VoIP wiretapping rules to be considered

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Imhotep, Sep 29, 2005.

  1. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Imhotep, Sep 29, 2005

  2. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    Jim Watt, Sep 29, 2005

  3. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:03:31 -0400, Imhotep <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Broadband providers and internet phone services have until spring 2007 to
    >>follow a new and complex set of rules designed to make it easier for
    >>police to seek wiretaps, federal regulators have ruled."
    >>
    >>http://management.silicon.com/government/0,39024677,39152744,00.htm

    > Thats the downside of living in the evil empire.
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    I agree. We, in the United States, need change in the Congress and the White
    House....Our Congressman view themselves as Kings and royalty. They have
    forgotten what their job is supposed to be....

    Im

    Imhotep, Sep 29, 2005
  4. Imhotep

    nemo_outis Guest

    Jim Watt <_way> wrote in

    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:03:31 -0400, Imhotep <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Broadband providers and internet phone services have until spring
    >>2007 to follow a new and complex set of rules designed to make it
    >>easier for police to seek wiretaps, federal regulators have ruled."
    >>
    >>http://management.silicon.com/government/0,39024677,39152744,00.htm

    > Thats the downside of living in the evil empire.
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    Whether or not any laws get passed I automatically assume the LE will
    eavesdrop.

    However, the main attraction to me of VOIP is that I can play all sorts of
    routing games to frustrate traffic analysis, and also add strong encryption
    at both ends. I don't depend on the provider to give me security - his is
    just some of the raw material from which I cobble together my personal
    solution. Hence my interest in SIPish stuff like Asterisk.

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Sep 29, 2005
  5. Imhotep

    GregRo Guest

    wrote:

    >"Broadband providers and internet phone services have until spring 2007 to
    >follow a new and complex set of rules designed to make it easier for police
    >to seek wiretaps, federal regulators have ruled."
    >
    >http://management.silicon.com/government/0,39024677,39152744,00.htm
    >
    >Im

    It will be challenged by the eff and other groups.

    Greg Ro

    GregRo, Sep 30, 2005
  6. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:21:42 -0400, Imhotep <>
    wrote:

    >Jim Watt wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:03:31 -0400, Imhotep <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Broadband providers and internet phone services have until spring 2007 to
    >>>follow a new and complex set of rules designed to make it easier for
    >>>police to seek wiretaps, federal regulators have ruled."
    >>>
    >>>http://management.silicon.com/government/0,39024677,39152744,00.htm

    >> Thats the downside of living in the evil empire.
    >> --
    >> Jim Watt
    >> http://www.gibnet.com

    >I agree. We, in the United States, need change in the Congress and the White
    >House....Our Congressman view themselves as Kings and royalty. They have
    >forgotten what their job is supposed to be....

    For a change we can agree.

    And my Government has no plans or capability to snoop on data traffic.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Sep 30, 2005
  7. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:21:42 -0400, Imhotep <>
    wrote:

    <snip>

    Meantime in Europe

    http://www.out-law.com/page-6164

    "The European Parliament rejected plans from the UK for an EU-wide
    data retention regime yesterday. But it lacks the power to stop them
    becoming law so instead it is hoping to divert support towards an
    alternative proposal from the Commission."

    The alternative would require telecommunications companies to retain
    data for one year and would compensate the companies for the costs
    incurred. The four member states supporting the Framework Decision
    want data retained for a longer period of time - up to three years.

    Neither proposal asks to store the content of the communications.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Sep 30, 2005
  8. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:21:42 -0400, Imhotep <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Jim Watt wrote:

    >>> Thats the downside of living in the evil empire.
    >>> --
    >>> Jim Watt
    >>> http://www.gibnet.com

    >>I agree. We, in the United States, need change in the Congress and the
    >>White House....Our Congressman view themselves as Kings and royalty. They
    >>have forgotten what their job is supposed to be....

    > For a change we can agree.

    LOLs :)

    > And my Government has no plans or capability to snoop on data traffic.

    That is good. As I said in another post, Americans *need* to start voting.
    We have too many bad politicians here....

    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    Im

    Imhotep, Sep 30, 2005
  9. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:21:42 -0400, Imhotep <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Meantime in Europe
    >
    > http://www.out-law.com/page-6164
    >
    > "The European Parliament rejected plans from the UK for an EU-wide
    > data retention regime yesterday. But it lacks the power to stop them
    > becoming law so instead it is hoping to divert support towards an
    > alternative proposal from the Commission."
    >
    > The alternative would require telecommunications companies to retain
    > data for one year and would compensate the companies for the costs
    > incurred. The four member states supporting the Framework Decision
    > want data retained for a longer period of time - up to three years.
    >
    > Neither proposal asks to store the content of the communications.
    >
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    Read my other post (FBI...). It seems the FBI here wants to control the
    software on our (US) pcs. Wante we can install and what we can't. If this
    happends I will move out of this country. Things are getting way out of
    hand....

    P.S. Jim, I am from English decent. Maybe I will move back to the UK and
    live next door to you :)

    Just kidding!
    Im

    Imhotep, Sep 30, 2005
  10. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:04:11 -0400, Imhotep <>
    wrote:

    >That is good. As I said in another post, Americans *need* to start voting.
    >We have too many bad politicians here....

    Very true. Traditionally we have a high percentage of people who
    turn out and vote and no suspicious hardware security issues.

    http://www.conservatives.gi/election.htm
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Oct 1, 2005
  11. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:07:10 -0400, Imhotep <>
    wrote:

    >P.S. Jim, I am from English decent. Maybe I will move back to the UK and
    >live next door to you :)

    Unless you have an EU passport you can't come in :)

    However your Geography is a bit out.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Oct 1, 2005
  12. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:

    > On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:07:10 -0400, Imhotep <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>P.S. Jim, I am from English decent. Maybe I will move back to the UK and
    >>live next door to you :)

    > Unless you have an EU passport you can't come in :)
    >
    > However your Geography is a bit out.

    You live in England, yes?

    Imhotep, Oct 1, 2005
  13. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 14:30:05 -0400, Imhotep <>
    wrote:

    >You live in England, yes?

    you mean after all this time you never actually looked at
    my website? Shame. Check out the weather link.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Oct 1, 2005
  14. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:

    > On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 14:30:05 -0400, Imhotep <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>You live in England, yes?

    > you mean after all this time you never actually looked at
    > my website? Shame. Check out the weather link.
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    No, I never looked at your site, we were too busy arguing :) Wow,
    Gibraltar! Never been there but it sure does looks beautiful......

    Im

    Imhotep, Oct 2, 2005
  15. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 19:06:11 -0400, Imhotep <>
    wrote:

    >No, I never looked at your site, we were too busy arguing :) Wow,
    >Gibraltar! Never been there but it sure does looks beautiful......

    there, see what you missed :)

    Mind you, with the influx of internet gambling companies there
    is a considerable demand for computer people.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Oct 2, 2005