    place a call to someone using a ATA (sipura) connected to a router?

    Is the reverse possible (ATA call to USB voip phone)?

    Thanks!
    ChrisR, Dec 14, 2005

  2. ChrisR

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "ChrisR" <> wrote in message
    news:dnoj9f$4fc$
    > Is is possible for a user with a USB voip phone (plugged
    > in a PC) to place a call to someone using a ATA (sipura)
    > connected to a router?

    Why wouldn't it be..?

    > Is the reverse possible (ATA call to USB voip phone)?

    Yes.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 14, 2005

  3. ChrisR

    ChrisR Guest

    > Why wouldn't it be..?

    I don't know enough about the basic architecture to make an informed
    decision. Is it just a matter of dialing the ip of one phone from the
    other? Thanks.
    ChrisR, Dec 14, 2005
  4. ChrisR

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "ChrisR" <> wrote in message
    > > Why wouldn't it be..?
    > >

    > I don't know enough about the basic architecture to make
    > an informed decision. Is it just a matter of dialing
    > the ip of one phone from the other? Thanks.

    It *can* be that simple, but it rarely is..! Usually, you register with
    one of the many VoIP providers, who allocate you a phone number that can
    be dialled from anywhere, including the PSTN. Depending on the provider,
    it can be free or more usually a small monthly charge. Calls to other
    users on the same system and others that have a peering agreement are
    free, calls to the PSTN are charged, but are almost always cheaper than
    using a POTS phone.

    www.voxilla.com is a good starting place for info and discussions.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 14, 2005