voip wifi phone recommendation needed

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Stephen Hammond, Feb 20, 2007.

  1. or are they all too dear

    Setphen

    Stephen Hammond, Feb 20, 2007

  2. In article <erfdge$6p6$1$>,
    Stephen Hammond <> wrote:
    >or are they all too dear

    I have a UTS F1000G. They can be had for about 100 quid.

    However I'd not recomend it for "serious" use - yet. Maybe they'll get
    a new release of the s/w out soon though.

    Good toy though, and when it's working, it's really good. (It loses
    contact with the access point after a while and needs rebooting)

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Feb 20, 2007

  3. Stephen Hammond

    Guest

    On 20 Feb 2007 21:00:36 GMT, (Gordon Henderson)
    wrote:

    >In article <erfdge$6p6$1$>,
    >Stephen Hammond <> wrote:
    >>or are they all too dear

    >I have a UTS F1000G. They can be had for about 100 quid.
    >
    >However I'd not recomend it for "serious" use - yet. Maybe they'll get
    >a new release of the s/w out soon though.
    >
    >Good toy though, and when it's working, it's really good. (It loses
    >contact with the access point after a while and needs rebooting)
    >
    >Gordon

    I am pleased you have posted this info Gordon I was thinking of buying
    one on Friday you have just persuaded me not to bother now with your
    comments about this phone , I will wait a little longer and get the
    Linksys at twice the price just goes to prove you only get what you
    pay for .

    , Feb 20, 2007
  4. Stephen Hammond

    Tim Bray Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > Good toy though, and when it's working, it's really good. (It loses
    > contact with the access point after a while and needs rebooting)

    May I ask which firmware version you using, and which kind of access
    point? Using WEP/WPA or not ?

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Feb 20, 2007
  5. Stephen Hammond

    Linker3000 Guest

    Stephen Hammond wrote:
    > or are they all too dear
    >
    > Setphen

    Is the Siemens Gigaset C450IP any good for you - it's not wifi but a
    DECT/SIP phone with a base station that connects to both your network
    via an RJ45 socket and to your regular landline (if you wish). I have
    used one both direct to voip.co.uk and via an Asterisk server.

    Might be worth a look if you're just after a phone to use round the
    house - about £65 ISTR.

    Linker3000, Feb 21, 2007
  6. Stephen Hammond

    Steve Hayes Guest

    wrote:

    > On 20 Feb 2007 21:00:36 GMT, (Gordon Henderson)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In article <erfdge$6p6$1$>,
    >>Stephen Hammond <> wrote:
    >>>or are they all too dear

    >>I have a UTS F1000G. They can be had for about 100 quid.
    >>
    >>However I'd not recomend it for "serious" use - yet. Maybe they'll get
    >>a new release of the s/w out soon though.
    >>
    >>Good toy though, and when it's working, it's really good. (It loses
    >>contact with the access point after a while and needs rebooting)
    >>
    >>Gordon

    > I am pleased you have posted this info Gordon I was thinking of buying
    > one on Friday you have just persuaded me not to bother now with your
    > comments about this phone , I will wait a little longer and get the
    > Linksys at twice the price just goes to prove you only get what you
    > pay for .

    I'd wait for a bit more feedback before deciding on this. You might not be
    any better off spending more.

    I have a UTS F1000 (quite old now) which I had a lot of trouble with at
    first - particularly failures to receive incoming calls. I did get it
    working OK by forwarding ports, etc. Then my Linksys wireless router
    failed. I replaced it with a Draytek and the F1000 has been close to
    flawless (with much better range too) ever since. It looks like the router
    has as much to do with whether things work as the phone does.

    In general, I'm very pleased with the F1000. It connects quickly compared to
    a phone connected via an ATA, has handy Caller Display and call log
    functions and can be easily used in several different locations provided
    that you have the network access configured for each one (maximum 4
    different configurations, I think). I've never tried using public access
    points though and doubt that it would be easy.

    A few negatives though:

    The menus are messy.

    The phone is sometimes unstable (continuous reconnections) while charging. I
    still haven't figured out what triggers this. Latest theory - perhaps it
    happens if my mobile phone is nearby.

    Very occasionally, the audio will start breaking up continuously in one
    direction during a call (a sort of chuffing effect). I don't know if this
    is the fault of the phone or not.

    Short of setting up an Asterisk server, you can't use the F1000 to make or
    receive calls via your landline. A standard cordless via something like an
    SPA3000 (or the Siemens???) would be worth considering for this reason
    alone if you only want to use it in one location.

    --
    ----Steve Hayes, South Wales, UK----
    Please remove colours from my e-mail address.

    Steve Hayes, Feb 21, 2007
  7. In article <45db6b34$0$764$>,
    Tim Bray <> wrote:
    >Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >> Good toy though, and when it's working, it's really good. (It loses
    >> contact with the access point after a while and needs rebooting)

    >May I ask which firmware version you using, and which kind of access
    >point? Using WEP/WPA or not ?

    Tried with many APs. I have an 802.11b one close to me using WEP and
    it's OK with that - but will de-register itself after some time.

    It won't register at all with an 802.11b/g AP at a clients site (using
    WPA).

    Firmware is 1.90st

    There doesn't appear to be any updates on their own website - refers me
    to the place I got it from, who don't have any either (on their website
    at least)

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Feb 21, 2007
  8. Stephen Hammond

    Tim Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:

    > There doesn't appear to be any updates on their own website - refers me
    > to the place I got it from, who don't have any either (on their website
    > at least)

    The latest I have is 2.71 for F1000G

    http://www.provu.co.uk/firmware/F1000G_Firmware_2.71st.zip

    And 4.5 for F1000b

    http://www.provu.co.uk/firmware/f1000b_Version_4dot5_TFTP_Package.zip

    I'm sure an upgrade will help.

    Regard WPA, utstarcom phones only support WPA with TKIP. Not AES. They
    fail silently when faced with an AES access point.

    Tim

    Tim, Feb 21, 2007
  9. Stephen Hammond

    Paul Hayes Guest

    Linker3000 wrote:
    > Stephen Hammond wrote:
    >> or are they all too dear
    >>
    >> Setphen
    >>

    > Is the Siemens Gigaset C450IP any good for you - it's not wifi but a
    > DECT/SIP phone with a base station that connects to both your network
    > via an RJ45 socket and to your regular landline (if you wish). I have
    > used one both direct to voip.co.uk and via an Asterisk server.
    >
    > Might be worth a look if you're just after a phone to use round the
    > house - about £65 ISTR.

    It's worth looking at (it's called a C460IP in the UK), DECT is a more
    robust protocol than 802.11b/g wifi. I'm yet to try a wifi phone that
    can handle roaming between access points properly.

    Paul Hayes, Feb 22, 2007
  10. Stephen Hammond

    Torsten Mann Guest

    Linker3000 wrote:
    > Stephen Hammond wrote:
    >> or are they all too dear
    >>
    >> Setphen
    >>

    > Is the Siemens Gigaset C450IP any good for you - it's not wifi but a
    > DECT/SIP phone with a base station that connects to both your network
    > via an RJ45 socket and to your regular landline (if you wish). I have
    > used one both direct to voip.co.uk and via an Asterisk server.

    I use the C450IP with Gizmo-Project/sipphone.com and it just work's
    great. Since I do not have a regular fixed phone line I bought a Buffalo
    G54S Router and set them up as a Client to catch Wifi internet access
    from my landlord :

    C450IP hooked up to the Buffalo's RJ45 Jack and the Buffalo connects
    (kinda bridge) via WIFI to my landlords wifi router. That's it and it
    works out great since I do not activate STUN capability.

    Brgds, Torsten.

    Torsten Mann, Mar 9, 2007
  11. Stephen Hammond

    alamgir

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2007
    Messages:
    3
    F1000 is rubbish

    Gentlemen, I also had the f1000 and have tried the utstarcom f3000 which in my opinion is alot better. Try www.cxvoipshop.com for VoIP phones and accessories or www.connexin.co.uk for a voIP service.

    I recently bought a the siemens C460 Dual mode DECT phone package and got 2 handsets with the base unit delivered the very next day!

    The phones work great and were easy to set up. My sister recently bought a cheaper device its a phone adapter that adds an internet line onto your existing service with BT etc it was only 34.99 and now we talk for free! Using connexin.

    Well hope that helped!

    alamgir, Mar 9, 2007
  12. Stephen Hammond

    alamgir