voip which provider ?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by brit-dub, Apr 3, 2006.

  1. brit-dub

    brit-dub Guest

    Help needed for a complete novice.

    Things I need it to do:

    A reliable service

    I need a 01604 Northampton area code (if someone is in Northampton do they
    still need to dial the area code for a voip number, or can they call it like
    a normal local number without a area code ?)

    To able to use it without my pc being on.

    It would also be nice to be able to forward calls to my mobile so I don't
    miss calls.

    The one that temps me is sipgate at the moment.

    Any other advice very welcome.

    Regards

    Brit

    brit-dub, Apr 3, 2006

  2. brit-dub

    PhilT Guest

    "I need a 01604 Northampton area code (if someone is in Northampton do
    they still need to dial the area code for a voip number, or can they
    call it like a normal local number without an area code ?)"

    like mobiles, VoIP phones require you to dial all the digits.

    Phil

    PhilT, Apr 3, 2006

  3. brit-dub

    Tim Guest

    brit-dub wrote:

    > I need a 01604 Northampton area code (if someone is in Northampton do they
    > still need to dial the area code for a voip number, or can they call it like
    > a normal local number without a area code ?)

    Other people can call you like it is any other number.

    Tim

    Tim, Apr 3, 2006
  4. brit-dub

    Alex Guest

    "PhilT" <> wrote in message
    > "I need a 01604 Northampton area code (if someone is in Northampton do
    > they still need to dial the area code for a voip number, or can they
    > call it like a normal local number without an area code ?)"
    >
    > like mobiles, VoIP phones require you to dial all the digits.
    >
    > Phil

    I read the question as "do *they* need to dial all the digits", so would
    someone in the 01604 area code need to dial 01604 before being connected to
    the OP's 01604 VOIP line. If this is the case then no, all a user on the
    PSTN needs to do is call the 6-digit number.

    A standard landline user in area code 01604 would only need to dial the last
    6 digits of your number. If you were to call them however from your phone,
    you would have to dial 01604 as the provider doesn't know what area code
    your adapter resides! (Well, technically it does, but they don't implement
    anything like that). The only way for you to have something like that would
    be to get an ATA adapter that supports dial plan, eg a Sipura, where if it
    recognises you dial a number 3xxxxx, it will prefix it with 01604 *before*
    it sends the request out to a provider (eg sipgate), so will request
    01604-3xxxxx from your provider. Sipgate wouldn't process a request without
    an area code, so it is made in the ATA before the request gets sent out
    (therefore ATA specific, not provider specific).
    However this isn't what I interpreted you were asking, I was merely
    explaining where the answer before mine came from.

    Alex

    Alex, Apr 3, 2006
  5. brit-dub

    brit-dub Guest

    "Alex" <> wrote in message

    > "PhilT" <> wrote in message
    >> "I need a 01604 Northampton area code (if someone is in Northampton do
    >> they still need to dial the area code for a voip number, or can they
    >> call it like a normal local number without an area code ?)"
    >>
    >> like mobiles, VoIP phones require you to dial all the digits.
    >>
    >> Phil
    >>

    > I read the question as "do *they* need to dial all the digits", so would
    > someone in the 01604 area code need to dial 01604 before being connected
    > to the OP's 01604 VOIP line. If this is the case then no, all a user on
    > the PSTN needs to do is call the 6-digit number.
    >
    > A standard landline user in area code 01604 would only need to dial the
    > last 6 digits of your number. If you were to call them however from your
    > phone, you would have to dial 01604 as the provider doesn't know what area
    > code your adapter resides! (Well, technically it does, but they don't
    > implement anything like that). The only way for you to have something like
    > that would be to get an ATA adapter that supports dial plan, eg a Sipura,
    > where if it recognises you dial a number 3xxxxx, it will prefix it with
    > 01604 *before* it sends the request out to a provider (eg sipgate), so
    > will request 01604-3xxxxx from your provider. Sipgate wouldn't process a
    > request without an area code, so it is made in the ATA before the request
    > gets sent out (therefore ATA specific, not provider specific).
    > However this isn't what I interpreted you were asking, I was merely
    > explaining where the answer before mine came from.
    >
    > Alex

    Hi Alex

    thanks for your reply, that's a perfect answer, sorry my question was not
    very clear.

    ok one more question, if a bt landline was to call me XXXXXX without the
    01604 what would the cost be to them ? is it the same price as if they were
    calling another local number ? or are there hidden charges to the caller ?

    thanks

    Brit

    brit-dub, Apr 3, 2006
  6. Thus spaketh brit-dub:

    >> Alex

    > Hi Alex
    >
    > thanks for your reply, that's a perfect answer, sorry my question was
    > not very clear.
    >
    > ok one more question, if a bt landline was to call me XXXXXX without
    > the 01604 what would the cost be to them ? is it the same price as if
    > they were calling another local number ? or are there hidden charges
    > to the caller ?
    > thanks
    >
    > Brit

    It would be BTs usual cost for calling 01 and 02 numbers, remember BT
    (residential) charges the same rate for national as it does for local.

    On BT Together 1

    BT charge 3p/min daytime to 01 and 02 numbers.

    5.5p for up to an hour evenings and weekends to 01 and 02 numbers.

    As your Sipgate number is an 01 number then that is the rate you pay, as you
    would if you called another BT number, NTL number, Telewest number.....

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Apr 3, 2006
  7. brit-dub

    ACDeag Guest

    PhilT presented the following explanation :
    > "I need a 01604 Northampton area code (if someone is in Northampton do
    > they still need to dial the area code for a voip number, or can they
    > call it like a normal local number without an area code ?)"
    >
    > like mobiles, VoIP phones require you to dial all the digits.
    >
    > Phil

    Freetalk does not require you to dial all the digits for same area code
    calls. In Edinburgh I just dial the 7 digit number.

    ACDeag, Apr 3, 2006
  8. brit-dub

    ACDeag Guest

    on 03/04/2006, brit-dub supposed :
    > Help needed for a complete novice.
    >
    > Things I need it to do:
    >
    > A reliable service
    >
    > I need a 01604 Northampton area code (if someone is in Northampton do they
    > still need to dial the area code for a voip number, or can they call it like
    > a normal local number without a area code ?)
    >
    > To able to use it without my pc being on.
    >
    > It would also be nice to be able to forward calls to my mobile so I don't
    > miss calls.
    >
    > The one that temps me is sipgate at the moment.
    >
    > Any other advice very welcome.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Brit

    www.freetalk.co.uk may answer your requirements. I know you do not need
    to dial all the numbers for local calls.

    ACDeag, Apr 3, 2006
  9. brit-dub

    Guest

    On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 19:55:32 +0100, ACDeag
    <> wrote:

    >www.freetalk.co.uk may answer your requirements. I know you do not need
    >to dial all the numbers for local calls.

    Yep Freetalk and Vonage are the only ones where you do not need to
    dial all the numbers to make a local call , you get what you pay for I
    suppose .

    , Apr 3, 2006
  10. brit-dub

    Jono Guest

    explained on 03/04/2006 :
    > On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 19:55:32 +0100, ACDeag
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> www.freetalk.co.uk may answer your requirements. I know you do not need
    >> to dial all the numbers for local calls.

    > Yep Freetalk and Vonage are the only ones where you do not need to
    > dial all the numbers to make a local call , you get what you pay for I
    > suppose .

    Can that behaviour be altered? - what if you live in one area & have a
    VoIP number for a different STD?

    It would be really frustrating to not be able to set your local area
    yourself!

    Jono, Apr 3, 2006
  11. brit-dub

    Guest

    On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 22:06:40 +0100, Jono
    <> wrote:

    >It would be really frustrating to not be able to set your local area
    >yourself!

    You can more or less choose which area code you want with most
    including Sipgate ( spit ) .

    , Apr 3, 2006
  12. brit-dub

    Jono Guest

    expressed precisely :
    > On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 22:06:40 +0100, Jono
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> It would be really frustrating to not be able to set your local area
    >> yourself!

    > You can more or less choose which area code you want with most
    > including Sipgate ( spit ) .

    No, youmissed my point.

    I live in Bradford (01274). I dial local numbers as 6 digit. I have a
    Leeds number (0113) from Sipgate. In Leeds, local numbers are 7 digits.

    I still want to dial 6 digit local /Bradford/ numbers, even though I
    have a Leeds number.

    With the services you promote, would I have to dial an 11 digit number
    for Bradford (01274XXXXXX) as the provider has decided that, because I
    have a Leeds number, I want to dial out, as if I live there?

    Jono, Apr 3, 2006
  13. brit-dub

    Guest

    On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 22:29:40 +0100, Jono
    <> wrote:

    >No, youmissed my point.

    Ok so are you saying you can dial from Bradford to Leeds by just
    dialing the local Leeds number and visa versa ? .
    I can only dial local numbers but it is possable that Bradford and
    leeds are joint I wouldn't know , With Freetalk and Vonage I found
    that I could dial any numbers the same has I would dial them using a
    BT line .

    , Apr 3, 2006
  14. brit-dub

    Jono Guest

    on 03/04/2006, supposed :
    > On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 22:29:40 +0100, Jono
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> No, youmissed my point.

    > Ok so are you saying you can dial from Bradford to Leeds by just
    > dialing the local Leeds number and visa versa ? .
    > I can only dial local numbers but it is possable that Bradford and
    > leeds are joint I wouldn't know , With Freetalk and Vonage I found
    > that I could dial any numbers the same has I would dial them using a
    > BT line .

    ..............I want a Leeds /inbound/ number but want to dial 6 digit
    local /Bradford/ numbers.

    It would appear that if I had service from the providers you suggest,
    if I wanted a /Leeds/ inbound number, I would have to dial as if I
    lived in Leeds. Is this the case?

    Jono, Apr 3, 2006
  15. brit-dub

    Guest

    On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 23:03:19 +0100, Jono
    <> wrote:

    >It would appear that if I had service from the providers you suggest,
    >if I wanted a /Leeds/ inbound number, I would have to dial as if I
    >lived in Leeds. Is this the case?

    Exactly the case just as I have to dial like I live in London from my
    Sipdiscount London number ,if you would need to dial a full Bradford
    number to call Bradford from Leeds I just wouldn't know but probably
    you would .

    , Apr 3, 2006
  16. brit-dub

    <> wrote:

    >..I want a Leeds /inbound/ number but want to dial 6 digit
    >local /Bradford/ numbers.

    Being able to dial short numbers is a matter of setting the dialplan
    in your ATA - nothing to do with which supplier you connect through.

    You tell the thing that all six figure numbers starting with 2 to 9
    have to be prefixed with 01274. You'd have to dial full Leeds numbers,
    though.

    , Apr 3, 2006
  17. wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 23:03:19 +0100, Jono
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> It would appear that if I had service from the providers you suggest,
    >> if I wanted a /Leeds/ inbound number, I would have to dial as if I
    >> lived in Leeds. Is this the case?

    > Exactly the case just as I have to dial like I live in London from my
    > Sipdiscount London number ,if you would need to dial a full Bradford
    > number to call Bradford from Leeds I just wouldn't know but probably
    > you would .

    Am I the only person that thinks this should be covered by the dialplan
    of the device you are using to make the phone call rather than a provider?

    Thomas Kenyon, Apr 4, 2006
  18. brit-dub

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 23:03:19 +0100, Jono
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> It would appear that if I had service from the providers you suggest,
    >>> if I wanted a /Leeds/ inbound number, I would have to dial as if I
    >>> lived in Leeds. Is this the case?

    >> Exactly the case just as I have to dial like I live in London from my
    >> Sipdiscount London number ,if you would need to dial a full Bradford
    >> number to call Bradford from Leeds I just wouldn't know but probably
    >> you would .

    > Am I the only person that thinks this should be covered by the dialplan
    > of the device you are using to make the phone call rather than a provider?

    No.

    Paul Cupis, Apr 4, 2006
  19. brit-dub

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "PhilT" <> wrote in message
    > "I need a 01604 Northampton area code (if someone is in
    > Northampton do they still need to dial the area code for
    > a voip number, or can they call it like a normal local
    > number without an area code ?)"
    >
    > like mobiles, VoIP phones require you to dial all the
    > digits.

    Not for callers calling the number from the same area code on the PSTN.

    If you are using an ATA that allows dial plans, you can also set it up so
    that you can dial out to local numbers without the code, although this
    does require some detailed knowledge of how dial plans work and is not for
    the beginner..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Apr 4, 2006
  20. brit-dub

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > on 03/04/2006, supposed :
    > > On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 22:29:40 +0100, Jono
    > > <> wrote:
    > >

    > > > No, youmissed my point.

    > > Ok so are you saying you can dial from Bradford to
    > > Leeds by just dialing the local Leeds number and visa
    > > versa ? . I can only dial local numbers but it is possable that
    > > Bradford and leeds are joint I wouldn't know , With
    > > Freetalk and Vonage I found that I could dial any
    > > numbers the same has I would dial them using a BT line .

    > .............I want a Leeds /inbound/ number but want to
    > dial 6 digit local /Bradford/ numbers.
    >
    > It would appear that if I had service from the providers
    > you suggest, if I wanted a /Leeds/ inbound number, I
    > would have to dial as if I lived in Leeds. Is this the
    > case?

    Assuming local dialling within the area code your number is in, as far as
    the outside world is concerned that is where you are, even though you
    aren't really. So if you are using a Leeds number then as far as the
    system is concerned you are in Leeds so you would have to dial the code to
    call a Bradford number.

    I have a London number and a Birmingham number on Sipgate. I have set my
    ATA to allow local dialling within those areas, so if I am dialling out on
    the London number and I am calling another London number, I dial the 8
    digit London local number. Similarly if I dial out on the Birmingham
    number to a Birmingham number, I dial the 7 digit local number.

    Calling a London number from the Birmingham one would require dialling the
    full number, exactly as if I were using a POTS line.

    Of course you could just dial all the digits as you would for a mobile..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Apr 4, 2006