    Thanks

    Dave
    , Feb 27, 2006

  2. paul123 Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Just a few questions to you experts out there before i go for voip at
    > home.
    >
    > I want to get the voip option that will use a seperate router without
    > using my PC (fritz ata?) as i want to interface it with my internal
    > phone system and access it throughout the house.
    >
    > 1. What is the charge to ring a voip number from a standard uk number
    > on BT?

    The caller gets charged the normal BT charges (or whichever company
    you connect with)

    > 2. A couple of companys offer you to choose what area code phone number
    > you require, if i choose one from Sussex (where I originally lived)
    > rather than Devon (where I live now) will my family be able to call me
    > at the local call rate.

    If your family is in Sussex - they'lll get charged local rate to call a
    Sussex local number.

    > 3. Has anyone had any experience of my intended set up?

    Yes,a lot of regulars on this group use ATAs or VoIP routers.

    > 4.So go on what company should I opt for, at the end of the day I want
    > to save money making all the usual calls, local, mobile, long distance
    > (well Devon>Sussex) I will not be making international calls

    So many to choose from, but check out voip.co.uk, voiptalk.org,
    sipgate.co.uk, sipdiscount.com, voipstunt.com and internetcalls.com
    (these last three are from the same company).

    Paul
    paul123, Feb 27, 2006

  3. Thus spaketh paul123:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> 2. A couple of companys offer you to choose what area code phone
    >> number you require, if i choose one from Sussex (where I originally
    >> lived) rather than Devon (where I live now) will my family be able
    >> to call me at the local call rate.

    > If your family is in Sussex - they'lll get charged local rate to call
    > a Sussex local number.

    Also worth noting that for non-business customers (residential) the vast
    majority of telecom service providers don't differentiate between local or
    nationa calls pricing wisel, even BT, on their Together plan they charge the
    same rate to call 01 and 02 numbers whether they are local or national.

    --
    For £5 when referred to easyMobile contact me via
    www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 27, 2006
  4. Guest

    On 27 Feb 2006 00:25:17 -0800, wrote:

    >I want to get the voip option that will use a seperate router without
    >using my PC (fritz ata?) as i want to interface it with my internal
    >phone system and access it throughout the house.

    That's standard.

    >1. What is the charge to ring a voip number from a standard uk number
    >on BT?

    It depends. Some VOIP services give you a proper 'local' number, so
    the call charges are the standard ones. Some issue an 0870 or (maybe)
    0845 number, which costs more to call. Some issue numbers from another
    range, but I don't know the details. I'd only consider a standard
    local number.

    >2. A couple of companys offer you to choose what area code phone number
    >you require, if i choose one from Sussex (where I originally lived)
    >rather than Devon (where I live now) will my family be able to call me
    >at the local call rate.

    Yes, but as there is no difference between local and national calls
    any more, it doesn't matter.

    >3. Has anyone had any experience of my intended set up?

    Loads of people.

    >4.So go on what company should I opt for, at the end of the day I want
    >to save money making all the usual calls, local, mobile, long distance
    >(well Devon>Sussex) I will not be making international calls

    To many to say. It depends what numbers you will call, when, how many,
    etc etc.

    We use sipgate.co.uk and voip.co.uk but there are loads of others.
    , Mar 3, 2006
  5. "paul123" <> wrote in message

    > So many to choose from, but check out voip.co.uk, voiptalk.org,
    > sipgate.co.uk, sipdiscount.com, voipstunt.com and internetcalls.com
    > (these last three are from the same company).

    I tried on the Voipstunt website but there seems to be no info about how to
    use an IP phone with their service, and it appear that you must use their
    softphone.

    Do you know if there is a way around this problem?
    Motorcyclesaur, Mar 4, 2006
  6. BigBen Guest

    >"paul123" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> So many to choose from, but check out voip.co.uk, voiptalk.org,
    >> sipgate.co.uk, sipdiscount.com, voipstunt.com and internetcalls.com
    >> (these last three are from the same company).

    Good point: the last 3 being from the same company, price issues
    aside, technically, do they work exactly the same way??

    If not, what are the diferences?

    TIA,
    jbr
    BigBen, Mar 10, 2006