    Cheers

    Peter

    Please remove the invalid to reply
    Peter, Aug 25, 2005

  2. Peter

    Jono Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My daugter is starting in KCL next month. Her room in halls has a Uni
    > computer connection available.
    >
    > Can anyone please advise me if she will be able to use VOIP via this
    > connection or is it something the Uni is likely to block?
    >

    > --
    > Cheers
    >
    > Peter
    >
    > Please remove the invalid to reply

    She would certainly be able to make use of skype, I would've thought. I've
    never had any issues with it - it works all the time for me.

    "Traditional" SIP based VOIP would be more problematic with port forwarding
    required.
    Jono, Aug 25, 2005

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:55:29 GMT, "Jono" <> wrote:

    >"Peter" <> wrote in message
    >> My daugter is starting in KCL next month. Her room in halls has a Uni
    >> computer connection available.
    >>
    >> Can anyone please advise me if she will be able to use VOIP via this
    >> connection or is it something the Uni is likely to block?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Peter
    >>
    >> Please remove the invalid to reply

    >She would certainly be able to make use of skype, I would've thought. I've
    >never had any issues with it - it works all the time for me.
    >
    >"Traditional" SIP based VOIP would be more problematic with port forwarding
    >required.

    Thanks - I'll give Skype a try then.

    Peter, Aug 25, 2005
  4. Jono wrote:
    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>My daugter is starting in KCL next month. Her room in halls has a Uni
    >>computer connection available.
    >>
    >>Can anyone please advise me if she will be able to use VOIP via this
    >>connection or is it something the Uni is likely to block?
    >>

    >>--
    >>Cheers
    >>
    >>Peter
    >>
    >>Please remove the invalid to reply

    > She would certainly be able to make use of skype, I would've thought. I've
    > never had any issues with it - it works all the time for me.
    >
    > "Traditional" SIP based VOIP would be more problematic with port forwarding
    > required.

    Err why would it?

    I've not been to KCL, but generally universites give you a real IP
    address, so the limitations of being behind a NAT are not relevant.

    If she is using a softphone (like skype) then it shouldn't matter which
    provier or protocol she uses.
    Thomas Rankin, Aug 25, 2005
  5. Peter

    F9 Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > My daugter is starting in KCL next month. Her room in halls has a Uni
    > computer connection available.
    >
    > Can anyone please advise me if she will be able to use VOIP via this
    > connection or is it something the Uni is likely to block?

    Generally speaking universities do not like you eating their bandwidth and
    ban anything resembling P2P and telephony. Unless they specifically say so,
    I would assume they wont like it. You might get away with it for ashort
    while, but then they will clamp down.
    F9, Aug 25, 2005
  6. Peter

    Ian Guest

    "Thomas Rankin" <> wrote in message
    > Jono wrote:
    > > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>My daugter is starting in KCL next month. Her room in halls has a Uni
    > >>computer connection available.
    > >>
    > >>Can anyone please advise me if she will be able to use VOIP via this
    > >>connection or is it something the Uni is likely to block?
    > >>

    > >>--
    > >>Cheers
    > >>
    > >>Peter
    > >>
    > >>Please remove the invalid to reply

    > > She would certainly be able to make use of skype, I would've thought.

    I've
    > > never had any issues with it - it works all the time for me.
    > >
    > > "Traditional" SIP based VOIP would be more problematic with port

    forwarding
    > > required.
    > >

    > Err why would it?
    >
    > I've not been to KCL, but generally universites give you a real IP
    > address, so the limitations of being behind a NAT are not relevant.
    >
    > If she is using a softphone (like skype) then it shouldn't matter which
    > provier or protocol she uses.

    The halls will normally have comms provided by the FM company running the
    halls. The ones I worked on did not give external addresses and had very
    tight firwall rules and blocked a great many ports. Also workstations on the
    campus's that I have worked on dont have external addresses either and also
    block ports.

    Ian
    Ian, Aug 25, 2005
  7. Peter

    Hellraiser Guest

    > She would certainly be able to make use of skype, I would've thought. I've
    > never had any issues with it - it works all the time for me.
    >
    > "Traditional" SIP based VOIP would be more problematic with port
    > forwarding required.

    Not necessarily. In order to get Skype to work at work, I had to tweak the
    firewall as the relevant ports were blocked - as Skype uses the same sort of
    ports as P2P clients, they will most likely be blocked as well.

    Hellraiser............>
    Hellraiser, Aug 25, 2005
  8. Peter

    Mark Adamson Guest

    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >> My daugter is starting in KCL next month. Her room in halls has a Uni
    >> computer connection available.
    >>
    >> Can anyone please advise me if she will be able to use VOIP via this
    >> connection or is it something the Uni is likely to block?

    > Generally speaking universities do not like you eating their bandwidth and
    > ban anything resembling P2P and telephony. Unless they specifically say
    > so, I would assume they wont like it. You might get away with it for
    > ashort while, but then they will clamp down.

    While this will be true for some unis, others (like mine) are really keen
    for students to make best (legal) use of the internet connections. It would
    be best trying to find the helpdesk email addresses or telephone numbers for
    the IT services department and get in touch with them to ask them what their
    policies are, and whether sip or skype traffic has enough bandwidth priority
    to make decent calls.

    At the end of the day, it would be worth trying out sip (with xlite or
    equivalent), skype and google talk when you get there before you bought a
    sip adaptor, or sip phone if that is what you ultimately wanted to do.

    Mark
    Mark Adamson, Aug 26, 2005
  9. Peter

    Andy Evans Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > My daugter is starting in KCL next month. Her room in halls has a Uni
    > computer connection available.
    >
    > Can anyone please advise me if she will be able to use VOIP via this
    > connection or is it something the Uni is likely to block?

    I think the answer to the question is, if the Uni provides a public IP
    address to your daughter then yes, otherwise no.

    Andy
    Andy Evans, Sep 16, 2005