    In the mean time, is there a way for other voip users to call me? For
    instance, can they use an address like username.voip.teliax.com to ring me
    using a softphone?

    Vox Humana, Mar 11, 2005

  2. Vox Humana

    Pepperoni Guest

    Usually, peer-to-peer is free. If you know another user on the same
    provider, you can call.

    I don't know how you would test the system without a working number.

    The PAP2 device has ports for using a standard telephone handset.

    If you want to use a soft phone you don't need the router for VOIP. You do
    need to purchase minutes or talk peer-to-peer.

    If you merely want to use a softphone to try out voip, try Voiceglo or
    sipphone. Download either and send me your number--- I'll give you a call.
    (voiceglo is simple and free <bluephone>, sipphone has test numbers for
    testing.<also free>)

    Pepperoni

    "Vox Humana" <> wrote in message
    > I really new to this, so I hope the question isn't too basic. I have
    > established an account with a voip provider - Teliax. I set up the soft
    > phone (xten) and got the ATA today (Lynksys PAP-2) and set that up. I

    don't
    > have a phone number yet because I want to test the system and everything

    is

    Pepperoni, Mar 11, 2005

  3. Vox Humana

    Vox Humana Guest

    "Pepperoni" <> wrote in message
    > Usually, peer-to-peer is free. If you know another user on the same
    > provider, you can call.
    >
    > I don't know how you would test the system without a working number.
    >
    > The PAP2 device has ports for using a standard telephone handset.
    >
    > If you want to use a soft phone you don't need the router for VOIP. You do
    > need to purchase minutes or talk peer-to-peer.
    >
    > If you merely want to use a softphone to try out voip, try Voiceglo or
    > sipphone. Download either and send me your number--- I'll give you a

    call.
    > (voiceglo is simple and free <bluephone>, sipphone has test numbers for
    > testing.<also free>)

    According to Teliax, calls to other Teliax customers are free. I have an
    ATA and software and it works fine for outgoing calls. I was just curious
    if it was possible for someone to call me my using my user name and VOIP
    provider's address without having a traditional phone number. It seems like
    it should be possible, but as I say, I'm new to all of this. I will
    eventually have a phone number.

    Along these lines, I was also wondering if someone could setup their
    softphone with my account information and then call me (after I get a real
    number) without out a charge. It would be a call from me to me. According
    to Teliax, my account will support two simultaneous calls. I realize that
    this would be a risk since they could also then make other calls at my
    expense so it would have to be a trusted family member.

    Vox Humana, Mar 11, 2005