    thanks

    Peter

    , Sep 26, 2006

  2. Paul Cupis Guest

    wrote:
    > I were always wondering how a voip system connects to "traditional"
    > phone systems. Do voip providers have a contract with each phone
    > provider they are connected to? Do they have separate gateways to each
    > phone provider?
    > And how is it possible, that calling normal phones (landline and mobile
    > as well) through a voip provider is usually cheaper than calling them
    > directly, sometimes even from the same network?

    A VoIP operator will typically have one or more connection/interconnects
    with network operators who can offer PSTN-VoIP gateways. Some VoIP
    operators will interconnect via VoIP, others via TDM.

    Companies who offer PSTN-VoIP gateways will interconnect with other
    operators, sometimes only one, often more than one. You can either
    interconnect with every single other operator (not easy) or you can buy
    transit from one or more of the people you interconnect with, so for
    example you send all of your mobile calls to C&W and they "pass them
    on", if you don't have an interconnect with the mobile operator.

    The reason they are normally cheaper is because they are paying
    wholesale rates to their upstream rather then retail rates. Some will be
    subsidising calls or taking a blend (i.e. offering free calls which are
    chargable to them but their upstream, or by offering an amount of free
    calls but charging a higher standard monthly subscription).

    Paul Cupis, Sep 26, 2006