    have paper faxes again instead of electronic faxes that i now get with
    efax. i really dont want to go from paperless back to paper again just
    so i can have voip.
    anonymous, Jul 9, 2005

  2. anonymous

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "anonymous" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > will efax work with voip?
    >
    > i.e. can someone send a fax to my voip fax line and then if I have my
    > voip line forwarded to my efax number will it work?

    I don't understand, why would you want to forward your VoIP line to an
    efax number..?

    > right now i use efax for incoming and outgoing faxes. my understanding
    > is that voip will work with traditional fax machines, but then i will
    > have paper faxes again instead of electronic faxes that i now get with
    > efax. i really dont want to go from paperless back to paper again just
    > so i can have voip.

    VoIP and fax can work, but it depends on the codec used. Some work better
    than others. If I were you I'd forget about VoIP for fax use and just
    continue to use your existing efax number. Use VoIP for phone calls.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 9, 2005

  3. anonymous

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    anonymous <> wrote:
    > will efax work with voip?
    >
    > i.e. can someone send a fax to my voip fax line and then if I have my
    > voip line forwarded to my efax number will it work?
    >
    > right now i use efax for incoming and outgoing faxes. my understanding
    > is that voip will work with traditional fax machines, but then i will
    > have paper faxes again instead of electronic faxes that i now get with
    > efax. i really dont want to go from paperless back to paper again just
    > so i can have voip.

    So why not just give out your efax number?

    But yes, you can forward your phone number to efax and it will quite
    possibly work. It will be bypassing the equipment in your home entirely.

    miguel
    Miguel Cruz, Jul 9, 2005
  4. anonymous

    Kyler Laird Guest

    "anonymous" <> writes:

    >i.e. can someone send a fax to my voip fax line and then if I have my
    >voip line forwarded to my efax number will it work?

    I've had very limited success experimenting with that (using other
    providers but essentially he same thing). It certainly should be
    possible but it's a matter of getting a good codec (and doing
    "reinvites", etc.).

    I'm hoping to get one of my Asterisk boxes configured to handle
    faxes sometday...

    --kyler
    Kyler Laird, Jul 9, 2005
  5. anonymous

    anonymous Guest

    >I don't understand, why would you want to forward your VoIP line to an
    >efax number..?

    >So why not just give out your efax number?

    there are no efax numbers available in my area code (even with the paid
    account), so my efax number is in NY while i am in CA. So i give
    customers a verizon fax number in my area and then forward it to the
    efax number. This way its a local call for them and i receive the
    document in efax. I've been doing this for several years now.
    anonymous, Jul 9, 2005
  6. anonymous

    Jeremy Guest

    "Kyler Laird" <> wrote in message
    > "anonymous" <> writes:
    >
    >>i.e. can someone send a fax to my voip fax line and then if I have my
    >>voip line forwarded to my efax number will it work?

    > I've had very limited success experimenting with that (using other
    > providers but essentially he same thing). It certainly should be
    > possible but it's a matter of getting a good codec (and doing
    > "reinvites", etc.).
    >
    > I'm hoping to get one of my Asterisk boxes configured to handle
    > faxes sometday...
    >
    > --kyler

    I have greatly improved fax speed by configuring my fax modem for Class 2
    operation. Less "training" before the faxing begins. Class 1 seems to
    always cut doen fax speed from 14,400 to 7200. Class 2 transmits at 14,400
    about 70% of the time, at 12,200 20% of the time, and 9600 10% of the time.

    If your fax modem is capable of Class 2 operation, definitely use it in that
    mode. Otherwise, consider buying a new modem. They're dirt cheap these
    days.
    Jeremy, Jul 10, 2005
  7. anonymous

    Guest

    I used e-fax with my SunRocket service for awhile until I set it up so
    that it would work with my all-in-one HP. e-fax does work pretty well
    with most of these VoIP providers.
    , Jul 14, 2005
  8. On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 22:12:38 -0700, anonymous wrote:

    > will efax work with voip?
    >
    > i.e. can someone send a fax to my voip fax line and then if I have my voip
    > line forwarded to my efax number will it work?

    I depends.

    I'm doing just that with great results, but if my SIP-provider would
    forward the call via a low-bandwidth codec it wouldn't work.

    /Henning
    Henning Wangerin, Jul 14, 2005
  9. anonymous

    David Ross Guest

    POTS over IO

    Don't even know what it would be called. Someone needs to have access to
    2 phone lines from another site for a few months. Given the track record
    of the phone company around here it could take them that long to deal
    with the move.

    Is there a pair of boxes that will allow us to plug into the POTS jacks
    at the original site and "relay" the POTS across a broadband connection
    to the new site were we'd have 2 RJ-11 jacks to use to access the POTS
    service at the original site?

    Thank You
    David Ross, Jul 16, 2005
  10. anonymous

    David Ross Guest

    Re: POTS over IP (sorry)

    David Ross, Jul 16, 2005
  11. anonymous

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Re: POTS over IO

    David Ross <> wrote:
    > Don't even know what it would be called. Someone needs to have access to
    > 2 phone lines from another site for a few months. Given the track record
    > of the phone company around here it could take them that long to deal
    > with the move.
    >
    > Is there a pair of boxes that will allow us to plug into the POTS jacks
    > at the original site and "relay" the POTS across a broadband connection
    > to the new site were we'd have 2 RJ-11 jacks to use to access the POTS
    > service at the original site?

    Sipura SPA-3000 at the end where the POTS jack is (one per POTS line,
    unfortunately), and then almost any SIP ATA at the remote end.

    miguel
    Miguel Cruz, Jul 16, 2005