    of Skype or can it be used for other VOIP service.

    Additionaly can anyone recomend good places where it can be purchased

    Thanks
    Tony, Jun 15, 2005

  2. Tony

    Ian Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    news:d8pgsv$ebe$1$...
    > I want to use my existing panasonic cordless phone to access VOIP

    services.
    > I have been told the above type of product will allow me to that. The
    > question I have is with this type of product is it limited to the services
    > of Skype or can it be used for other VOIP service.
    >
    > Additionaly can anyone recomend good places where it can be purchased
    >
    > Thanks

    Ok, So you want us to tell you whether the "thing" you have been told about
    will be limited to skype or can be use with other services, But you dont
    mention the make or whether the unit is stand alone or is connected to a PC.
    So heres a guess at an answer If its connected to a PC it will be just a usb
    adaptor and could possibly be used with other services . If its a stand
    alone box and it works with skype odds on it wont be able to work with other
    services, Since skype uses their own protocol and not SIP or IAX which most
    other voip providers use

    But without knowing what the "box" is no difinitive answer can be given.

    Ian
    Ian, Jun 15, 2005

  3. Tony

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Ian writes

    >"Tony" <> wrote in message
    >> I want to use my existing panasonic cordless phone to access VOIP

    >services.
    >> I have been told the above type of product will allow me to that. The
    >> question I have is with this type of product is it limited to the services
    >> of Skype or can it be used for other VOIP service.
    >>
    >> Additionaly can anyone recomend good places where it can be purchased
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >Ok, So you want us to tell you whether the "thing" you have been told about
    >will be limited to skype or can be use with other services, But you dont
    >mention the make or whether the unit is stand alone or is connected to a PC.
    >So heres a guess at an answer If its connected to a PC it will be just a usb
    >adaptor and could possibly be used with other services . If its a stand
    >alone box and it works with skype odds on it wont be able to work with other
    >services, Since skype uses their own protocol and not SIP or IAX which most
    >other voip providers use
    >
    >But without knowing what the "box" is no difinitive answer can be given.

    He could be talking about an ATA or even an * box.

    No point in hazarding a guess without further info.

    DF
    David Floyd, Jun 15, 2005
  4. Tony

    Ian Guest

    "David Floyd" <> wrote in message
    > In message of Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Ian writes
    > >
    > >"Tony" <> wrote in message
    > >> I want to use my existing panasonic cordless phone to access VOIP

    > >services.
    > >> I have been told the above type of product will allow me to that. The
    > >> question I have is with this type of product is it limited to the

    services
    > >> of Skype or can it be used for other VOIP service.
    > >>
    > >> Additionaly can anyone recomend good places where it can be purchased
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >>

    > >Ok, So you want us to tell you whether the "thing" you have been told

    about
    > >will be limited to skype or can be use with other services, But you dont
    > >mention the make or whether the unit is stand alone or is connected to a

    PC.
    > >So heres a guess at an answer If its connected to a PC it will be just a

    usb
    > >adaptor and could possibly be used with other services . If its a stand
    > >alone box and it works with skype odds on it wont be able to work with

    other
    > >services, Since skype uses their own protocol and not SIP or IAX which

    most
    > >other voip providers use
    > >
    > >But without knowing what the "box" is no difinitive answer can be given.
    > >

    > He could be talking about an ATA or even an * box.

    AfAIK no standalone ATA works with skype and * doesnt either.

    > No point in hazarding a guess without further info.

    This is what I was pointing out

    But the guess I have made will assist him.

    Ian
    Ian, Jun 15, 2005
  5. On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:15:15 +0100, "Tony" <> wrote:

    >I have been told the above type of product will allow me to that. The
    >question I have is with this type of product is it limited to the services
    >of Skype or can it be used for other VOIP service.

    you didn't say what it is, as others have pointed out.

    Skype is very specifically tied to a computer, you can get an adapter
    to interface to an analogue phone
    <http://www.voipuser.org/review_12.html> which is just a glorified USB
    sound card and HID adapter.

    The other Analogue Telephone Adapters are generally SIP based so will
    work with any SIP based VoIP service and not with Skype,
    Reviews at <http://www.voipuser.org/review_index_all.html>

    Services use certain protocols and adapters support one or more of
    these, so you need to consider the service/adapter/protocol
    combination when choosing what to buy.

    Phil
    --
    spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
    Come on down !
    Phil Thompson, Jun 16, 2005
  6. Tony

    Marc Popek Guest

    VOIP $ PSTN auto switch was Re: VoIP to Analogue Phonebox

    There is a clt pstn to voip auto switch they may work

    marco
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5786887222&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

    Marc Popek, Jul 4, 2005
  7. Re: VOIP $ PSTN auto switch was Re: VoIP to Analogue Phonebox

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 22:27:36 GMT, "Marc Popek" <> wrote:

    >There is a clt pstn to voip auto switch they may work

    that'll be the one that isn't CE marked for UK use and may or may not
    work on our phone lines will it ?

    you're advertising, Marc, admit it. Thought you would be drinking
    Budweiser all night to celebrate getting rid of our influence, rather
    than trying to sell us things we don't want and shouldn't use :)

    Phil
    Phil Thompson, Jul 4, 2005
  8. Tony

    Ivor Jones Guest

    > On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 22:27:36 GMT, "Marc Popek" <> wrote:
    >
    >>There is a clt pstn to voip auto switch they may work

    > that'll be the one that isn't CE marked for UK use and may or may not
    > work on our phone lines will it ?
    >
    > you're advertising, Marc, admit it. Thought you would be drinking
    > Budweiser all night to celebrate getting rid of our influence, rather
    > than trying to sell us things we don't want and shouldn't use :)

    Oh he's advertising all right, you should see what he posts in
    comp.dcom.voice-over-ip.

    I've given up reporting him, nothing seems to happen. He's just in my
    killfile now.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 5, 2005
  9. Re: VOIP $ PSTN auto switch was Re: VoIP to Analogue Phonebox

    On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 00:04:46 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Oh he's advertising all right, you should see what he posts in
    >comp.dcom.voice-over-ip.

    just saw that. Eek !

    12.72.37.180 is on some blacklists. Killfile it is.

    Phil
    Phil Thompson, Jul 5, 2005
  10. Tony

    Al Guest

    Re: VOIP $ PSTN auto switch was Re: VoIP to Analogue Phonebox

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 22:27:36 GMT, Marc Popek wrote:

    >There is a clt pstn to voip auto switch they may work

    It may work in Nevada, but probably not in UK. But I'm sure as long as
    it lines your pocket, it'll work for you, huh?
    Al, Jul 5, 2005
  11. Tony

    Marc Popek Guest

    Re: VOIP $ PSTN auto switch was Re: VoIP to Analogue Phonebox

    On the contrary, my manufacturing partner is British and the units are quite
    popular in EU and England, as well.

    Sorry for the overly spamming posts

    Marc

    Marc Popek, Jul 6, 2005