VOIP Tutorial

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Fred Atkinson, Mar 31, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    I'm trying to find a good tutorial that explains VOIP 'in a
    nutshell'.

    The textbooks go into too much detail for my purposes. I am
    looking for something that someone can read and come away with a basic
    understanding of the technical detais of VOIP.

    If you have any URLs and could send them my way, I'd really
    appreciate it.

    Regards,



    Fred
    --
    NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth
     
    Fred Atkinson, Mar 31, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Fred Atkinson

    Nick Ward Guest

    Fred Atkinson wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm trying to find a good tutorial that explains VOIP 'in a
    > nutshell'.
    >
    > The textbooks go into too much detail for my purposes. I am
    > looking for something that someone can read and come away with a basic
    > understanding of the technical detais of VOIP.
    >
    > If you have any URLs and could send them my way, I'd really
    > appreciate it.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    >
    >
    > Fred
    > --
    > NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth


    http://tinyurl.com/cnpbh
     
    Nick Ward, Mar 31, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Fred Atkinson

    Stuart Ward Guest

    Stuart Ward, Apr 1, 2006
    #3
  4. On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 23:20:09 GMT, Stuart Ward
    <> wrote:

    >> http://tinyurl.com/cnpbh

    >
    >I would suggest wikipedia
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VoIP



    Well, neither one of these explain the packet structure and
    related technical information.

    Do you konw of anything better than this?

    Regards,



    Fred
    --
    NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth
     
    Fred Atkinson, Apr 4, 2006
    #4
  5. Fred Atkinson

    Tim Bray Guest

    Fred Atkinson wrote:
    >
    > Well, neither one of these explain the packet structure and
    > related technical information.


    Packet structure. That is one hell of a complicated question.

    First, you need to decide which VoIP protocol you are interested in.
    Viable options are SIP, IAX, H.323 and MGCP, plus a lot of proprietary
    protocols usually based on one of those.

    SIP is probably the most popular.

    If you want to know all the details, then read RFC 3261. Not for the
    faint hearted.
    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3261.txt

    Also RFC 1889 - RTP - this is how the audio/video data is transmitted

    And RFC 2327 - SDP - for describing the RTP sessions.



    Tim
     
    Tim Bray, Apr 7, 2006
    #5
  6. On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 00:41:46 +0100, Tim Bray <>
    wrote:

    >
    >Also RFC 1889 - RTP - this is how the audio/video data is transmitted


    And RFC 3551 for the A/V profile - it describes how the data for
    various codecs are carried within RTP.
     
    Darren J Longhorn, Apr 8, 2006
    #6
  7. Fred Atkinson

    Tim Bray Guest

    Darren J Longhorn wrote:

    > And RFC 3551 for the A/V profile - it describes how the data for
    > various codecs are carried within RTP.


    I've never read that one before. You learn something everyday.

    Bookmarked for reading another day.

    Tim
     
    Tim Bray, Apr 8, 2006
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. ShaperShifter

    Useful VOIP tutorial link

    ShaperShifter, May 25, 2004, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    726
    ShaperShifter
    Jun 10, 2004
  2. sitekeeper
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    513
    sitekeeper
    Jun 3, 2004
  3. sitekeeper
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,228
    sitekeeper
    Jun 3, 2004
  4. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    772
  5. kimi
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    438
    dave @ stejonda
    Jan 28, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page