VoIP with 3 Mobile BB?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Roger Mills, Nov 22, 2008.

  1. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    I have seen various discussions suggesting that 3 Mobile BB may block the
    ports used by VoIP - preventing its use.

    Can anyone give a definitive answer as to whether this is so or not?

    If VoIP *does* work, what would be the best way to go about it? For home use
    (with a fixed line), I use a PAP2T connected to my broadband router - but I
    obviously couldn't connect that directly to a 3 USB dongle. However, 3 also
    do a single port (+wireless) router[1] into which the dongle plugs -
    enabling the connection to be shared. Could I plug a PAP2T into that?

    [1] The router has received - at best - mixed reviews, partly because it
    needs a mains power supply, and isn't truly 'mobile'. That wouldn't be an
    issue for me because I'd only want to use mobile BB and VoIP in places such
    as caravans and holiday lets where mains - but not a fixed phone line - was
    available.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    Roger Mills, Nov 22, 2008

  2. Roger Mills

    Conor Guest

    Roger Mills wrote:
    > I have seen various discussions suggesting that 3 Mobile BB may block the
    > ports used by VoIP - preventing its use.
    >
    > Can anyone give a definitive answer as to whether this is so or not?
    >
    > If VoIP *does* work, what would be the best way to go about it? For home use
    > (with a fixed line), I use a PAP2T connected to my broadband router - but I
    > obviously couldn't connect that directly to a 3 USB dongle. However, 3 also
    > do a single port (+wireless) router[1] into which the dongle plugs -
    > enabling the connection to be shared. Could I plug a PAP2T into that?
    >
    > [1] The router has received - at best - mixed reviews, partly because it
    > needs a mains power supply, and isn't truly 'mobile'. That wouldn't be an
    > issue for me because I'd only want to use mobile BB and VoIP in places such
    > as caravans and holiday lets where mains - but not a fixed phone line - was
    > available.

    Considering "3" give you Skype for free, even if you're on PAYG and your
    credit has run out, I doubt it.

    AFAIK, "3" mobile broadband doesn't block ports.

    eBuyer has a few different HSDPA routers you could use. you can buy a
    300W 12v mains inverter for £25 if you needed to run it off a car battery.

    --
    Conor

    "Some of you may be anxious about finding a new job, or a new place to
    live. I know how you feel." President Bush, 2008
    Conor, Nov 22, 2008

  3. Roger Mills

    Steve Terry Guest

    "Conor" <> wrote in message
    > Roger Mills wrote:
    >> I have seen various discussions suggesting that 3 Mobile BB may block the
    >> ports used by VoIP - preventing its use.
    >>
    >> Can anyone give a definitive answer as to whether this is so or not?
    >>
    >> If VoIP *does* work, what would be the best way to go about it? For home
    >> use (with a fixed line), I use a PAP2T connected to my broadband router -
    >> but I obviously couldn't connect that directly to a 3 USB dongle.
    >> However, 3 also do a single port (+wireless) router[1] into which the
    >> dongle plugs - enabling the connection to be shared. Could I plug a PAP2T
    >> into that?
    >>
    >> [1] The router has received - at best - mixed reviews, partly because it
    >> needs a mains power supply, and isn't truly 'mobile'. That wouldn't be an
    >> issue for me because I'd only want to use mobile BB and VoIP in places
    >> such as caravans and holiday lets where mains - but not a fixed phone
    >> line - was available.

    > Considering "3" give you Skype for free, even if you're on PAYG and your
    > credit has run out, I doubt it.
    >
    > AFAIK, "3" mobile broadband doesn't block ports.

    3 blocks the port that echolink VOIP uses, but port 8100 seem OK?

    Someone must have a list of 3s blocked ports

    Steve Terry
    Steve Terry, Nov 23, 2008