voip - would this do ?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by igdirect, May 8, 2007.

  1. igdirect

    igdirect Guest

    igdirect, May 8, 2007

  2. igdirect

    Jon Farmer Guest

    igdirect wrote:
    > I want to do VOIP and have a SB4100 cable modem with virgin media.
    > Would I be thinking that the device below is all the additional
    > hardware that I need as it has a router built in, and implies that
    > you can connect this to both the cable modem and the RJ45 on the PC ?
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIP-VoIP-Phon...tegoryZ61841QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#requirements

    If you only have need for one PC/device other than the ATA to connect to
    to your cable modem then yes. However I can't comment on the quality of
    this ATA.

    Regards

    Jon
    Jon Farmer, May 8, 2007

  3. igdirect

    Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 08 May 2007 22:56:17 +0100, Jon Farmer <>
    wrote:

    >http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIP-VoIP-Phon...tegoryZ61841QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#requirements

    Have you read the conditions for the bid?
    " Bidder must be signed up with a freespeech full access account prior
    to bidding on this unit."
    I wouldn't touch this. If you want to do voip then do it properly.
    When I last checked the tariffs from 'freespeech' they didn't seem all
    that good. If you just need to run one PC and want voip check out the
    SPA-3102 from broadbandstuff.co.uk or, if you want to run more than
    one PC go for one of the Fritzbox - try www.broadbandstuf.co.uk or
    Froogle.
    My advice: Just don't tie yourself in with a single operator that you
    know little about when you can do far better elsewhere.
    You'll find more detailed advice available from this group if you ask
    for it.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, May 9, 2007
  4. igdirect

    News Reader Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 08 May 2007 22:56:17 +0100, Jon Farmer <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIP-VoIP-Phon...tegoryZ61841QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#requirements

    > Have you read the conditions for the bid?
    > " Bidder must be signed up with a freespeech full access account prior
    > to bidding on this unit."
    > I wouldn't touch this. If you want to do voip then do it properly.
    > When I last checked the tariffs from 'freespeech' they didn't seem all
    > that good. If you just need to run one PC and want voip check out the
    > SPA-3102 from broadbandstuff.co.uk or, if you want to run more than
    > one PC go for one of the Fritzbox - try www.broadbandstuf.co.uk or
    > Froogle.
    > My advice: Just don't tie yourself in with a single operator that you
    > know little about when you can do far better elsewhere.
    > You'll find more detailed advice available from this group if you ask
    > for it.
    >
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Hi,

    I think you may have slightly mis-understood / mis-read this.

    "*Freespeech offer Terms & Conditions:
    Bidder must be signed up with a freespeech full access account prior to
    bidding on this unit.
    Voucher will be sent via email only to your confirmed registered freespeech
    email address only.
    One voucher per user only."

    I.e. if you want their extra promotional free £10 credit for the freespech
    service, then you have to be a registered user of that service before
    purchasing to get this promotional freebie extra.

    I.e. I don't believe / understand that this has anything to do with the
    device itself. It is essentially a Grandstream 486 "clone" as I understand
    and allows full configuration to do anything you want with it.

    However, they do seem a bit "rich" with their prices to me. Others offer a
    WLAN ADSL router with full VoIP funcionatliy for £20! ??

    But basically I understand that the OP is correct - this device should do
    all they need.

    Best wishes,

    News Reader
    News Reader, May 9, 2007
  5. igdirect

    igdirect Guest

    in the end folks, I have decided to go with a Netgear TA612V. I only
    have a single PC at home, with no plans to no plans to expand.
    Hopefully I can wave goodbye to Telewest line rental.

    igdirect, May 10, 2007
  6. igdirect

    Brian A Guest

    On 10 May 2007 14:37:00 -0700, igdirect <> wrote:

    >in the end folks, I have decided to go with a Netgear TA612V. I only
    >have a single PC at home, with no plans to no plans to expand.
    >Hopefully I can wave goodbye to Telewest line rental.

    Hope it wasn't locked to Sipgate.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, May 10, 2007
  7. igdirect

    igdirect Guest

    only for the first 2 months it is !!! quite a painless set-up
    really - got it going and registered in about 30 minutes and making
    calls. cost about £50 inc. P&P so whilst not bargain prices seen at
    Staples a few months back, should do for time being -

    Ian

    igdirect, May 11, 2007