    voicemails.
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Jan 31, 2012

  2. Per alexd:
    >(PeteCresswell) (for it is he) wrote:
    >
    >> I think I know the answer, but does anybody know of a service
    >> where one pays a monthly fee or buys prepaid minutes and their
    >> cell phone makes/receives calls via a separate VOIP provider
    >> instead of over the cell provider's network?

    >Yeah, looks like it but I haven't used it myself:
    >
    > http://aa.net.uk/kb-telecoms-sip2sim.html

    That looks like *exactly* what I was hoping for.

    Didn't really expect it tb possible... but there it is.

    And the rates look *really* reasonable....

    Thanks!
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Jan 31, 2012

  3. In article <>, alexd <> wrote:
    >(PeteCresswell) (for it is he) wrote:
    >
    >> Didn't really expect it tb possible... but there it is.
    >>
    >> And the rates look *really* reasonable....

    >I think they're reselling AQL or Three's product so there may be others who
    >sell it too.

    I think Gradwell are also offering something similar.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Feb 1, 2012
  4. (PeteCresswell)

    Graham. Guest

    On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 21:45:38 -0000, "R. Mark Clayton"
    <> wrote:

    >"(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message
    >>I think I know the answer, but does anybody know of a service
    >> where one pays a monthly fee or buys prepaid minutes and their
    >> cell phone makes/receives calls via a separate VOIP provider
    >> instead of over the cell provider's network?
    >>
    >> The rationale would be insulation from robocalls - which are
    >> becoming more than just a nuisance for some.
    >>
    >> i.e. With the VOIP service, one could set up a voice menu "Press
    >> 1 for Joe, Press 2 for Sue, Press 3 for......" which could defeat
    >> robocalls to the extent that they could not even leave
    >> voicemails.
    >> --
    >> Pete Cresswell

    >High end Nokia's support VOIP native. Voipfone works over 3g, although you
    >will need a contract that allows it or they will cut you off. The phone
    >sends or receives calls on either [GSM / UMTS or VOIP].

    The Skype to SIP gateway I set up three years ago is still going
    strong and in use every day.
    The machine it runs on has now got Windows 7 on it, I couldn't get
    the gateway to run so it runs in a XP Virtual machine using a modest
    256 MB of physical memory.
    http://skypegateway.webs.com/

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Feb 1, 2012
  5. (PeteCresswell)

    Chris Davies Guest

    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:
    > I think I know the answer, but does anybody know of a service
    > where one pays a monthly fee or buys prepaid minutes and their
    > cell phone makes/receives calls via a separate VOIP provider
    > instead of over the cell provider's network?

    I've installed a couple of apps on my smartphone that let me do exactly
    this. "Sipdroid" works well with Sipgate as the VoIP provider. Inbound
    and outbound. I'm currently trying out the SMSListo (Finarea) app, as
    it seems a lot more lightweight and my HTC doesn't struggle with it so
    much. Downside is that it's outbound calls only but that's not currently
    a problem for me.

    Chris

    Chris Davies, Feb 2, 2012
  6. Per R. Mark Clayton:
    >High end Nokia's support VOIP native. Voipfone works over 3g, although you
    >will need a contract that allows it or they will cut you off.

    Sounds promising.

    I wonder how the rates stack up - i.e. how many k of data at what
    cost matches up to a minute of conventional phone billing.
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Feb 2, 2012
  7. On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 17:00 -0500, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Per alexd:
    > >(PeteCresswell) (for it is he) wrote:
    > >
    > >> I think I know the answer, but does anybody know of a service
    > >> where one pays a monthly fee or buys prepaid minutes and their
    > >> cell phone makes/receives calls via a separate VOIP provider
    > >> instead of over the cell provider's network?

    > >Yeah, looks like it but I haven't used it myself:
    > >
    > > http://aa.net.uk/kb-telecoms-sip2sim.html

    > That looks like *exactly* what I was hoping for.
    >
    > Didn't really expect it tb possible... but there it is.
    >
    > And the rates look *really* reasonable....
    >
    > Thanks!

    Note that the A&A service is on the Three network, and doesn't have any
    2G fallback. You'll *only* get service if you're lucky enough to have 3G
    coverage. It doesn't even do UMA.

    And when you have 3G coverage, you mostly have a good enough data
    connection just to make VoIP calls directly from the handset as *VoIP*
    anyway.

    I'm not sure that's exactly what you asked for anyway. It goes over the
    cell provider's network and from there to the VoIP service of your
    choice. If you want VoIP *instead* of the cell network (using wifi or
    maybe 3G data), then just get a decent phone and it should support it
    out of the box. Or install an app to do it.

    --
    dwmw2

    David Woodhouse, Feb 4, 2012