIP is a VERY broad term. As a matter of
    fact, when you call your family around the world, you are likely using
    VoIP one way or another for the last five years or so.

    The configuration of your own VoIP solutions will greatly depend of
    whether or not your family has access to reliable Internet connections
    abroad. If they do, one of the easiest ways to call them would be to use
    P2P (peer-to-peer) application, such as Skype. I'm personally having a lot
    of fun using Skype, but if you read this newsgroup, you can find different
    opinions. You should try it yourself to decide. Anyways, if you do not
    have a reliable connection (good quality dial-up will work as well), you
    are better off getting a VoIP service for yourself and use cheaper
    international rates they normally offer. There are dozens of services
    available ; Net2Phone, Packet8, and others as well as their second-tier
    resellers galore.

    Read this newsgroup, you'll see every imaginable service mentioned and
    discussed here. If you want to read messages from few months back, we keep
    archive of this newsgroup here:
    http://www.cabling-design.com/forums/newsgroup32-.htm

    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
    http://www.cabling-design.com

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forum

    Dmitri, Nov 4, 2004
  6. Cap Smith

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com)" <>
    wrote in message news:Bjsid.2379562$...
    > Cap Smith wrote:
    >

    >> Hello all,

    >> I am new to this (VoIP) and would like to know a little more about this
    >> get up and running. (I have a lot of family abroad and would be cheaper
    >> for
    >> me if this actually works!)

    >> So:-

    >> 1. Does this really work?
    >> 2. Will it work with any ISP/ADSL connection?
    >> 3. Which VoIP companies can anybody recommend?
    >> 4. What is P2P? Do I need to know anything about this?

    >> All advice appreciated. Thanks.

    >> Cap Smith

    > Yes, it does work! However, VoIP is a VERY broad term. As a matter of
    > fact, when you call your family around the world, you are likely using
    > VoIP one way or another for the last five years or so.
    >
    > The configuration of your own VoIP solutions will greatly depend of
    > whether or not your family has access to reliable Internet connections
    > abroad. If they do, one of the easiest ways to call them would be to use
    > P2P (peer-to-peer) application, such as Skype. I'm personally having a
    > lot
    > of fun using Skype, but if you read this newsgroup, you can find
    > different
    > opinions. You should try it yourself to decide. Anyways, if you do not
    > have a reliable connection (good quality dial-up will work as well), you
    > are better off getting a VoIP service for yourself and use cheaper
    > international rates they normally offer. There are dozens of services
    > available ; Net2Phone, Packet8, and others as well as their second-tier
    > resellers galore.
    >
    > Read this newsgroup, you'll see every imaginable service mentioned and
    > discussed here. If you want to read messages from few months back, we
    > keep
    > archive of this newsgroup here:
    > http://www.cabling-design.com/forums/newsgroup32-.htm

    It all depends really on what you actually want to *do* with VoIP. If all
    you want is to talk from computer to computer with similarly-equipped
    friends or colleagues, then a system like Skype will probably suit your
    needs.

    If however you want to break out onto the PSTN (public telephone network)
    then you may not find this to be the best option. It also depends on your
    location; do you want a US phone number, a UK one, a German one..? Here in
    the UK I'm very happy with the service provided by Sipgate
    (www.sipgate.co.uk) who supply a free UK telephone number, plus I bought
    an adaptor which allows me to plug an ordinary analogue telephone in, so
    as long as my ADSL connection is up and running, with the router switched
    on, no computer actually needs to be switched on and I can use the phone
    in exactly the same way as my ordinary landline (but calls are a lot
    cheaper..!)

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 4, 2004